C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSBC Force Ten Calipers?

Old 09-29-2003, 04:16 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default SSBC Force Ten Calipers?

I'm looking for some real world comments on these calipers. Anyone using them? How do you like 'em?
Old 09-29-2003, 10:10 PM
81vette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: SSBC Force Ten Calipers? (flynhi)

TTT

I'd like to know too.

Mark
Old 09-29-2003, 10:14 PM
71'AirStrike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TTT
mee three

I have a Hydroboost already installed.
...hmmm, I wonder with that setup if I could stop time?...
Old 09-29-2003, 10:19 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

i'm getting the front and rear calipers for my 69 this winter while the body is in paint. they make them in polished or powder coat which is cool. polished is different and would be an awesome look.

[Modified by Redshark6974, 9:20 PM 9/29/2003]
Old 09-29-2003, 11:07 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I've looked at Stainless Steel Brakes website and I haven't been able to locate Force 10 calipers that can be used on a C-3. What kind of modifications or special brackets are required to use the Force 10's?
Old 09-29-2003, 11:42 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Default Re: SSBC Force Ten Calipers? (Smokehouse69)

There was a post about these about a year ago and it seemed the general consensus then was there is no braking performance increase offered, but you gain with the lighter aluminum caliper giving you less unsprung weight.

You also might have to use custom SSBC pads.

Brent...
Old 09-30-2003, 06:57 AM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: SSBC Force Ten Calipers? (MN-Brent)

The Force 10 calipers for C3s are substantially Delco calipers done in aluminum. They offer no braking performace increase over the iron Delcos. They do save weight...a lot of weight and it's unsprung weight so you can realize a handling improvement. So if your brakes are powerful now, they aren't going to be any better with the Force 10s. And if your brakes suck now, they'll still suck but your wallet will be $1,200 lighter.

I'm using Force 10s on my '67 Fairlane. The car came with from the factory with K-H four-piston calipers. The Force 10s for this car only differ slightly in outside appearance. There was no difference in brake performance. They do look better and they are lighter. And that's about it.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:39 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: SSBC Force Ten Calipers? (gerry72)

Gerry72,
Thanks for your input. I'm trying to get a handle of potential handling improvement as a result of the reduction in unsprung weight with alum calipers. Can you describe this "improvement"?
Old 09-30-2003, 08:51 AM
ScubaJKD
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can only speak to the slotted rotors. They were all out of spec when I recieved them and had to ship them back because they would not bolt on. If you are interested in serious brakes check out the hydratech brake boost system. I dont like the pedal feel personally but it will certainly lock them up.

Moss
Old 09-30-2003, 01:06 PM
75 Hot One
Pro

I installed them on my '75 a couple of months ago but haven't had the car on the road since. I'm still having trouble getting a hard pedal (no other problems getting hard). I might have ruined the master cylinder while bleeding the brakes. No mods/ special brackets are required. I had some trouble getting a leak-free joint at the banjo fittings. They use copper crush washers to connect the banjo fittings to the calipers (different from the OEM calipers) and the seating surface on the calipers is smooth, not serrated (poor design, I think). You can't just tighten the bolts since they thread into the aluminum caliper body and could be stripped if overtorqued. It's trial & error. Mine are red and they do look good.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:38 PM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: SSBC Force Ten Calipers? (75 Hot One)

SSBC Claims up to 40% better stopping power. They also give you SS braided hoses which in turn are a lot better than rubber and help the car stop better.

Also the postion the of bleeder screws is important. SSBC Calipers have there bleeder screw above the pistons unlike other brakes. Yes the pads are different too. Instead of having 1 pin for the pads it has 2. By having the 2 pins it reinforces the caliper better when it flexes and makes it stronger than the 1 pin.

You need no adapter for it. You get everything you need for $700. Calipers, pads, lines. You can not delete the lines from the package b/c the are different from the original lines. The fittings are angled different and won't work.

[Modified by Van Steel, 2:45 PM 9/30/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To SSBC Force Ten Calipers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SSBC Force Ten Calipers?