C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Block Twin Turbo Setup

Old 02-10-2003, 01:42 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Big Block Twin Turbo Setup

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33742

First off, that's a gas line to a gas range :lol: (trust me I hook up appliances all day long). Who knows, the setup might work (so I'm not ragging on it) but it's a little too bubba for my tastes. It really is neat to see different peoples engineering minds at work though. :cheers:
Old 02-10-2003, 01:48 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Big Block Twin Turbo Setup (bence13_33)

Yeah looks bit too bubba to me too. However I've been toying with the TT BBC idea for some time now. :yesnod:
Old 02-10-2003, 01:53 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

That stuff looks like it came off a boat. Banks in California would be a better choice for twin turbos on a big block. :) :flag
Old 02-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Big Block Twin Turbo Setup (Ironcross)

what a mess, lsince they're T04 turbochargers. They'd have to be V-2/V-1 models to be able to put out some decent boost. The setup looks awfull indeed. IT's a draw through setup.

Marck

[Modified by Twin_Turbo, 1:18 PM 2/10/2003]
Old 02-10-2003, 02:48 PM
flood
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Big Block Twin Turbo Setup (Twin_Turbo)

That aint no computer designed exhaust, thats for sure.

Looks like someone just made it from spare parts around the house. But hey the impeller spins so it has to work. :jester
Old 02-10-2003, 03:57 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Big Block Twin Turbo Setup (flood)

Bubba goes Turbo :smash: :smash: :jester :cheers:
Old 02-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Big Block Twin Turbo Setup (BB wowbagger)

Let's see...a little schedule 40 cast iron steam pipe, some black iron fittings, an appliance natural gas hose for a turbo drain...obviously from the forced induction aisle of Home Depot. I think HD may be taking the auto racing affiliation a little too seriously.

All kidding aside, it just goes to show you how simple you can make these systems if you want to. I'm constantly amazed at the performance of some of these "junk yard" turbo setups. If you guys are interested in this, you should join the JYTurbo message group. The F-body forums are also good places (they each have very active Forced Induction/Power Adder sections) to see other budget-oriented setups. Just because they're not all billet, polished stainless, etc doesn't mean they don't work very well.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:23 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Big Block Twin Turbo Setup (Monty)

Monty:
I hope you don't think I was ripping on the setup. I was really just kind of amazed at the imagination some people have. As gody as it may look it probably works (is what I was thinking when I saw it). Personally, I wouldn't want to have all of that stuff cluttering up my engine compartment if someone were to ask me to pop my hood but that's just me. Seems like a cheap way to make a few extra ponys (because I can't imagine it costed all that much to make).
Old 02-10-2003, 08:37 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Not at all. I was just saying that looks can be deceiving. I get into the "engineering" and fabrication of it and enjoy making it look good, but some people don't care about looks at all, just performance.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:32 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Big Block Twin Turbo Setup (Monty)

Monty there is no way that you would ever put that on your car. Like me we have our pride and if it doesn't look good it is not going on.
I am anxious to hear how you like the hydrboost brakes. Quite a few have this system now and I haven't heard any complaints.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:53 PM
Monty
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Big Block Twin Turbo Setup (norvalwilhelm)

Norval

Of course that's true, but I'm just hesitant to say so. I've been criticized on another forum for not being cost-conscious or having unrealistic expectations so I try to be considerate of that when making recommendations or stating opinions.

I've actually driven the car a couple of times over the last few weeks when the weather has allowed. The Hydraboost works fantastic, not a single complaint, other than the fact that the second drain port has a goofball 5/16-24 thread making it a challenge to plumb that line with an AN fitting. Luckily a forum member was kind enough to make a -04 adapter for me. Otherwise I would have had to retap it to 1/8" NPT.

Although not necessary, it works very well with forced induction applications, I 'd definitely recommend it. I also like all the space is opens up compared to the vacuum booster. My next mod is to install a newer, smaller, lightweight, dual circuit, master cylinder.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

First off, that's a gas line to a gas range :lol: (trust me I hook up appliances all day long
Well he does state that it came from a funny car. :lol: :lol:

Wait! I thought you were still at IUP?? :confused:
Old 02-11-2003, 09:07 PM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Big Block Twin Turbo Setup (1970 Stingray)

Len:
Yes, I am still at IUP (sophemore) and have since changed my major from Elementary Education to General Business Management. I do still work for my dad probably close to 30 hours a week during school and close to 50 hours a week when school is not in session. I have to make money to take my girlfriend out somehow (and spend the occasional $ on the car).

By the way how have you been and how is your big block project coming along?
Old 02-12-2003, 06:39 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Len:
By the way how have you been and how is your big block project coming along?
Oh, glad to hear you're still in school. I had about the same work schedule when I was in school. :crazy:

Haven't touched the engine in a couple weeks. Even with a kerosene heater the garage doesn't warm up enough with all the garage door leaks. :sad: I've got the crank in, all the rings aligned on the pistons and two pistons installed. I've still been accumulating finishing parts....I think all I need now are the pulley's and starter. Once I finish the pistons, I think things will go much faster and hopefully the weather will cooperate.

The BOSS (wife) allowed the purchase of a 4000lb foldable engine hoist which will allow me to pull the engine at my leisure and not rely on availability of a hoist at the local rental shop. :D She didn't approve :boxing of the M-22 though, so I had to use better judgment & veto her "nay" vote. :hurray:

[Modified by 1970 Stingray, 6:49 AM 2/12/2003]
Old 02-12-2003, 10:58 AM
bence13_33
Safety Car

Default Re: Big Block Twin Turbo Setup (1970 Stingray)

You're getting an M22! Oh man....I want one so bad I can taste it. Did you get one with the GM gears or the Italian gears?

Get notified of new replies

To Big Block Twin Turbo Setup

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Big Block Twin Turbo Setup