C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Chevy not want to sell the new Vette?

Old 01-18-2014, 11:34 PM
Eric Michael Stepp
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Does Chevy not want to sell the new Vette?

I went to a dealer today, wanting to trade in my C5 for a new C7. (same dealer that I bought the C5 from) I will not buy a car without test driving it so when I asked if I could I was told that if it is not 45 degrees outside that no one can drive them. (it was 30) This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:39 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

Old 01-18-2014, 11:44 PM
Eric Michael Stepp
Advanced

So, don't let me drive it until after I buy it? So when I drive it home the tires will come apart and I wreck and die or kill a family or something? Don't try to sell a car with summer tires in a place that has winter weather. I am a GM man till the day I die, but I can see why they needed a government bailout. They do not think anything through.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:44 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I do agree with you. Maybe they are concerned that some people will not know how to handle a car like this in cold weather since the tires are not responsive in the cold. Maybe they want to play it safe instead of having a car getting damaged because somebody floors it on an icy road. You say you already have a C5 that you purchased from them. Perhaps all you have to do is ask for the sales manager and explain the situation. If the sales guy comes with you they will probably let you take it for a ride.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:51 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Eric Michael Stepp
So, don't let me drive it until after I buy it?

I think thou douth protest too much.

You told the dealer you would not buy without driving and he said he would not let anyone drive in that weather.

You walked, he lost the sale. He felt it was not worth the risk to get the sale.

What's the big deal? Wait for a nicer day or just go elsewhere.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:58 PM
Eric Michael Stepp
Advanced

The big deal is if they think it is unsafe for me to test drive it, how can they let me buy it and drive it home in that weather? Why even have the Corvette center open at that dealership?
Old 01-19-2014, 12:00 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

Because lots of people buy them without a test drive. Plus. once you buy it you are the one who is liable, not them.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:02 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 907 Likes on 473 Posts
Tech Contributor

because when you drive it home it will be on your insurance and you can wreck it all you want...test drives are on the dealers insurance and the Ind carrier has the ability to turmn down the claim if the weather is not right.....meaning tires should not be driven then...

relax...buy something else if that pisses you off...
Old 01-19-2014, 12:06 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Because lots of people buy them without a test drive. Plus. once you buy it you are the one who is liable, not them.
AND it's a little scary that you have to educate an adult about this. It is obvious to the most casual observer what the issue is.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:09 AM
Eric Michael Stepp
Advanced

So if my insurance got wind that the tires shouldn't be in 45 degree or below weather they could turn my claim down. With my job you break the law and bend rules the whole time to get the job done. So we have a job the next day. Plus I can't see what the issue is if its safe enough to drive on my insurance and not theirs.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:11 AM
Eric Michael Stepp
Advanced

What is the issue? Since I need to be educated. It can't possibly be that I am the one that needs to be liable.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:13 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 476 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
AND it's a little scary that you have to educate an adult about this. It is obvious to the most casual observer what the issue is.
The man does have a good point here
Old 01-19-2014, 12:17 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,066 Likes on 6,168 Posts

What is the issue? Since I need to be educated. It can't possibly be that I am the one that needs to be liable.
That is exactly the issue. The dealership could care less if you wreck it on your dime. They care a great deal if it is on their dime. They may have a very high deductible on their insurance (very common for businesses). That's just dealing with the car. What if you get hurt or killed while they are liable?
Old 01-19-2014, 12:18 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

So if my insurance got wind that the tires shouldn't be in 45 degree or below weather they could turn my claim down. With my job you break the law and bend rules the whole time to get the job done. So we have a job the next day. Plus I can't see what the issue is if its safe enough to drive on my insurance and not theirs.
Wait until it's 45 degrees or warmer to buy it?

It's not that it's safe enough, they just don't want to deal will the hassle of a claim. I've driven my Vette in the snow without any issues but when it's not "your" car, some people might not care as much.

Trust me, you don't need to drive the car to know if you will like it. You will LOVE IT! As long as when you sit in it and it fits then buy it! It's years better than the C5.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:18 AM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

I don't think this would really bother someone that was serious about buying the car.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:24 AM
Eric Michael Stepp
Advanced

The dealer told me the tires can crack in cold weather causing a blow out. Also the issue with me being serious about buying the car, I am buying one I just have owned enough GM vehicles to know that they have quality issues. I want to drive it to see if it rattles and such from everywhere like my C5 does. I will not buy a car without test driving that specific one first.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:27 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 3,977 Likes on 2,879 Posts

So, don't let me drive it until after I buy it? So when I drive it home the tires will come apart and I wreck and die or kill a family or something? Don't try to sell a car with summer tires in a place that has winter weather. I am a GM man till the day I die, but I can see why they needed a government bailout. They do not think anything through.
I went to a dealer today, wanting to trade in my C5 for a new C7. (same dealer that I bought the C5 from) I will not buy a car without test driving it so when I asked if I could I was told that if it is not 45 degrees outside that no one can drive them. (it was 30) This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.
I'm certain they were blowing you off. Only they know the reason(s) why. Doesn't really matter, but I wouldn't buy from any dealer that would not let me test drive the exact type of car I was looking to buy.

One the positive side - if you do buy w/o driving, or are forced into buying a car before you drive it, you have an easy return policy by law. You tell them you don't like it, and ask for a full refund. There's no way you have to keep a car you didn't drive before buying.

The last time I bought a new car, I pointed out the one on the lot I wanted, and we agreed on price. The salesman asked if I wanted to drive it, I said, no, just write it up and Ill pay you for it. He then said I had to drive it, so I couldn't tell them that I didn't like it after buying it. Fine, I said, let's go drive it around the block. A nuisance, but their policy.

That dealer is playing games with you. I'd walk to another one with my business.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 01-19-2014 at 12:29 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Does Chevy not want to sell the new Vette?

Old 01-19-2014, 12:27 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

The dealer told me the tires can crack in cold weather causing a blow out. Also the issue with me being serious about buying the car, I am buying one I just have owned enough GM vehicles to know that they have quality issues. I want to drive it to see if it rattles and such from everywhere like my C5 does. I will not buy a car without test driving that specific one first.
I guess they technically could crack but I really seriously doubt it.

If you are only concerned about rattles and you are ready to buy, then tell them to get the paperwork ready and everything lined up contingent that in the test drive you don't hear any rattles?

You won't have any rattles like the C5, I had a rattle in the back hatch.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:28 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

I don't know where you live but unless it is Alaska the tires will not crack. GM would have warning stickers all over the place if this was the case. The real reason the dealer won't let you drive it is because it can be a handful in cold weather because the tires are made for summer driving.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:31 AM
Eric Michael Stepp
Advanced

Thats the thing I have already dealt with them and what they are going to give me for my car. 21,500. Simple as this, they would of sold a car today if they would have let me drive the car first.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does Chevy not want to sell the new Vette?