Sponsored by:

Drivers Door Mirror Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drivers Door Mirror Question

I noticed today that there appears to be some moisture inside the glass of my drivers door mirror, and it is starting to cloud up (03 Anniversary Edition Convertible). I'm guessing that over time it will get worse, as I experienced the same issue with the mirror on my 99 Blazer, Does anyone know if just the mirror glass can be replaced on one of these instead of the whole assembly? Not looking forward to the prospect of having to try to paint one to match. I did a search earlier today and didn't find anything.
Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 PM
Mastertvtech
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine One
I noticed today that there appears to be some moisture inside the glass of my drivers door mirror, and it is starting to cloud up (03 Anniversary Edition Convertible). I'm guessing that over time it will get worse, as I experienced the same issue with the mirror on my 99 Blazer, Does anyone know if just the mirror glass can be replaced on one of these instead of the whole assembly? Not looking forward to the prospect of having to try to paint one to match. I did a search earlier today and didn't find anything.
Thanks in advance.
Same thing happened to me. Searching around I found out that the monchromatic mirror has given up. I purchased a replacement glass(not heated, nor mono) and will go to see a bodyshop friend about installing it. Some may want to stay stock but I could care less about heated or dimming functions as a whole mirror asssembly is in the $250 range iirc.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mastertvtech
Same thing happened to me. Searching around I found out that the monchromatic mirror has given up. I purchased a replacement glass(not heated, nor mono) and will go to see a bodyshop friend about installing it. Some may want to stay stock but I could care less about heated or dimming functions as a whole mirror asssembly is in the $250 range iirc.
I feel the same way and would be interested in hearing how you fare with this repair. Been down the same road with the heated monochromatic mirror on the drivers door of my Blazer. I'd rather just get a new mirror in the original housing and call it a day.
Please let me know how you make out. Where did you find the replacement glass?
Old 04-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Rexde1
Le Mans Master

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I had the same problem and orderd a heated non monochromatic for about 79.00. I think it was from a gm forum vendor. Put tape all around the mirror edge and tilt it down and pry it off with a screwdriver. Putting the new one on was a tough but some grease on the holes and alot of pressure and it goes on. I found the part number on Google.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:28 AM
CactusCat
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine One
Thanks in advance.
Here you go sir !
http://www.wheelskin.com/burcomirror...ETTE&year=1998
Shipped for $20. That is for a non-dimming mirror glass only. If you want to have a heated mirror then you'll need to remove the heating pad from your existing mirror (go slowly) and re-attach the pad to the new mirror. I broke my mirror when I was repairing a floppy mirror. This is the one I used and its an exact fit for the C5. If you do this, when installing the new mirror, push IN THE CENTER OF THE MIRROR ONLY !!! Also, heat the plastic back with a hair dryer prior to pushing the unit on as it can be a toughie. Heating up the plastic back will soften the plastic a little and that will help as would a small dab of grease or oil on the connection points (you'll see them if you do it yourself).

Last edited by CactusCat; 04-25-2012 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Here you go sir !
Shipped for $20. That is for a non-dimming mirror glass only. If you want to have a heated mirror then you'll need to remove the heating pad from your existing mirror (go slowly) and re-attach the pad to the new mirror. I broke my mirror when I was repairing a floppy mirror. This is the one I used and its an exact fit for the C5. If you do this, when installing the new mirror, push IN THE CENTER OF THE MIRROR ONLY !!! Also, heat the plastic back with a hair dryer prior to pushing the unit on as it can be a toughie. Heating up the plastic back will soften the plastic a little and that will help as would a small dab of grease or oil on the connection points (you'll see them if you do it yourself).
Awesome! Thanks CC!
Old 04-25-2012, 01:01 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I had a similar problem. I ordered a mirror insert from Corvette Central for about $80. It has the black surround and the correct mounting locations. Just pop the old one out and install the new one. It has the heated element too. Follow their instructions. It does take a lot of pressure to install so have someone help put pressure on the backside of the mirror assembly so you don't damage anything. I did it myself but it should be done with a helper. Make sure you have all the pins correctly aligned since they have slots so be careful. Some of the pins popped out when I removed the mirror but they went back in with no problem. I lubricated all the pins with a silicone paste. Good luck, sam
Old 04-25-2012, 01:03 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

PS: I removed the old mirror with my fingers. Pulled down from the top and it popped out easily. Put tape around all the edges just so you don't ding the paint.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:05 PM
dblerman
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CactusCat
Here you go sir !
This is the same route I went. Pried the old broken glass off the plastic backing. Then I installed the plastic backing back onto the motor FIRST so I wouldn't have to worry about cracking the mirror. Then I just attached the glass to the plastic backing with the double stick tape the kit came with. I got my glass on ebay for like 18$ shipped.

Get notified of new replies

To Drivers Door Mirror Question

Quick Reply: Drivers Door Mirror Question