C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How to replace the front clip and inner fenders?

Old 05-29-2003, 08:53 AM
Coolvet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to replace the front clip and inner fenders?

Is there an instruction manual or "How to guide" for doing this? I'm ready to go at it but don't know where to start. I have removed the old clip..or most of it and now I'm wondering if I should groind down the fiberglass in front od the windshield where the new clip sits so that the windshield and posts align with the door posts. Then what do I do? What glue do I use? Do I screw, rivet or glue the inner fender to the front clip...and at what stage do I do that? Not too many 58 Corvette front clip experts in Australia, so any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:12 PM
REVIVER
Racer

Default Re: How to replace the front clip and inner fenders? (Coolvet)

First you have to grind all of the bonding surfaces. Take off all of the old bonding adhesive but dont grind the glass down, just scratch it up real good. Is the front clip one peice or several pieces? Use Vette Bond II bonding adhesive to glue it on with. Trial fit the front clip as many times as it takes until you and your buddies are confident it will slip right on and you can get it clamped on in minimal time. Depending on the temp and how much hardener you put in will give you between 5 and 10 minutes before you are screwed or its in place so mix it and MOVE IT!!!

I just bonded my front clip on my 67 last week and pulled a quad muscle running around the car. Didnt notice until we were all done and cracked a beer to celibrate, then it siad Hello.

Tack screw the inner fenderwells to the clip so you can secure the clip to the coresupport and then after you have the clip bonded to the firewall and matched up at the doors you can take more time to ensure everything alignes properly and bond the wells in place. If the clip is in several pieces then you will have to take alittle different approach.

To apply the adhesive to the bonding strip use masking paper and 2 inch masking tape to make a pastry tube and after you mix the adhesive fold the cardboard in the middle and dump the adhesive into the pastry tube. Then apply a good beed to the bonding area then grab the clip and expand the lower fenders (one person on each side) and slide it into place then clamp it makeing sure the fenders align to the doors and the surround is aligned to the winshield area. Clamp at the lower fenders and the firewall lip. then put the bolts in the coresupport. Clean the edges especially at the winshield area before it fully sets. Do this all in the 5 to 10 minute window and crack a beer.

Good luck If someone will tell me how to post pics I will of mine if anyone would like to see it. :flag :flag
Old 05-29-2003, 01:21 PM
REVIVER
Racer

Hey Coolvet

If you are looking for info books just go to Google.com and punch in Corvette fiberglass repair and can find anything. Good luck
Jerry
Old 05-29-2003, 09:25 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

Default Re: How to replace the front clip and inner fenders? (REVIVER)

thre is a little more to it such as attaching the inner fender wells to the radiator support then putting the front clip on to include the hood. You must make sure the hood fits properly before attaching the clip. The adjustments are made by moving the core support fwd and back. From there you do not move the clip but attach one side at a time then attach each inner fender. I will email you some pretty good details if I can scan them tomorrow. I just attached the front clip by myself, I am building a 64 Grand Sport . But as mentioned before take your time and check and recheck. I spent several hours just making sure it was lined up properly then only an hour or so to get it all attached.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:09 PM
Dave McDufford
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: How to replace the front clip and inner fenders? (vstol)

Kevin,

I am in the process of installing a front clip. It is sitting on the car now so I can think through the various things which have to line up and fit. I would appreciate a copy of the information you offered to send Coolvet. Thanks.

Dave
:cheers:

[Modified by Dave McDufford, 11:10 PM 5/29/2003]
Old 05-30-2003, 06:17 AM
Coolvet
Racer

Default Re: How to replace the front clip and inner fenders? (vstol)

thanks vstol, I would appreciate the instructions. There is a useful step-by-step guide on http://www.glassmandan.com also
Old 06-01-2003, 08:20 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Don't underestimate the importance of experimenting with some trial batches of bonding adhesive before trying to bond a big part on like a front end. The worst thing that can happen to you is that the adhesive will cook off before you get the section completely in place and screwed down and you have to pry it back off. The second worst thing that can happen is to get all of the adhesive applied and it cooks off before you even get the front end even set on it. Best to undermix the hardner slightly than deal with either of these two errors. :seeya
Old 06-01-2003, 09:00 AM
M.Y.Freak
Instructor

I put an aftermarket one piece front end on a '63 several years ago. The Eckler book on fiberglas was a GREAT help. Don't know if they're available where you are. They run about 14. bucks.
The other thing I would do is measure, measure, & then measure again & take your time except when it comes to mixing/applying the adhesive.
Good Luck, Regards, Bob L.
'63 Coupe under Construction
Old 06-01-2003, 10:43 AM
REVIVER
Racer

Default Re: How to replace the front clip and inner fenders? (M.Y.Freak)

