C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why go to non run flat tires?

Old 03-30-2013, 03:58 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Why go to non run flat tires?

If you went to non run flat tires, what was the reason? Any concerns about getting a flat - especially on a trip? If you have a GS, which tire did you choose?
Old 03-30-2013, 04:14 PM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

IMHO - it's

because A. you are chasing the absolute best possible traction & grip available and will sacrifice the issues, costs and annoyances associated with flat tires.

because B. your car came equipped with the Goodyear run flats, which are awful tires in multiple ways, and you think that all run flats are bad tires as a result

because C. MONEY - non-run-flats are cheaper. Performance may or may not be comparable with today's best run-flats but it's interesting where folks choose to save money

because D. you demand some looney tunes size that is not available in run-flats.

I would submit that the order or reasoning is likely: C - B - A - D
Old 03-30-2013, 04:16 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess its NOT for everyone to use NON run flat tires, but for me here are my reasons ....not sure if I'm right or not..

1. Non RF tires are less expensive (cheaper)

2. Non RF tires ride batter, and you can get them in compounds that will out perform the RF

3. About flats... I'm 70 yrs old & I have Non RF tires on my 05 and I just bought two cans of "Fix-A-Flat..

4. I haven't had to use it on my car but used it on a neighbor who got a flat & had no spare.. I stopped the air leak, & he was able to drive to a gas station to get the tire pressure to 30 lb & he drove home (100 miles...

I personally have a compressor (forgot the name) but its a 12 volt compressor with a can of fix-a-flat hooked up to it, it will inflate my tire & seal the leak...

Also I have a tow co. that can be called from my car inc. company (Gecko)

Bottom line I have Top of The Line tires for about 1/2 the price of the OEM Run Flats!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jpee
I personally have a compressor (forgot the name) but its a 12 volt compressor with a can of fix-a-flat hooked up to it, it will inflate my tire & seal the leak...
Interesting, if you happen to find out the name please post it.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:36 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,142 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech

IMHO - it's

because A. you are chasing the absolute best possible traction & grip available and will sacrifice the issues, costs and annoyances associated with flat tires.

because B. your car came equipped with the Goodyear run flats, which are awful tires in multiple ways, and you think that all run flats are bad tires as a result

because C. MONEY - non-run-flats are cheaper. Performance may or may not be comparable with today's best run-flats but it's interesting where folks choose to save money

because D. you demand some looney tunes size that is not available in run-flats.

Damn !! quit being so reasonable.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CK 6
It was a standard item for the C5 Z06.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:46 PM
jpee
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just went to the garage, and here is all I can find on it.. its called

"Continental" or ContiComfortkit

Continental Tire North America
1800 Continental Boulevard
Charlotte NC 28273

here is a phone # I found on the instruction sheet..1-800-847-3349 call Mon - Fri 8:30 am - 5:30 pm EST

It's made by Continental Tire in Charlotte NC

PS It is a QUALITY piece of equipment.. it can be use with the sealant (if you have a leak, or just as a compresser..it has a built in pressure gage & I think it cost about $50...

Last edited by jpee; 03-30-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:00 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,557 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Here is the compressor I keep in the back of my C6. It fits beautifully in one of the rear storage compartments. Powerful too. It fills most car tires from flat in about 2 minutes...

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

P.S. You can find it cheaper than this at a certain on-line "book store"...
Old 03-30-2013, 05:43 PM
42Chevy
It's 5 o'clock Somewhere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts
St Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by michaelinmech

IMHO - it's

Old 03-30-2013, 05:53 PM
Deftly
Melting Slicks

Do any of you have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on your car? If so, what do you think about them?
Old 03-30-2013, 06:15 PM
Ferocious C6
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E. because you realize a can of fix-a-flat and a compressor will do the same. And you have a lighter tire. And you want a better tire.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:50 PM
dckotwicki
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Conti

I have ordered Continental Extreme Contact DW's.

Gonna pick up a small pump and a set of plugs.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:09 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Do any of you have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on your car? If so, what do you think about them?
I have Super Sports on my 11 GS Vert for about 4k miles right now. The car performs better in every category.

