C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I could use a suggestion please..

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 05:43 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default I could use a suggestion please..

I put a rod through my block (05 (A4) And having a 403 built, it will be a 403 ci with

Heads are 243 ported & polished
Kooks Headers,
Fast 102 intake, ported
Vararam CAI
FTI 2800 converter
Tune by Cartek..

I'm hoping to run 11.0 in the summer heat...a question I cant see doing all the work and have a car that will/might run high 10's and slow it down to 11.5 because of no roll bar... Also want the light weight one (I'm not sure which it is?)

I have seen some roll bars, but cant seem to find a 5 point bolt in (I think that will make me legal to 10.0)

Anyone know of who makes a 5 point bolt in roll bar, with a swing out bar.. (I saw one but the drivers door did not open it was for a road course)

I need a NHRA legal and would like to have it LMB anodized color.. Also I'd want to be able to REMOVE it completely during the week when I'm not at the track..

Appreciate any help...
Old 10-20-2013, 07:21 PM
turboffr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Do a search for RSD roll bar
Old 10-20-2013, 07:28 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jpee
I put a rod through my block (05 (A4) And having a 403 built, it will be a 403 ci with

Heads are 243 ported & polished
Kooks Headers,
Fast 102 intake, ported
Vararam CAI
FTI 2800 converter
Tune by Cartek..

I'm hoping to run 11.0 in the summer heat...a question I cant see doing all the work and have a car that will/might run high 10's and slow it down to 11.5 because of no roll bar... Also want the light weight one (I'm not sure which it is?)

I have seen some roll bars, but cant seem to find a 5 point bolt in (I think that will make me legal to 10.0)

Anyone know of who makes a 5 point bolt in roll bar, with a swing out bar.. (I saw one but the drivers door did not open it was for a road course)

I need a NHRA legal and would like to have it LMB anodized color.. Also I'd want to be able to REMOVE it completely during the week when I'm not at the track..

Appreciate any help...
I was the only one who made a NHRA legal bolt in rollbar for C6 Vettes. Since the NHRA rules state that rollbars must be welded or bolted to the frame and none of the other bolt in bars attach to the frame, they aren't legal regardless of any claims. And yes, it is removable in a matter of minutes after the initial installation. The problem is that they have to be manufactured in batches of 10. So find 8 other people to commit on your end, as I have 1 waiting on my end and I'll run a batch.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:23 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
I was the only one who made a NHRA legal bolt in rollbar for C6 Vettes. Since the NHRA rules state that rollbars must be welded or bolted to the frame and none of the other bolt in bars attach to the frame, they aren't legal regardless of any claims. And yes, it is removable in a matter of minutes after the initial installation. The problem is that they have to be manufactured in batches of 10. So find 8 other people to commit on your end, as I have 1 waiting on my end and I'll run a batch.
Ya think I might be better off just going to a "GOOD" shop & have them make me a chrome molly bar & weld it in as I don't plan on selling the car....
Old 10-22-2013, 03:50 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,045 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Too bad you don't own an '08+ vette as they don't require a bar down to 9.99, which is ridiculous if you ask me as they aren't any more structurally sound than yours...not sure how they came up with that cut off?
Old 10-22-2013, 11:24 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Too bad you don't own an '08+ vette as they don't require a bar down to 9.99, which is ridiculous if you ask me as they aren't any more structurally sound than yours...not sure how they came up with that cut off?
That ruling is only for bone stock production cars. It was done to accommodate cars like the ZR1 that have the capability to run quicker than the 11.49 cutoff. The reason it goes down to 9.99 is that it's the current mark that requires a whole different set of requirements and certifications. If you'd like to read it, look on page xiv in the 2013 NHRA rulebook.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:40 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

That ruling is only for bone stock production cars. It was done to accommodate cars like the ZR1 that have the capability to run quicker than the 11.49 cutoff. The reason it goes down to 9.99 is that it's the current mark that requires a whole different set of requirements and certifications. If you'd like to read it, look on page xiv in the 2013 NHRA rulebook.
Thanks, I still don't see what makes a ZR1 safer than say a C6Z with a blower on it and why there are different rules? The 11.99 to 11.49 rollbar requirement change was made across the board, not just for newer model production cars.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:45 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Thanks, I still don't see what makes a ZR1 safer than say a C6Z with a blower on it and why there are different rules? The 11.99 to 11.49 rollbar requirement change was made across the board, not just for newer model production cars.
The ruling was created more for the factory Mustangs and CTS-V's that could be bought by average guys. The ZR1 and a few other pricier cars just happened to fit too. If you look on the Z06 fast list, you'll find 11 bone stock cars below 11.50. All but one is pre-'08. They had to draw a line somewhere and didn't attempt to define exactly which models fit and which ones didn't.

The ruling doesn't apply to cars in competition. It's only for test 'n tune and grudge racing. Since there is some vagueness to the rule, each track may interpret it differently or turn a blind eye at tech.

Track operators log every run and file reports to NHRA on any damage caused by contact. With that data, it allows NHRA to understand what safety requirements are needed to reduce problems. I could only assume the rollbar change from 11.99 to 11.49 was done because the number of problems in that range was minimal.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:56 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

The ruling was created more for the factory Mustangs and CTS-V's that could be bought by average guys. The ZR1 and a few other pricier cars just happened to fit too. If you look on the Z06 fast list, you'll find 11 bone stock cars below 11.50. All but one is pre-'08. They had to draw a line somewhere and didn't attempt to define exactly which models fit and which ones didn't.

The ruling doesn't apply to cars in competition. It's only for test 'n tune and grudge racing. Since there is some vagueness to the rule, each track may interpret it differently or turn a blind eye at tech.

Track operators log every run and file reports to NHRA on any damage caused by contact. With that data, it allows NHRA to understand what safety requirements are needed to reduce problems. I could only assume the rollbar change from 11.99 to 11.49 was done because the number of problems in that range was minimal.
I'm aware of the fast list and have run 10 sec passes at both the local IHRA and NHRA 1/4 track with just a helmet w/o getting the boot, I'm glad they rely on common sense more than a rule book.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:55 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

I'm aware of the fast list and have run 10 sec passes at both the local IHRA and NHRA 1/4 track with just a helmet w/o getting the boot, I'm glad they rely on common sense more than a rule book.
We HAD one track in Phoenix (permanently closed in Jan) that usually allowed high 10's for experienced (read that as older) drivers in relatively new street cars, but would give the boot to an 18yo driving '80's/'90's rice on NOS into the 11.4x's. They were aware of the risk.

The other track we HAD, which closed in Mar and will reopen in Dec under new management, was real strict. I even got a warning once at 11.57 to take it easy, before I had a rollbar. I have a feeling the new people will be strict too, since NHRA will be running major events there.

Get notified of new replies

To I could use a suggestion please..

Quick Reply: I could use a suggestion please..