C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick question on backup lights.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 AM
Commodore
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick question on backup lights.

My '75 has a four speed and the stock shifter. Where is the backup light switch located and where on the shifter/transmission is it bolted? I've got access to my neighbors lift this weekend and want to fix it while the car is in the air. Thanks.
RB
Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 AM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

you probably have a super t10. the switch bolts on to the lower 2 sidecover bolts on the transmission. connects to your harness up inside the transmission tunnel inside your console.. then you will have a tiny little rod that connects to your reverse lever on your tranny that you will have to bend just right to get it all to work..

plan on a full day....
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 AM
toolman0114
Racer

My 74 has a Muncie M20, the switch for the back-up lights is mounted to the linkage bracket on the side the tranny.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 AM
F22
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 211 Posts

I'll bet that the tiny eetsy-beetsy little hair pin clip fell off the tiny rod that actually actuates the back up switch off the reverse bell crank. You'll find that small rod moving around freely, because the clip fell out and it's an easy fix. That was the cheapest Corvette fix I had ever done. Ten Cents! It's right at the bottom of the trans and easy to get to.

If you have to replace it, that's another thing. The other end of the harness of the green and pink wires are up by the steering column.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 AM
Commodore
Instructor

Thanks guys. I'll soon know what's going on down there. If I need to play in the column with those dreaded green and pink wires I think I'll just bypass the entire mess and go to plan 'B' which is to put in a switch under the dash near the courtesy light bulb to switch on and off the backup lights. The system, while a little clumsy, works well on my '68 Mustang with its messed up backup light switch. A fun bonus of this Mickey Mouse work around is driving along at 60 mph at night and throwing on the backup lights . It scares the poop out of those pesky tailgaters trying to burn a hole through your car with their high beams .
RB
Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM
toolman0114
Racer

First try making the switch by hand while somebody looks to see if the B/U kites come on. If not, test the switch and see if it works properly. If I remember correctly it is just an open/closed switch. If the switch is ok, try jumping the two wires that connect to the switch to see if they come on.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Commodore
Instructor

What fuse, relay or fusable link sends DC to the switch and bulbs? With the info you folks have passed along I think I should have no trouble getting the lights up and running. Thanks once again . Will my backup lights system care if I swap out the standard bulbs for some very bright LED's?
RB
Old 04-25-2013, 11:03 AM
toolman0114
Racer

The pink wire should be the hot wire feeding the switch, the light green wire goes to the bulb. The pink wire taps into the directional signal which is fed from the fuse. Check you fuse box to see if it is labeled as such, or better yet, get a wiring diagram and you will have all the info you need. The is a member here that will send you the wiring diagram you need.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:48 AM
Commodore
Instructor

I'll assume that as the directional signals are functioning the fuse (third fuse from bottom right side of block) is OK. Rather foolishly, I haven't pulled the light fixtures yet to check for corrosion or if the bulbs are good (much too easy). If everything is OK back there I'll be visiting the underside of the car this weekend (I have access to a lift ). Thanks.
RB
Old 04-26-2013, 12:47 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

Took me several different attempts, and a couple months of frustration to.get mine working properly. I had no switch at all, but the ligbts worked when jumped. My problem was i couldnt get the lights to.go back off when activated by the proper ssitch. Thats what took a lot of trial and error to finally get right.

Get notified of new replies

To Quick question on backup lights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quick question on backup lights.