Sponsored by:

Opinions on this modified '72

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 02:55 PM
Eddie 1979
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on this modified '72

Hi folks, so the search for my C3 continues. I've branched out to "modified numbers matching" vehicles now. What are your thoughts on something like this:

1972 Modified C3

Not sure what's up with the roof, but the engine looks interesting and since it comes with the old parts it shouldn't be too much of a chore to get it back to spec if required in the future.

Pros and cons? Would one value this type of vehicle the equivalent of its number's matching stock GM counterpart?

Rather than starting a new thread I'll throw this Modified '79 into the mix too. I'm assuming it will go for half the price of the '72, but will never be collectible.

Last edited by Eddie 1979; 09-25-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:14 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,814 Likes on 1,604 Posts

the car has the normal roof body panels and a aftermarket black soft top in some pictures. You need to see the number pad on the block and the other parts that they claim to have. Need more pictures of the frame. The old parts dont include the engine internals.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:04 PM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

I agree, check for rust, but that looks like a really clean mod'd C3. If you're thinking of bringing it back to original, I'd suggest looking for another C3, as this has an aftermarket stereo system, as well as a pretty heavily mod'd engine.

Me? I like it! It is not anywhere near being a 'Correct' Corvette, but man, I personally like what's been done to it and with that engine and a four speed, I see nothing, but fun, fun, fun!
Old 09-25-2013, 04:23 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I like it and it looks clean. Need more frame and birdcage pictures.

The front looks pretty wet and should cleanup with some elbow grease.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:27 PM
Eddie 1979
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by F22
I agree, check for rust, but that looks like a really clean mod'd C3. If you're thinking of bringing it back to original, I'd suggest looking for another C3, as this has an aftermarket stereo system, as well as a pretty heavily mod'd engine.

Me? I like it! It is not anywhere near being a 'Correct' Corvette, but man, I personally like what's been done to it and with that engine and a four speed, I see nothing, but fun, fun, fun!
I wouldn't bring it back to normal, that wouldn't be as fun! Just wanted the option to do so if I sold it down the line to someone who was set on original.

Could the old heads, carb, manifolds be put back onto the modified block? Or would the internals need to change as well?

Last edited by Eddie 1979; 09-25-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:29 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

That depends, but anyone doing to work would want to strip it back down to make sure no piston to valve clearance would be an issue.

So yes ton of work as you don't really know what is under the heads.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:31 PM
Chuck72
Le Mans Master

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Undercarriage looks pretty nice,...a big plus.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:54 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If the numbers check out, the title is 'clear' and doesn't say "SALVAGE", it doesn't have excessive frame rust, and it all operates as expected, why not? The car looks nice from all the photos. What are you willing to pay for it?

I might offer up to $10K...or so. If I could check it out in person or have someone competent to do that for me, I might go some higher.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Redwing01
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

If it all checks out ok id say go for it, sweet lookin ride based on the pics!
Best of luck.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Pass on any seller who lists a Corvette as a two door.

Pass on any seller who says a C3 has anti-lock brakes.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:05 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default My 2 cents..

My 2 cents for what it is worth....

Two keys are:
1. what do you want???? all original, NCRS super duper or original trans/engine numbers only; who cares what alternator you have, or what degree of originality?
2. And, what is a fair market price for this one or another one? Generally the market indicates that a NCRS super duper, ALL matching numbers is going to go for more than one that has been changed to something else. Figuring out a fair market value for a particular Corvette takes more than one source, and some judgement on triangulating several similar examples since every case is unique

When I pulled this one up, it has not reached reserve yet, so I do not know what the reserve is, I always start my bids at the minimum I am willing to take without any reserve. If it does not sell, drop the starting price and reauction. The reserve concept does not work I think and is a guessing game that is not very effective.
So, if you could get this 72 at 10, I would say great bargain (assume no rust) and if the reserve is 20, I would say there are better deals out there (for me anyway).

I like the 72, looks great!!!

Last edited by 20mercury; 09-26-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:31 AM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Redwing01
If it all checks out ok id say go for it, sweet lookin ride based on the pics!
Best of luck.
just be careful
Old 09-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Eddie 1979
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 20mercury
My 2 cents for what it is worth....

Two keys are:
1. what do you want???? all original, NCRS super duper or original trans/engine numbers only; who cares what alternator you have, or what degree of originality?
2. And, what is a fair market price for this one or another one? Generally the market indicates that a NCRS super duper, ALL matching numbers is going to go for more than one that has been changed to something else. Figuring out a fair market value for a particular Corvette takes more than one source, and some judgement on triangulating several similar examples since every case is unique

When I pulled this one up, it has not reached reserve yet, so I do not know what the reserve is, I always start my bids at the minimum I am willing to take without any reserve. If it does not sell, drop the starting price and reauction. The reserve concept does not work I think and is a guessing game that is not very effective.
So, if you could get this 72 at 10, I would say great bargain (assume no rust) and if the reserve is 20, I would say there are better deals out there (for me anyway).

I like the 72, looks great!!!
I'm looking at both options and see originality as a sliding scale. The closer to NCRS the more I'd pay, but at the same time I'm not sure how NCRS would judge things like frame rust. I'd rather have a car with a new solid aftermarket frame than the original rusty one with holes in it! I also don't car if there are things like an aftermarket upgraded suspension or updated sound system.

Based on what I've seen so far I agree about the 20k range. Once we enter that territory on a base chrome bumper 350 coupe I would expect original or equivalent replacements with restoration work having been done.

On the flip side I don't mind having something nice, fun, 10k cheaper and in good shape that I can tinker with. Not sure the seller would agree with the 10k cheaper assessment though
Old 09-26-2013, 12:13 PM
ryanmh
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What's not to like? In terms of what people are willing to pay, I think there might be a little bit of advice from the crowd that doesn't care for a chrome bumper car that isn't original and doesn't see the value in spending thousands of dollars on a motor. Some want a car that is old, slow, and boring (by modern standards) just like it came from the factory. (Yeah, I'm a big jerk, but a stock C3 is a beautiful car, not necessarily a good one). Advantage goes to you who can get this car for a substantial discount over virtually any other classic car with this motor in it. The reported price differences between Corvettes and similar performance cars from the era is striking (and has been discussed here ad nauseum). Insanity--send NCRS a thank you card (I have no idea how else to explain it--it shocked me when I comparison shopped mine).

That car with that motor in it is worth more, in my opinion, than it would be with the "completely original" motor in it--particularly because the block is still matching and it has most of the original parts along with it. That is a very, very nice hot street motor with a full roller valvetrain, good quality heads and headers, and so forth. It is not a crappy Summit cheapo rebuild kit. The seller discloses that he has about $12k into the rebuild and install, and I don't doubt him. The cost for the install-related work is a write-off, but it is not unreasonable for him to expect to get something out of the motor (although his mistake was building up the original motor instead of doing a fresh one--with all new parts, should have just done a new block).

That said, I would not expect he wants less than $16,000.00 for this car, assuming the rest of it checks out. My guess is the reserve is somewhat higher. I would want to see the paint up close and personal, but it might be anywhere from a $14k to $18k car. $10k would be an absolute steal.

Thinking about this a bit... I would have some questions about that paint, too. Original paint is pretty neat, and suggests the car was well cared for. Still, it would best best to see if up close and understand removal options for the pin-striping if you don't like it.

Last edited by ryanmh; 09-26-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on this modified '72

Quick Reply: Opinions on this modified '72