C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

lt1 pushrods..one side has a dimple..does that dimpled side go up or down?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Default lt1 pushrods..one side has a dimple..does that dimpled side go up or down?

Im putting my car back together after a heads/cam swap.

yes, im going to be checking pushrod length, but I am going to use my stock (7.1825") pushrods as a starting point.

I noticed that there is a 'dimple' or 'circle' stamped into the pushrod on one end near the 'ball'.

Is this dimple/circle significant and should it face up (intake side) or down (lifter side)?

any help is appreciated!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:53 AM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

There is no top or bottom with SBC pushrods. You can use your stock one to check pushrod length, but they are not hardened. You will need hardened pushrods to use with guideplates on your AFR heads. I would recommend figuring the pushrod length you need and getting one piece 4130 chromemoly pushrods. The stock ones are thin walled mild steel, and I have seen the ***** break off the ends, or they can flex and break in a high hp engine. The 4130 pushrods are piece of mind, and will make your engine more durable.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:55 AM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tpi 421 vette
There is no top or bottom with SBC pushrods. You can use your stock one to check pushrod length, but they are not hardened. You will need hardened pushrods to use with guideplates on your AFR heads. I would recommend figuring the pushrod length you need and getting one piece 4130 chromemoly pushrods. The stock ones are thin walled mild steel, and I have seen the ***** break off the ends, or they can flex and break in a high hp engine. The 4130 pushrods are piece of mind, and will make your engine more durable.
Oh so true.......(What you up to Jim)
Old 04-12-2012, 04:16 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

Hi Wayne, I put a cowl hood on my 91, I was thinking about posting a couple pic's.

Hey Dave, sorry to get off topic.

Get notified of new replies

To lt1 pushrods..one side has a dimple..does that dimpled side go up or down?

Quick Reply: lt1 pushrods..one side has a dimple..does that dimpled side go up or down?