Blow outs are rare, extremely to be honest. Unless you hit something. One member here had run flats and hit something and still needed a toe truck eventually. 50 mile range is a joke out west anyway. You don't want to drive 50mph on the interstate out here. That is a good way to get killed.

Most leaks are slow leakers. I have a good air compressor in my car. I even carry it on long trips in my other cars. I also have a can of slime for the fast leaks and a repair kit. So generally I'm covered with the exception of a blowout.

The Super Sports are great in the rain, better overall performance, better ride, better than any run flat in the cold (probably because the side walls are not stiff), they are cheaper, quieter and I noticed a gas mileage increase of around 10%.

After 4k miles I lost about 1/32d of tread so I have another 6/32ds to I hit the bars, maybe 25-30k miles. Most max dry weather performance run flats won't last that long.

Grip is amazing with the Super Sports. Brand new I got them up to .87g on an onramp and I wasn't pushing them.

Michelin rates the Super Sport better in every category than the PS2 ZP on its website. Price difference is about $600. BStones run flats cost around the same as Super Sports.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:19 PM
budgreen3564
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 238 Likes on 128 Posts

I think it's called Fix a Flat Kit or something like that. Fix a Flat has the regular cans and the kit with compressor.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:23 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

the reason i went with NON run flats.

1) noise , was just too noisy, non runflats Nitto Invo are much quieter. the last straw was when my brother and i were traveling, trying to use onstar , it couldnt understand the phone number i was saying, no matter how many times i tried! i was embarrassed!

2) ride, rough , very rough, again non runflats Nitton Invo are smoother , MUCH smoother

there are other NON runflats i might have picked, just thought i would try them first.

almost hated to switch, but with fast excellent compressor and green slime (i will only use in dire emergencies) and a plug kit, i feel safe.

oh, before i switched and called my insurance company (which has towing in it), i asked if they would assure me they would pay for a flatbed service. they checked and said, 'actually that would be all we would allow for your car, so absolutely YES'.
i too use... http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...+compressor.do Most small compressors put out about as much air as a panting squirrel.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Corvettinator
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

OTOH, I recently had a 0 PSI flat with my RF's and I was very glad I had them. I might feel different once I get a tow hook, but I don't trust tow trucks. And had this happened at 80MPH, I might be typing this with my tongue like Stephen Hawking. After seeing a GT-R with Bridgestone RF's get a flat at 155MPH on Fifth Gear and not lose control really sold me.

I wonder how many non-RF's-are-better! types are really shaving a second off of their track times.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,494 Likes on 815 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Slime COMP01 12-Volt Plug and Pump Tire Inflator : Amazon.com : Automotive Slime COMP01 12-Volt Plug and Pump Tire Inflator : Amazon.com : Automotive

Get notified of new replies

To Why go to non run flat tires?

Old 03-30-2013, 08:15 PM
ProfessorDeath
Safety Car

Received 165 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Because under 65 degrees and "attempting" any type of quick acceleration, 1st gear is worthless, 2nd gear is worthless, and 3rd gear is next to worthless. I'd rather have tires with enough grip I can actually accelerate without turning my $1500 investment into whitish-blue smoke and black lines on the road by barely tapping the accelerator.

I've also heard road noise decreases noticeably after a tire swap with non RF's.

I also like to go to the race tracks, and if I'm going to be going through a few sets of tires, $800 for a set of 4 Hankook V12 is a lot easier to swallow than $1500 a pop for a set of factory R/F's.

These are my reasons.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Gman in NC
Melting Slicks

Received 136 Likes on 75 Posts

I've had great service out of my GoodYears. I'm over 38,000 miles now and have only bought one set of fronts. The rears are original and will probably do me another 3 or 4 thousand.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:35 PM
Corvette03051
Melting Slicks

Received 410 Likes on 218 Posts

Default Run flats

Improvement depends on choosing a better tire not just non run flat
GM makes compressor/tire sealer kits for their non spare tire cars
Just bought brand new on Ebay for $60.00
Not telling you what to do but I've done Bridgestone RE11's twice and couldn't be happier. Downside is they are an extreme performance tires
which limits mileage and they have no warranty. I have never had a problem with the first set. Just put on a set on my C6. They are not overpriced either. Hold on to your hat they stick like glue on both launch and cornering.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why go to non run flat tires?