:iagree: :iagree: Test batches are a great idea and make sure that the temperature is the same when you test it as to when you are ready to go. When you mix a batch that big it is hard to judge how much hardner to use so if you have mixed and timed a couple of batches lay them out on a piece of cardboard to use as a color referance. That way you will know when you are about to run out of time and can make a dicission on whether you are going to get it clamped in place or, if you run into a snag, you can rip it back off before it cooks off completely. If you hit that 7 minute mark and you have not got it any where secured DONT WAIT get it off, scrape, regrind, clean and start over. Trust me, you dont want to have to chisle the clip back off. That adhesive is made to keep that clip in place during Dukes of Hazard river jumps. Like I said before mix it and MOVE IT. Also, DONT do this in the sun because it will set in 1 minute instead of 10! :flag
Old 06-03-2003, 08:44 PM
4rensic22
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I will scan the copy of my instructions that came with my front clip and e-mail them to you. They are bad copies as it is, but I'll try.

Also, while were at it, my clip is binding on the flange on the passenger side where the blower fan is mounted, if that makes sense. I have to push down on the fender and it snaps in place, which obviously isn't good. I have ground all the old glue away. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Brad
Old 06-04-2003, 02:10 AM
Coolvet
Racer

Default Re: How to replace the front clip and inner fenders? (4rensic22)

Thanks 4rensic22!! I would appreciate receiving the fitting instructions. Sorry, can't help with your inner fender problem as I have no experience with fitting these....as yet!
Old 06-04-2003, 05:35 AM
4rensic22
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Coolvet and Dave McD. - You've got mail
Old 06-04-2003, 07:47 AM
Dave McDufford
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: How to replace the front clip and inner fenders? (4rensic22)

4rensic22,

Thank you for the instructions (I found it in the 63 emails I received since last night – I hate spam, but that is another issue…).

As I think through the things I need to do to attach the front clip I offer the following thoughts for discussion.

One of the things a local vette guru’s (NCRS) told me was to make certain the bumpers fit before you glue the clip on. The outer bolts for C2 bumpers are attached through the body and he said that although it is a pain to take them off and put them back on it will eliminate problems later. I may be in a different circumstance in that I am putting the body back on a rebuilt frame, but it is good to know they will fit. I will be installing both the front and back bumpers.

I plan on using Lord Corp Fusor 100EZ as the adhesive (www.fusor.com). This was recommended by the local High School auto shop teacher (NCRS) as the best product and, significantly, it has a 40 minute working time. Also I believe the long mixing tips may allow me to glue the clip on in place with out having to take it off.

If I do not need to take the front clip off, I will probably put the front wheels on for the final fit. In this situation the car is within .2 degrees of being level (measuring the door sills) and will make dimension checking to the AIM easier.

The doors will be installed for the final fit and gluing. I have already set the door gaps with the body shims and they are within spec based on the AIM and the body line is correct based on the AIM dimensions.

I have cleaned out the cowl vent area very carefully, both the accumulated leaves and dirt from 35 years and all the dust from the grinding. Dirt and debris in the bottom of the cowl vent is likely the cause for a lot of the water problems for vettes. I will post some pictures later. My passenger side drain hole was completely clogged and any significant water entering the cowl vent ran into the interior through the passenger fresh air vent. :eek:

I am also replacing all the rope caulking in the lower part of the cowl area, after cleaning everything up real good. I am also cleaning and repainting (Zinc Chromate) any metal surfaces I can get to.

Obviously, the hood will be mounted and all of its dimensions will be checked. The hood latches on the fire wall will be adjusted as necessary. The tops of the inner fenders are not yet glued so they can be adjusted to match the hood. I have not yet decided if I should shim and glue this area to match the hood before or after gluing the clip on.

I am still trying to decide what type of shim to uses. Household wooden door shims seem to be the most available, but I am not certain I want to leave them in. If I use them I may try to remove them before the adhesive is fully set. I am still looking for an alternative I can leave in.

Dave :cheers:
Old 06-04-2003, 11:02 AM
Coolvet
Racer

Default Re: How to replace the front clip and inner fenders? (Dave McDufford)

here is a tutorial on fitting a front clip that looks useful... http://www.glassmandan.com/tutorials/003.html

I hope it helps you too Dave.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:53 PM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Old 10-23-2011, 03:31 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by TWINRAY

This is an 8 year old thread. Is there a follow up question?
Old 10-23-2011, 11:25 PM
mrg
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 314 Posts

Lord Fusor 127EZ has a 60 minute set time. That's what I used. Plenty of time to get things lined up just so.

Anything that cooks off in 10-15 minutes is too fast, IMO. Probably ok for a pro but not a first timer.

Get notified of new replies

To How to replace the front clip and inner fenders?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to replace the front clip and inner fenders?