C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad headlight module???

Old 01-20-2013, 06:00 PM
nyelectrify
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad headlight module???

Hi guys, I have a problem of the doors on my headlights opening about 50 percent of the time when I ask them to open by turning on the lights on the column. Would this possibly be that the headlight control module is going bad??
Thx in advance
Old 01-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Crunchking
Instructor

I am having a similar problem. My headlight doors don't work at all. If they are closed and I disconnect and reconnect the battery, they both open up. I replaced the module ($350 at the dealer) and no change. I also checked the ground plug connector on both sides of the front end. Would really appreciate any thoughts at all. I have also already replaced the light switch on the steering column.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:23 PM
egrand333
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the problem of the headlights turning on but not flipping up about half the time. I replaced the column switch and the headlight control module and it didn't help. I then bent the prongs slightly on the connections to the headlight control module and it has been working fine.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Crunchking
Instructor

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 01-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Crunchking
Instructor

Still need some help. I tried spraying the module connections with cleaner and bending them, but no luck. I disconnected the battery and as soon as I reconnected the doors popped right open so I know the motors are fine. This all started when we replaced the horn pad although prior to that I sometimes had to turn the headlight swithch on and off a couple of time to get the doors open. New switch, new module, good motors (so good power) - what the heck am I missing here?
Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

My first guess would be the Steering Column Multifunction Switch is going bad as that is a very common issue. If you handy and so inclined,, you can open it up and see if there is anything wrong with it. If not, just replace it:

Here is a post detailing the procedure:

- C5 Multifunction Switch repair - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...f-replace.html
Old 01-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 556 Likes on 263 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Not sure what year Vette you have but here is the guide for a 2002

Headlamp Opening Door Inoperative

Step
Action
Yes
No

Schematic Reference: Headlight Doors Schematics

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check?
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Lighting Systems

Turn the headlamps ON and OFF.

Do the headlamp doors open and close?
Go to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems
Go to Step 3

Is only one headlamp door inoperative?
Go to Step 9
Go to Step 4

Are the headlamp doors closed at all times?
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 7

Remove the right hand headlamp assembly.
Disconnect the control module connectors C1 and C2 to the actuator for the headlamp opening door.
Turn the headlamps ON.
Connect a test lamp between the headlamps ON input circuit and a known good ground at connector C1. Refer to Circuit Testing in Wiring Systems.
Does the test lamp illuminate?
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 13

Connect a test lamp between the headlamps ON input circuit and the ground circuit of connector C1.

Go to Step 11
Go to Step 14

Turn OFF the headlamp switch.
Disconnect the actuator control module to the headlamp opening door.
Using a test lamp, probe between the headlamp OFF input circuit and ground.
Go to Step 8
Go to Step 11

Disconnect connector C209.
Using a test lamp, probe between the headlamp OFF input circuit (female side) and ground.
Go to Step 12
Go to Step 15

Test the power and ground circuit of the headlamp door control for a poor connection or an open. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?
Go to Step 19
Go to Step 10

Inspect the harness connector for headlamp opening door assembly for a poor connection. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and complete the repair?
Go to Step 19
Go to Step 16

Inspect the harness connector for headlamp opening door actuator control module for a poor connection. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 19
Go to Step 17

Inspect the harness connector for multifunction turn signal lever for a poor connection. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 19
Go to Step 18

Repair a poor connector or an open in the headlamp ON input circuit. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?
Go to Step 19
--

Repair a poor connector or an open in the ground circuit. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 19
--

Repair a short to battery positive voltage in the headlamps OFF input circuit. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Go to Step 19
--

Replace the headlamp opening door assembly. Refer to Headlamp Opening Door Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?
Go to Step 19
--

Replace the control module for the headlamp opening door actuator. Refer to Headlamp Control Module Replacement .

Go to Step 19
--

Replace the multifunction turn signal lever. Refer to Multifunction Turn Signal Lever Replacement - On Vehicle in Steering Wheel and Column - Tilt.

Go to Step 19
--

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?
System OK
Go to Step 2
Old 02-02-2013, 03:59 PM
Crankin
6th Gear

when the actuator motor is replaced, does the headlight need to be disassembled to access it? there is almost no room to get wrenches on the three bolts. passenger side works fine but drivers side makes a horrendous noise almost like a gear is stripped. using the manual wheel, it turns easily to complete the up/down motion. any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:37 PM
Crunchking
Instructor

Thanks for the info. The car is a 98. I should probably have bought a new one years ago, but I just love this one. it has over 200K miles, but it has a new hi-perf engine with a supercharger and racing transmission. I also gave it a killer purple and silver flame paint job. It is my toy and I just can't seem to retire the old girl. about the only thing I haven't replaced is the multi-function switch. Everything works, except the doors. I have cleaned grounds, replaced the module and the column stick, adjusted pins in all the connectors. Like a wife - love them when they're nice, pull your hair out when they're not.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:54 PM
KevinC5_1997
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Crankin
when the actuator motor is replaced, does the headlight need to be disassembled to access it? there is almost no room to get wrenches on the three bolts. passenger side works fine but drivers side makes a horrendous noise almost like a gear is stripped. using the manual wheel, it turns easily to complete the up/down motion. any suggestions would be appreciated.
I am also getting the grinding noise in my right side headlight like the gear is stripping. Anyone have any ideas on a fix?
Old 02-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Go to this link ans see POST #2

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...l-in-here.html
Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 PM
KevinC5_1997
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Thanks Bill. I ordered the double replacement kit from Rodney Dickman and will replace both as soon as it arrives. Looks like a simple fix too!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:18 PM
KevinC5_1997
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Thanks Bill. I ordered the double replacement kit from Rodney Dickman and will replace both as soon as it arrives. Looks like a simple fix too!

Get notified of new replies

To Bad headlight module???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad headlight module???