C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vararam intake is it worth it?

Old 02-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Kstylez
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vararam intake is it worth it?

Hey fellas I have been looking at this vararam intake on my 2012 grand sport. To me I see two drawbacks.

1) I have to cut into my car to install it
2) I may have to drive my car when it's wet outside. (possible water in the intake cuz it sits so low)

I know this intake has awesome gains but u guys think this is the way to go? I know that other companies make great intakes as well but this one seems to have an edge over the competition. Which intakes do u guys like?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM
puckett69
Intermediate

I have a Vararam on my DD 2005 Z51 and it's seen monsoon type rain with no troubles at all. Overall, I'm very happy with mine.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 PM
Kstylez
Cruising

Originally Posted by puckett69
I have a Vararam on my DD 2005 Z51 and it's seen monsoon type rain with no troubles at all. Overall, I'm very happy with mine.
Sold already!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM
puckett69
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kstylez
Sold already!
Glad I could help.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:07 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Sold already!
im glad your sold, i have driven mine since introduced, in heavy down pours of rain threw puddles snow and the fall with all the leaves, never a problem, and the performance gain is great
Old 02-05-2013, 04:50 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Go with a Halltech....no cutting and its a quality looking piece...unlike some of the other homemade put together intakes out there..
Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Kstylez
Cruising

Originally Posted by dennis50nj
im glad your sold, i have driven mine since introduced, in heavy down pours of rain threw puddles snow and the fall with all the leaves, never a problem, and the performance gain is great
Ya man I know deep in my heart it's the best intake on the market. I just wanted a little push.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Kstylez
Cruising

Originally Posted by LFZ
Go with a Halltech....no cutting and its a quality looking piece...unlike some of the other homemade put together intakes out there..
Are the housepower gains as good as th vararam setup?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:53 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Are the housepower gains as good as th vararam setup?
Here you go.....take this for what its worth.

Originally Posted by Halltech
Hosted the dyno for you. Thanks for the information. We see the same increase on the LS7 as well:

However...it was followed by this....

Originally Posted by VaraRam Industries
Wow, it’s amazing to see how many people forget that they have to get the VR moving for full power as has been confirmed by data logs from independent tuners around the world for 10 yrs. . . Most cars will see another 20-30hp through a ¼ mile, NOT the Dyno. This added power comes from the higher velocity air flow which is intercooling your induction system all the way through to your intake manifold. This increased MAF flow rate beyond vacuum alone, allows the ECM or tuner to run maximum commanded or higher timing than what can be achieved on a Dyno.
If you wanted full power from a custom stroked engine combination on a Dyno, you should have simply contacted VR direct. We would have set you up with a 102mm MAF and airbox tail combination to match your other 102MM components used in your stroked engine combination.

VR Tech
I use a Halltech CF102 with a beehive...its a maf forward design, clean, simple, and works great. And I've said it before and I'll say it again...Katech and Pratt/Miller use Halltech intakes, so it must work pretty good.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:10 PM
Kstylez
Cruising

Originally Posted by LFZ
Here you go.....take this for what its worth.

However...it was followed by this....

I use a Halltech CF102 with a beehive...its a maf forward design, clean, simple, and works great. And I've said it before and I'll say it again...Katech and Pratt/Miller use Halltech intakes, so it must work pretty good.
Ya man I have been researching alot since your post. I am starting to like halltech. The vararam rep statement sounded more like an excuse. I'm sure most intakes make more power when the car is moving. Maybe most don't make quite as much as vararam but halltech seems to make enough power when it's not. So it's not like the halltech isn't going to make more power moving as well. Thank you for all the info!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:30 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Ya man I have been researching alot since your post. I am starting to like halltech. The vararam rep statement sounded more like an excuse. I'm sure most intakes make more power when the car is moving. Maybe most don't make quite as much as vararam but halltech seems to make enough power when it's not. So it's not like the halltech isn't going to make more power moving as well. Thank you for all the info!
Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM
snapcity
Pro

I just installed my vararam intake on my 06 z51 this pat weekened. Here is my review:

BAD:
-Install was kind of hard due to removing the shroud (took about 4 hours) Other than the shroud, the install was a breeze (even cutting it was easy)
-The whole system feels pretty cheap....i kept telling myself this as i installed it. I had 2nd thought about putting a big pile of cheap plastic on my $30,000 vette

*Note all of the bad wa before i drove it.

Good:
-The power increase was incredible. My car is bone stock besides this and i'd say i shaved a compete second off of my 0-100 time
-No whistle, the whistle some CAI's make is annoying to me and this one is completely silent
-Prior to installation i was at 28mpg at 60 mph and now im at 33mpg at 60 mph. A pretty nice increase.

I have no driven it in the rain so i cant comment on the water intake. However, i would without a doubt recommend this CAI
Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM
snapcity
Pro

I just installed my vararam intake on my 06 z51 this pat weekened. Here is my review:

BAD:
-Install was kind of hard due to removing the shroud (took about 4 hours) Other than the shroud, the install was a breeze (even cutting it was easy)
-The whole system feels pretty cheap....i kept telling myself this as i installed it. I had 2nd thought about putting a big pile of cheap plastic on my $30,000 vette

*Note all of the bad wa before i drove it.

Good:
-The power increase was incredible. My car is bone stock besides this and i'd say i shaved a compete second off of my 0-100 time
-No whistle, the whistle some CAI's make is annoying to me and this one is completely silent
-Prior to installation i was at 28mpg at 60 mph and now im at 33mpg at 60 mph. A pretty nice increase.

I have no driven it in the rain so i cant comment on the water intake. However, i would without a doubt recommend this CAI to anyone who was interested in it
Old 02-06-2013, 02:56 PM
dennis50nj
Race Director

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

well crowhater said he would get back with 1/8 and 1/4 mile results, he hasnt as of yetalso the vararam doesnt show any gain on the dyno, i think i have been on the dyno with 50+ pulls and have proven same da within 10 ft a gain of .50 and 5 mph, the halltech isnt a ram air its airbox opening and filter show a gain over stock, plus need the vette air to direct cooler air in the filter area but no air is being forced so no gain in movement except a lower iat, there are to many fast c6s on top of the list with vararam to doubt they are the best, yes gary2004z06 is on top of the z06 list bolt/on, because he is a great driver not because of halltech
Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by snapcity
Prior to installation i was at 28mpg at 60 mph and now im at 33mpg at 60 mph. A pretty nice increase.
You know that just doesn't make sense, right? What happened is you messed up your MAF sensor readings, and your engine is running lean... which is dangerous. Any such change requires careful tuning.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:27 AM
snapcity
Pro

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
You know that just doesn't make sense, right? What happened is you messed up your MAF sensor readings, and your engine is running lean... which is dangerous. Any such change requires careful tuning.
The directions state that it will run rich for about 1,000 miles. It said it takes time for the air flow sensor to recognize the change in flow. But all CAI's claim to increase mpg so im not worried.

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam intake is it worth it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vararam intake is it worth it?