Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Lights flickering problem , video inside

Old 01-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Lights flickering problem , video inside

I don't see other problems in the car , but the flickering itself is annoying if I think about it, or just keep looking at the dash playing with idle to see if it's gone or not.

What are possible things that cause this flickering ?

Last edited by Mohammed_z; 01-17-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:38 PM
eaglevision993
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
I had a similar problem that was caused by a the wire going to the positive battery connector.

But the most common cause is the voltage regualtor in the alternator. I replaced the battery and alternator just to find out that my problem was only a loose connection so check the easy and cheap stuff first.

Does it only flicker with the engine running?

Best regards
Benjamin
Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Originally Posted by eaglevision993
Hi,
I had a similar problem that was caused by a the wire going to the positive battery connector.

But the most common cause is the voltage regualtor in the alternator. I replaced the battery and alternator just to find out that my problem was only a loose connection so check the easy and cheap stuff first.

Does it only flicker with the engine running?

Best regards
Benjamin

Yes , only when the engine running. I hope it just a cheap fix !!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:53 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My dash lights flicker just a little and have from the day I bought the car. I agree with 993 that the most common problem is the regulator but not the only cause. I don't know what parts cost there but if it is the alternator it shouldn't cost to much. Hope it is a easy and cheap fix.
Forgot to add if it is the regulator inside the alternator you can buy that part and change it your self without buying the entire alternator.

Last edited by mrmtrtrnd; 01-17-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM
eaglevision993
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could also be a loose ground somewhere, but have the alternator and battery checked out.
A weak battery may also cause this.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:46 AM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrmtrtrnd
My dash lights flicker just a little and have from the day I bought the car. I agree with 993 that the most common problem is the regulator but not the only cause. I don't know what parts cost there but if it is the alternator it shouldn't cost to much. Hope it is a easy and cheap fix.
Forgot to add if it is the regulator inside the alternator you can buy that part and change it your self without buying the entire alternator.
That's a good idea , I will try to search for the regulator. Thanks

Originally Posted by eaglevision993
Could also be a loose ground somewhere, but have the alternator and battery checked out.
A weak battery may also cause this.

I will test them both , but does a bad regulator drains the battery ? Because I dont feel the battery is weak !
Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 205 Posts

Please check the terminal block behind the battery, where all the hot feeds are connected. Mine was in need of replacement. Gladi caught it. Could easily have led to a fire. Same symptoms.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:56 AM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Originally Posted by DinoBob
Please check the terminal block behind the battery, where all the hot feeds are connected. Mine was in need of replacement. Gladi caught it. Could easily have led to a fire. Same symptoms.

I don't know which terminal you're talking about , do you mean the small fuse box ?
Old 01-18-2013, 04:57 AM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Is it ok if I installed a higher amp alternator ?
Old 01-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Default Update

UPDATE

I removed the alternator , replaced the voltage regulator and the laminated core.

Started the car and the flickering is still there. I think I just wasted some money and I should replace the rectifier now , if i'm not mistaken !!!! , I'm an electrician I know the rectifier has diodes and I didn't have a multimeter to check it , took it to a car electrician and after a while he told me it's fine. It doesn't need to be replaced !!

voltage regulator

core

This is a pic of a rectifier , but it's for another car (just to show how it looks) it's almost the same.

Last edited by Mohammed_z; 01-19-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:23 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Did you check the terminal block?
Old 01-19-2013, 01:24 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Check behind the battery for it. It is almost right up against the firewall. All the hot feeds run to it.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:26 PM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Originally Posted by DinoBob
Check behind the battery for it. It is almost right up against the firewall. All the hot feeds run to it.

There is a small fuse box there !! Do I need to remove the battery to see this terminal block ?? Can you show me a pic of that ?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:19 AM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry my bad in my first post I should have added start with connections first then move to the regulator. While the regulator is a common problem so are faulty connections like bad grounds. They are the source of many electrical problems in these cars. I'm trying to trace down a problem in my car and in doing so have found corroded connections and some corroded fuses like I've never seen before. These weren't my problem but would have caused issues in the future.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:21 PM
Mohammed_z
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrmtrtrnd
Sorry my bad in my first post I should have added start with connections first then move to the regulator. While the regulator is a common problem so are faulty connections like bad grounds. They are the source of many electrical problems in these cars. I'm trying to trace down a problem in my car and in doing so have found corroded connections and some corroded fuses like I've never seen before. These weren't my problem but would have caused issues in the future.

Are you having the same issue ?

I'm trying to figure out the terminal that DinoBob mentioned but I'll have some time next weekend so I change the rectifier and search for this terminal.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:51 PM
mrmtrtrnd
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

No I'm having a completely different problem on my car. The engine runs good but intermittently dies. It's been a real pain to find the problem but I think I'm closing in on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Lights flickering problem , video inside

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lights flickering problem , video inside