C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with radio/ cd player

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 03:53 PM
david2613d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with radio/ cd player

hey guys i was wondering if this in-dash dvd player would fit my stock vette.. my cd player is getting messed up so i wanted a cheap alternative?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstempl...equestid=90537

if not what size would fit a stock c6?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:06 PM
precious metal
Instructor

Your link doesn't seem to be working but I can answer your question anyway. There are two standard sizes for car stereos, single DIN (smaller) and double DIN (larger). Short answer, you car use either.

The Vette, as with most vehicles, comes with a double DIN or the larger type. Most aftermarket stereos are single DIN and use a "dash kit" to fill the extra space.

These extra pieces are how places like Best Buy and others can offer really cheap stereos. In order to make them work on your car you need to purchase a dash kit and usually a wiring harness adapter. This will run you an extra 25-60 bucks at a retail store or 10 bucks if you do the install yourself.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Oh, and don't go too cheap. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by precious metal; 04-27-2012 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-27-2012, 04:13 PM
david2613d
Instructor

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Boss+Aud...0018&st=indash dvd&cp=5&lp=8

this is an 8inch screen in dash dvd player would it sit flush in the dash?
Old 04-27-2012, 04:16 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

You should speak with Dennis at Double D mods.... He's a forum vendor here and will send you a prewired unit for a great deal....

Either way you will need a radio kit so it screws into the dash for any aftermarket radio to sit flush
Old 04-27-2012, 04:31 PM
david2613d
Instructor

thanks for the help guys. whats a link to some in-dash dvd players that would fit the c6 flush? i want to look as closet to oem as possible. with out spending more then $400
Old 04-27-2012, 04:39 PM
precious metal
Instructor

Agreed, I have not done business with Dennis yet his reputation is great. As for the Boss stereo you posted a link for, it is a single DIN so the screen will come out of the face of the unit then pivot up. I think this is a bad idea. Boss is known for cheap goods and anything with moving parts like that better be top quality or its gonna break, guaranteed.

Lets face it, we have all been tempted to go the cheap route before and we have learned that it never works out. Especially when you're driving a high end sports car. I know that many Vette owners go with a 1500.00 Pioneer or Kenwood unit. You don't have to go that big but I would definitely aim for a name brand like Alpine, Pioneer or Kenwood.

On a personal note, if you were selling your car and I saw a 250.00 Boss stereo in it, I would be suspect of the whole car's quality.

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:40 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by david2613d
thanks for the help guys. whats a link to some in-dash dvd players that would fit the c6 flush? i want to look as closet to oem as possible. with out spending more then $400
Here is a link to Double D Mod's website...

http://shop.doubledmods.com/CORVETTE...E-DIN_c599.htm

I purchased a double din Pioneer head unit from him a year or so ago. He pre-wired the radio harness to the adapter and sent the correct plate and mounting hardware. It looked better than the factory radio and was reasonably priced. The link above takes you to one of his package deals but there are others so I suggest a phone call. He is trusted here and always has great reviews.
If you choose to put the radio in yourself and have the above "kit" the install shouldn't take more than an hour with instructions you can find here on the forum.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's the answer: It's a flip out screen. It's meant for people who want the bigger DVD/CD screens but their cars have the smaller stereo openings (single DIN) in their dash.

With the model you linked to, I believe you push a button and the 8" screen rolls out and up.

Yes it will fit but you will have leftover space and will need the kit that comes with a filler piece. Some custom stereo installs with the single din use this extra space to do some cool stuff with illuminated letters and you can check them out on the audio section of the forum.

Lastly, I have a feeling that the pop out screen will probably block a lot of the AC vent that are over the radio on a C6. You are probably better off going with a Double Din unit that is flush mounted.

Get notified of new replies

To help with radio/ cd player

Quick Reply: help with radio/ cd player