C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2015 Z06 Reveal

Old 12-15-2013, 01:33 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DON T.
600-625 HP Max. With the right setup for track racing useing the new tech in this new C7, nothing would touch it. ..Nothing...... The price is the 64 dollar question...
those 4 wheel drive 700 hp euro cars will give it a good run
Old 12-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

Looking forward to seeing this car. Unfortunately I think it is going to be priced too high for me to become a 7th Gen Z06 customer. My current Z06 will most likely have to hold me over, although that's not all that bad. I love this 08 Z06.

My HP prediction on the '15 Z06, 605
Old 12-16-2013, 04:24 PM
SS MPSTR
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by strawboss
I'd bet money they have the new Z06 in Scotsdale since Barrett-Jackson falls in the same week as NAAS. Last year the C7 showed up for the last couple days of B/J in Scotsdale
Agreed. Perfect venue to garner even more attention and hype.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:13 PM
DON T.
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
Agreed. Perfect venue to garner even more attention and hype.
Look hard!!! Umm.. Yep, thats Rick Hendrick adding to his collection.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Supercharges = heat = reduced timing on road courses! What are they going to do about that?

Jim
Old 12-19-2013, 07:32 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Shurshot
While they may not make it a forged motor compared to the LS9 I cannot imagine LT4 would make less than a ZL1 LS8 motor that is still considerably more than your 550 speculation.

Having to overcome an already considerable problem with the weight of the C7, without a drastic and expensive diet, the C7Z will have to make 700 HP just to keep the power to weight numbers on par with the C6 ZR1.

Something the C7Z model MUST keep up with if they hope to sell it to ZR1 owners.

(The ZR1 top gun model was considerably heftier than the lightweight ZO6 with 133 less HP)
If its a blown motor it will be forged, without question.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:49 PM
2SINISTER
Racer

Originally Posted by Painrace
Supercharges = heat = reduced timing on road courses! What are they going to do about that?

Jim
With GM claiming it to be "the most track capable Corvette ever, designed to deliver levels of performance through unique power train, chassis and aerodynamic features" I suspect that if it is supercharged it will have a really efficient intercooler system. Maybe an air-to-water interooler? Would definitely add complexity and weight, though.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:59 PM
JsnMR2
Pro

IMO... 405 --> 505 --> somewhere between 605 and 640 only because of the ZR1. I don't think it will out power the ZR1 by all that much if at all.

Doubt it will be below 600.. That would be disappointing.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:12 PM
_M_
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace

Jim
Isn't Formula 1 going back to FI for the very reason that it will reduce their lap times?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:20 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by _M_
Isn't Formula 1 going back to FI for the very reason that it will reduce their lap times?
F1 is going to small displacement/forced induction as part of the push to make this form of motorsports "more relevant" to the push for higher efficiency. Whether or not lap times will be quicker solely because of the new engine spec is yet to be seen. On-going tire development and aero development will kinda make it hard to determine just how much the new engine formula, by itself, contributes to the lap times.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:26 PM
_M_
Advanced

Originally Posted by acrace
F1 is going to small displacement/forced induction as part of the push to make this form of motorsports "more relevant" to the push for higher efficiency. Whether or not lap times will be quicker solely because of the new engine spec is yet to be seen. On-going tire development and aero development will kinda make it hard to determine just how much the new engine formula, by itself, contributes to the lap times.
Well, they are going BACK to FI, and from everything I've read there isn't anyone that doesn't think times will not be reduced.

The point is, there are plenty of FI racing engines in several different series, so my point is that one can not simply dismiss the idea of an FI engine not being race proven.

Last edited by _M_; 12-19-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:36 PM
ghostmech
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glennm27
My HP prediction on the '15 Z06, 605
Agree. Like I said in the other thread, I believe the "official" number will be 605HP which sequentially makes the most sense. I also don't think GM wants to irk the current ZR1 owners with a car that drastically hurts their car's value....but I could be wrong if the C7 Z06 turns out to be the top of the C7 line.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:26 AM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by _M_
Well, they are going BACK to FI, and from everything I've read there isn't anyone that doesn't think times will not be reduced.

