Article in AutoWeek to share...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 06:45 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Default Article in AutoWeek to share...

A reader opinion was published and I thought it would be good to share. Now it doesn't say which generation of vette this guy is referring too, he just said new.

"I was very interested in your remarks on the new Porsche Cayman S ("Pick Your Poison." June 10). I owned a first generation Cayman S until recently and was considering buying a new one. However, several things worked against it: poor dealer service, the superfluity of shiny bits in the cockpit, and outrageous prices that Porsche charges for options. I bought a Corvette instead. -Lyle Heldenbrand, Virgina Beach, VA."

Thanks Lyle. Way to be GM and GM dealers for making things more fun at the dealership.

Last edited by ~Stingray; 07-08-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
An reader opinion was published and I thought it would be good to share. Now it doesn't say which generation of vette this guy is referring too, he just said new.

"I was very interested in your remarks on the new Porsche Cayman S ("Pick Your Poison." June 10). I owned a first generation Cayman S until recently and was considering buying a new one. However, several things worked against it: poor dealer service, the superfluity of shiny bits in the cockpit, and outrageous prices that Porsche charges for options. I bought a Corvette instead. -Lyle Heldenbrand, Virgina Beach, VA."

Thanks Lyle. Way to be GM and GM dealers for making things more fun at the dealership.
Would this be the same "Lyle" from Virginia who is a car dealer and has the pure stock ZR1 quarter mile record?
Old 07-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by Shurshot
Would this be the same "Lyle" from Virginia who is a car dealer and has the pure stock ZR1 quarter mile record?
That's Kyle!

S.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:20 PM
VRMMMM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was seriously looking at a Porsche as well. Just can't justify the expense they want for every little option. Optioned they way I wanted it I was over 100k for a Cayman S! Thats nuts. When ordering my fully loaded 3LT C7, the options seem like a deal in comparison.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Davidl81
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree Vrmmm, I built the cayman online the other day and the options were a killer in price. Sure the base MSRP is close to the C7, but i bet you can't find a base Cayman on a lot anywhere.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:35 PM
User 2623
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by VRMMMM
I was seriously looking at a Porsche as well. Just can't justify the expense they want for every little option. Optioned they way I wanted it I was over 100k for a Cayman S! Thats nuts. When ordering my fully loaded 3LT C7, the options seem like a deal in comparison.
I hear ya, I expressed that in another thread.
I don't know how an informed and conscientious consumer or even an auto enthusiast can reconcile the expense - performance, price per features.

But then again I really like the Boxster or Cayman characteristics.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:14 PM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

I am waivering between a new 2014 Boxster S or a C7 Coupe (Z51)

When I build each car to almost the same options, the C7 Z51 Coupe is at $63,000 and the Boxster is at $74,000. That's 17% higher.

Even if they discounted the Boxster 5% off MSRP, it is still at $70,000 vs a C7 at at MSRP of $63,000 for rignt now.

For now I will continue to drive my 2009 Z4 35i until C7 prices come down or a perhaps a slightly used 2013 Boxster S comes along.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Parker Corvette
Pro

SilverC6AZ You are comparing apples and oranges. Price both cars in convertible form. I priced a 2013 GS convertible and it came to $74,000. My 2014 Boxster (not an S) came to $66,000. Traded a 2012 Z4 that I was disappointed in. Traded a 2009 C6 for the Z4. Now I have what I want.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

All Euro cars have unbelievably expensive options compared to the C7. $2800 for an Ediff, dry sump, bigger brakes, and bigger wheels? Most in Germany, England, and Italy are scratching their heads not how GM did it so cheaply but WHY they did it so cheaply.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Although the C7 and Cayman are about the same price I can't fathom how anyone would cross shop between the two. The two cars are extremely different, ex. 275 vs 460 hp lol. If you're the type who values the porsche badge, dealer experience, or how the steering wheel feels then get the Cayman. If you don't care about status or the other feminine stuff like steering wheel feel, and instead value actual performance and thrill, then get the Corvette.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Sin City
Le Mans Master

Received 4,116 Likes on 1,470 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Achmed
Although the C7 and Cayman are about the same price I can't fathom how anyone would cross shop between the two. The two cars are extremely different, ex. 275 vs 460 hp lol. If you're the type who values the porsche badge, dealer experience, or how the steering wheel feels then get the Cayman. If you don't care about status or the other feminine stuff like steering wheel feel, and instead value actual performance and thrill, then get the Corvette.

Agreed. Apples and oranges. 911 vs C7... Ok. Cayman, nah.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:54 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorado C6
SilverC6AZ You are comparing apples and oranges. Price both cars in convertible form. I priced a 2013 GS convertible and it came to $74,000. My 2014 Boxster (not an S) came to $66,000. Traded a 2012 Z4 that I was disappointed in. Traded a 2009 C6 for the Z4. Now I have what I want.
Your comparison is also apples/oranges. If you are going to compare a C6 convertible to a regular Boxster, it should be a regular C6 convertible, not a GS.

