Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] 2015 C7 Corvette hardtop- low cost option?

Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 AM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2015 C7 Corvette hardtop- low cost option?

To all us hardtop lovers out there. Just got the latest Motor Trend in the mail and on page 15 in the MT Confidential section according to insiders in the know the new "base" Corvette in 2015 will be sold in hardtop only and badged as a "Corvette Coupe", will be powered by an all aluminum,direct injection 5.3 liter V8, a modified version that will appear first in new GM trucks. It will have "fewer" than 400 hp and different front fascia, front fender and rear diffuser to differentiate it from the Corvette Stingray.Its also said that this Corvette Coupe was the model for the new Corvette Stingray. Personally this sounds like the car to wait for. Could it be possble to get one of these babies for under $50K out the door? Even though this sounds like the "stripper" version, NOT!, it should have the basic creature comforts that we would need. Add some mild mods, (intake,tuning,headers,exhaust), maybe better rims, and 30% window tint, tasteful, non-ricer spoiler, lose the Corvette Coupe badging, yeah, I think this might work.My version of a ZO6. I just hope this isnt B.S.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:56 AM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Hardtop in this case doesnt mean a FRC design but just no removable roof option.

In this case less isnt more.. less is less.

Less power and heavier than the C5Z... doesnt sound like fun at all.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DARRYLZO6
To all us hardtop lovers out there. Just got the latest Motor Trend in the mail and on page 15 in the MT Confidential section according to insiders in the know the new "base" Corvette in 2015 will be sold in hardtop only and badged as a "Corvette Coupe", will be powered by an all aluminum,direct injection 5.3 liter V8, a modified version that will appear first in new GM trucks. It will have "fewer" than 400 hp and different front fascia, front fender and rear diffuser to differentiate it from the Corvette Stingray.Its also said that this Corvette Coupe was the model for the new Corvette Stingray. Personally this sounds like the car to wait for. Could it be possble to get one of these babies for under $50K out the door? Even though this sounds like the "stripper" version, NOT!, it should have the basic creature comforts that we would need. Add some mild mods, (intake,tuning,headers,exhaust), maybe better rims, and 30% window tint, tasteful, non-ricer spoiler, lose the Corvette Coupe badging, yeah, I think this might work.My version of a ZO6. I just hope this isnt B.S.
maybe the "Body in White". a vary basic road race version many ppl have been asking for. Just enough to pass DOT safety standards. yet not too much to strip out weld in a roll cage and build into a road racing car.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Interesting...

Toque
Old 02-25-2013, 04:09 PM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PeteZ06
Hardtop in this case doesnt mean a FRC design but just no removable roof option.

In this case less isnt more.. less is less.

Less power and heavier than the C5Z... doesnt sound like fun at all.
Well, in this case, I know its early in the C7 progression, but, I dont think this version would be heavier than the upcoming car. i would think it would be lighter, (smaller motor,smaller wheeel/tire pkg. for instance) and if it has 400 hp standard, its hard for me to believe that GM would produce any modern corvette that wouldnt do 0-60 in 4sec, if its slower than that, why bother. What I was pointing out was this version has a lot of potential(cam,heads,supercharger,turboch arging,nitrous). There are some current C5Z owners whose cars are as stock as when they came from the factory, so this setup would be enough for some individuals. For my personal tastes, it would be hard for me to believe that even with a 5.3 ltr. engine /6spd combo, that these babies couldnt at least be as fast as a stock C5Zand with some mild mods, these cars could also be potential bang for the buck rides. Another point is that I would this that GM is looking at a younger demographic, making it easier to get into a Corvette if its under $50K. i will admit that this setup may not be to everyones tastes but neither was the original FRCs. More now than when they came out the FRC/ZO6 are the cars to have.

Last edited by DARRYLZO6; 02-25-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:29 PM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by DARRYLZO6
Well, in this case, I know its early in the C7 progression, but, I dont think this version would be heavier than the upcoming car. i would think it would be lighter, (smaller motor,smaller wheeel/tire pkg. for instance) and if it has 400 hp standard, its hard for me to believe that GM would produce any modern corvette that wouldnt do 0-60 in 4sec, if its slower than that, why bother. What I was pointing out was this version has a lot of potential(cam,heads,supercharger,turboch arging,nitrous). There are some current C5Z owners whose cars are as stock as when they came from the factory, so this setup would be enough for some individuals. For my personal tastes, it would be hard for me to believe that even with a 5.3 ltr. engine /6spd combo, that these babies couldnt at least be as fast as a stock C5Zand with some mild mods, these cars could also be potential bang for the buck rides. Another point is that I would this that GM is looking at a younger demographic, making it easier to get into a Corvette if its under $50K. i will admit that this setup may not be to everyones tastes but neither was the original FRCs. More now than when they came out the FRC/ZO6 are the cars to have.
C7 will end up being in the 3300 lb range...

C5Z was under 3100 lbs.. No way a C7 will shed over 200lbs for this base model...

So I'm sticking with my first post... that combo would be slower than the C5Z.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:35 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

you really think the "insiders" really know ... I doubt it, but to each their own in what they believe.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 C7 Corvette hardtop- low cost option?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] 2015 C7 Corvette hardtop- low cost option?