The point is, there are plenty of FI racing engines in several different series, so my point is that one can not simply dismiss the idea of an FI engine not being race proven.
I don't disagree with you comment that forced induction has been used in the past. I still recall the glorious 1.5 liter turbo formula of the early '80s, and the special 1200 to 1500 horsepower qualifying engines that were good for a handful of laps (along with the special fuel formulations that would knock you out in pit lane).

But the reason to move to the smaller displacement/turbo formula was engine supplier driven (i.e.: all the manufacturers who put all the bucks into the engine programs, and see F1 as both a marketing and technical exercise), and for perceived fuel efficiency reasons.

In any event, changing the formula should be fun viewing for the first half of the season while all the engine suppliers figure out how far they can go with their designs before blowing up engines. We'll start the fun on January 28th.

Back to LT4 relevancy . . . whether any of us like it or not, smaller displacement forced induction is the way that the industry is going to move to, with the higher efficiency legislation. But innovation will never end, and superior packaging, better cooling, better throttle response (for turbos) will continue to evolve. I love my 7.0 liter/427 cu in LS7 in my C6 Z06, but I'm also looking forward to trying the LT4.

Last edited by acrace; 12-20-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:21 AM
DRC
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Default Odd we have no real news / pics at this point?

Seems odd to me that 3 weeks away from reveal we really don't know much and other than the front lower fender / wheel pic, no spy shots, etc.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:18 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ghostmech
Agree. Like I said in the other thread, I believe the "official" number will be 605HP which sequentially makes the most sense. I also don't think GM wants to irk the current ZR1 owners with a car that drastically hurts their car's value....but I could be wrong if the C7 Z06 turns out to be the top of the C7 line.
that IS their stated intention, at least for now. [note that in "people united vs. fec", corporations are people, and we know that people are prone to prevarication {read any news release re: political statement du jour}, so draw your own conclusion].
Old 12-20-2013, 09:30 AM
thedofuss
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by _M_

it would seem that all that is required is an enhanced heat dissipation system, to more efficiently remove the ambient heat generated from the obviously higher operating temps. i say "all", and realize that this may not be so easy, given other factors e.g., space constraints [i use the word du jour "constraints" intentionally here]. and, clearly if they had one, it would already be in use. but, time and innovation march on.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:41 AM
_M_
Advanced

Originally Posted by thedofuss
it would seem that all that is required is an enhanced heat dissipation system, to more efficiently remove the ambient heat generated from the obviously higher operating temps. i say "all", and realize that this may not be so easy, given other factors e.g., space constraints [i use the word du jour "constraints" intentionally here]. and, clearly if they had one, it would already be in use. but, time and innovation march on.

Seems like the word du jour, is du jour.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 Z06 Reveal

Old 12-20-2013, 09:45 AM
Stunt
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DRC
Seems odd to me that 3 weeks away from reveal we really don't know much and other than the front lower fender / wheel pic, no spy shots, etc.
Agreed. It seems we got that teaser lower fender and LT4 engine pics back at the very beginning of December, and nothing at all since. Strange...
Old 12-20-2013, 11:01 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by DRC
yep for sure unbelieveable
Old 12-20-2013, 05:08 PM
ranger1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oneslackr
Your reasoning makes sense & may turn out to be 100% correct. My thought was that the (C6/Z06/ZR1) formula worked for GM last time & that they would do the same again with the C7 to keep interest alive throughout the entire production run.

Since I guessed 550 hp I'm going to stick with this figure to avoid accusations of being irresolute. Like I said above, if the horsepower ends up being quite a bit more (i.e. 600+) then I'll be pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I was wrong about something.
I think the new Z will have 605hp .... C6Z 505 C5Z 405... make sense to me..

Garry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Z06 Reveal