C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

LPE aerobody...likely ordering in 2 weeks...Carbon fiber or Fiberglass?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 09:32 PM
PaceThis
Race Director

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Default LPE aerobody...likely ordering in 2 weeks...Carbon fiber or Fiberglass?

So, I think I'll go ahead and order this in a few weeks...and I'm now told that I can get it completely in Carbon Fiber. The price difference is about $1500, so it seems minimal.

I've heard a lot of quality problems in the fiberglass version...would carbon fiber be laid better? They have 2 versions (race, street) and I'm pricing the street version as it's better quality. Would you still have to use body filler to prep this for paint? I've never touched carbon fiber, so any help at all is appreciated...
Thx,
Josh
Old 09-01-2003, 11:07 PM
BiZ
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: LPE aerobody...likely ordering in 2 weeks...Carbon fiber or Fiberglass? (PaceThis)

What are the weight differences between the two ? That will pretty much tell you if the carbon fiber is worth the extra $1500.

As far as build quality, that is going to depend on who is doing the laminating. Some guys are better than others. A nice mold should produce a nice part. I wonder if there would be any way they would let me use the mold for a fee to make my own part. That way the only person I could blame for the laminating would be me. :yesnod:

[Modified by BiZ, 11:12 PM 9/1/2003]
Old 09-01-2003, 11:19 PM
90 Corvette ZR-1
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: LPE aerobody...likely ordering in 2 weeks...Carbon fiber or Fiberglass? (PaceThis)

Jerry's was fiberglass I think and it was beautiful

Get notified of new replies

To LPE aerobody...likely ordering in 2 weeks...Carbon fiber or Fiberglass?

Quick Reply: LPE aerobody...likely ordering in 2 weeks...Carbon fiber or Fiberglass?