Jimmy
Old 07-09-2013, 03:33 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

Talk about a loaded post: "feminine stuff like steering feel"

HA!

You could phrase it the other way and say, "If you care about stuff GM can't seem to get right, like precision and balance, then get the Cayman. If you only care about brute force and crappy interiors, get the Vette"

Of course, those negatives about the Vette may have been fixed with the C7, while the Porsche negatives (relatively low power and very poor value) still exist.

I think that is why many people are torn. In the past I never would have considered a Vette and would have grudgingly spent the extra cash on a Cayman (or gone with a used one and taken a gamble on maintenance costs). The C7 makes the decision quite a bit more difficult, because you may actually be able to get precision and balance that is closer to that of a Cayman (still a few hundred lbs heavier) as well as the power, brute force, and value of the Vette.

-T
Old 07-09-2013, 04:21 AM
Mechanic
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Do we have to revisit/re-hash this worthless subject time and time again? Damn!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:48 AM
Achmed
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
Talk about a loaded post: "feminine stuff like steering feel"

HA!

You could phrase it the other way and say, "If you care about stuff GM can't seem to get right, like precision and balance, then get the Cayman. If you only care about brute force and crappy interiors, get the Vette"

Of course, those negatives about the Vette may have been fixed with the C7, while the Porsche negatives (relatively low power and very poor value) still exist.

I think that is why many people are torn. In the past I never would have considered a Vette and would have grudgingly spent the extra cash on a Cayman (or gone with a used one and taken a gamble on maintenance costs). The C7 makes the decision quite a bit more difficult, because you may actually be able to get precision and balance that is closer to that of a Cayman (still a few hundred lbs heavier) as well as the power, brute force, and value of the Vette.

-T
Lol k I should have said "feminine stuff like precision and balance" or any other non-performance and subjective criteria of sports car. Any "man" who is debating taking a 70 percent horsepower reduction in exchange for a nicer interior or "balance - whatever that means" needs to get their testosterone levels checked lol. I couldn't care less about that stuff or how the interior is. For that reason I selected 1LT, I see no reason for myself to pay extra for nicer leather, carbon fiber, navigation, etc. Just give me a badass looking great performing car at a reasonable price, and at that the C7 Z51 1LT is as good as it can possibly get.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:25 AM
Rapid Fred
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,314 Likes on 754 Posts

Lol k I should have said "feminine stuff like precision and balance" or any other non-performance and subjective criteria of sports car. Any "man" who is debating taking a 70 percent horsepower reduction in exchange for a nicer interior or "balance - whatever that means" needs to get their testosterone levels checked lol.

Wow, talk about perpetuating the stereotypical Vette owner.

I'm sure all the Boxster/Cayman drivers I saw racing at the Glen a couple weeks ago in their underpowered girly cars were just out there enjoying a quick "feel." Precision and balance? Who needs that in a SPORTS CAR?

I will probably never own a Porsche again given what $ I am willing to allocate to my driving experience. But I am secure enough in my masculinity to enjoy the heck out of my son's tossable Miata and my wife's brilliant Mini-Cooper.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Jimmy== Let's price a GS convertible and a Boxster S. About the same. I'll take the quality built Porsche any time over the C6.5.

Get notified of new replies

To Article in AutoWeek to share...

Old 07-09-2013, 07:46 AM
skank
Melting Slicks

Received 1,152 Likes on 514 Posts

Jimmy== Let's price a GS convertible and a Boxster S. About the same. I'll take the quality built Porsche any time over the C6.5.
Cheap unibody construction (Floppy sheet steel welded into a honeycomb of compartments) is not quality build techniques. Porsche, the only sports car company that utilizes this cheap body construction method.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:58 AM
RedC7AZ
Race Director

Received 534 Likes on 334 Posts

That is unfortunate you were disappointed in your Z4. I love mine. Only reason I am thinking of selling it is because warranty is up soon.

C7 Coupe still an open air car, so not an apple to oranges situation in my opinion.

Comparing a Boxster Base to a C7 is more apples to oranges.

I was disappointed in the 2013 Boxster Base. Test drove a used one with 1900 miles on it. No torque, and way underpowered. Other than that the car was fine.

Last edited by RedC7AZ; 07-09-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Parker Corvette
Pro

Shank---I have owned too many Corvettes and experienced cheap materials and build quality. Let's not even get into the dealership experience with Chevrolet the land of the 400 credit score. My guess is that the C6.5 will continue to offer poor build quality and will continue to cut the corners everywhere possible as dictated by the GM bean counters. I don't think you have any clue about construction of an automobile. Let's just see about the reviews in regard to quality build and materials of the new C6.5 Based on the reviews, I may have to change my mind and refer to the new C6.4.

Quick Reply: Article in AutoWeek to share...