C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you raise the front of a C5?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 05:11 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default How do you raise the front of a C5?

OK... I know this is almost a crazy thought... but I am so tired of scraping the front end... just to in or out of my driveway. I think 1/2" would do it. Ok I also have a 72 Stringray, and it does not scrape. Is it possible to raise.... or only lower?
Thanks for your help, as I have done a lot of the mods listed on here, you guys are great, and have help me solve alot of problems. :auto: :auto:
Old 10-25-2003, 05:32 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03
Default Re: How do you raise the front of a C5? (AtHomeSoda)

If you are only scraping the front air dam, relax, you're not hurting anything. The center part of the airdam is hinged and designed to flex back when hit...the outer pieces are very soft and flexible.
If you were to ever wear them out, all 3 pieces can be replaced for about $50 from GM.

If you are scraping the metal skid rails, look into adding framesavers...which are little wheels that bolt on to the rails so you no longer scrape, but roll over obstacles. They are available at A&A Corvette, Eckler's, WCC that I know of.

If you are insistent on raising the car up, follow the lowering procedure for the front in the tech tips section here (look under "tools" above), but turn the adjusting bolts the other way. (turning the 10mm hex clockwise will thread the bolt down into the spring more). You will want to place a jack under the spring itself to take as much of the tension off as possible to make the adjusting bolt easier to turn.

:cheers:
Old 10-25-2003, 05:47 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How do you raise the front of a C5? (Y2Kvert4me)

It is the Ski's that scrape... and I did see the wheels... but they look like they hang down a lot..and I thought they will hit (but roll) alot more... I see everybody wants to lower, and it looks great... but I can't get out of my driveway now, without that loud... makes peope grit their teeth, sound... I try to do the 45 degree thing... but it is just too steep. Anybody have the rollers installed? :chevy

[Modified by AtHomeSoda, 10:51 PM 10/25/2003]
Old 10-25-2003, 06:49 PM
Andy@A&ACorvette
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 202 Likes on 125 Posts

I've sold thousands over the years. Cheap insurance. :cheers:
Old 10-25-2003, 07:00 PM
torched you
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why dont you lower your driveway :jester i know the sound and you can lift it but i think the cars are too high from the factory much less makeing them higher i would look in too the itmes the guys mentined above im also looking in to buying the frame savers even if they hit things more ofton at least they will roll with no noise and not SCRAPE i hate that even doe it dont hurt the car at all... :party: :cheers:
:cheers:
:cheers: o ya i've seen some guys trim off a inch inch 1/2 off the 3 air dam pieces that also works good from what i've herd but i have not done that mainly cause the center one push's up air to the radiator at speed i dont no if it will hurt it or not ? :flag

[Modified by torched you, 7:01 PM 10/25/2003]
Old 10-26-2003, 01:53 AM
LivinTheDream
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel your grief as well after lowering mine last week. I am trying the bolt-on guard covers first, only getting the casters if these fail. They are in the Ecklers catalog--a little cheaper than the casters; would love to not drill any holes! I am not concerned with the driveway, just my Torch Red 98 with the Borla's :thumbs:
Old 10-26-2003, 02:29 AM
ALLKAR
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: How do you raise the front of a C5? (Andy@AandACorvette)

I've sold thousands over the years. Cheap insurance. :cheers:
:iagree:

O M G !!!!!!!!! Stock, These things are 4x4's. Lifting :nono: :nonod: :U
Old 10-26-2003, 02:47 AM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you sure it's the 'ski' things? It seems it would be pretty hard to hit those and not risk scraping the nose too. If you're sure, get frame savers.

Dope
Old 10-26-2003, 06:58 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You may know this but attack the driveway at an sharp angle (as far from 90 degress as possible) and it will go up easier. If you raise it you may need to realign it also.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:33 PM
rik99
Heel & Toe

I raised my C5 by about 1/2" front and rear. Stopped the scraping and skid damage. The front is too long and low, the other generations of corvette (I also have a C3) don't scrape. Before raising it, the damage to the skids, air dam, and body from scraping almost made me sell the car. Now it rarely scrapes.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:23 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Default Re: How do you raise the front of a C5? (rik99)

Good to hear... I thought I was alone....It is worse when I back out of the driveway, and I do turn a sharp angle... the Ski is scraped up, I have not worried about the rubber dam.... it just folds...so far... So when you went "UP" 1/2".... about howmany turns on the bolt did it take?..and did you have to do an alinement? Thanks :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
Old 10-27-2003, 08:05 PM
rik99
Heel & Toe

I forget how many turns it took. I did my adjustments on a lift and used the GM reference points in the C5 shop manual as a guide (add 1/2'' to these). These points are specific locations on the frame where you measure to ground after bouncing the car (like a shock absorber test). The front screws are near the upper third of the threads; the rears are screwed in about the same. Be sure to use a jack to take pressure off the springs before turning the screws. I did have the car aligned (at a shop that does vettes), but the settings were close and only minor adjustments were needed.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you raise the front of a C5?

Quick Reply: How do you raise the front of a C5?