C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Retrofit roller cam....thinking about it, but I have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:24 PM
cooper9811
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 78 Posts

I've done both type pushrods, one with each of the engines I put together - the roller tipped is a really nice piece of hardware, and if you have the cash, go for it - but really not at all necessary. Lots of people run the bronze tipped rod with no issue. I think it's not only cheaper, it's a simpler setup to go with the bronze tipped pushrod, and just as effective.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:34 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by cooper9811
I've done both type pushrods, one with each of the engines I put together - the roller tipped is a really nice piece of hardware, and if you have the cash, go for it - but really not at all necessary. Lots of people run the bronze tipped rod with no issue. I think it's not only cheaper, it's a simpler setup to go with the bronze tipped pushrod, and just as effective.
Well, in that case, my choice is obvious! Thanks for all the info, guys, I feel like I know enough to start looking at prices and making a tentative plan.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 04-08-2012, 05:36 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Did a Crane retro roller refit back in 2004. Used the Cloyes cover with no problems. Used the GM aluminum water pump and just replaced the bolts on the back of the water pump with button heads and had no problems.

Now replacing my 350 with a small block so if you interested in cover, lifters, pushrods, roller rockers, pushrods, fuel pushrod, etc, just let me know. Cam is a Crane roller. I will have to search for the spec card.

Found the card. Crane 119821. Advertised duration is 276/284. 214/222@.050 lift, .488/.509 total lift with 1.5 rockers ( I have comp 1.52 roller).

I even have the recommended springs installed on my Edelbrock RPM heads. can sell heads complete.

Last edited by SteveG75; 04-08-2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Found cams specs.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:21 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I have my Comp Cams roller tipped fuel pushrod out for inspection as we speak and it looks brand new and there is no brinnelling of the needle bearings.

As far as the Cloyes timing cove goes I wouldn't use another one. Way to hard to setup correctly. Sounds simple but when you get down to trying to get the cam play you want it ends up taking way longer than expected.
Think about it, you have to set the roller bearing and if not what you wanted you have to take it off set it again, take it off set it again I could go on for hours, about the time it takes to get the exact cam endplay you want. If you want the best take a look at the pic below.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:47 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SteveG75
Did a Crane retro roller refit back in 2004. Used the Cloyes cover with no problems. Used the GM aluminum water pump and just replaced the bolts on the back of the water pump with button heads and had no problems.

Now replacing my 350 with a small block so if you interested in cover, lifters, pushrods, roller rockers, pushrods, fuel pushrod, etc, just let me know. Cam is a Crane roller. I will have to search for the spec card.

Found the card. Crane 119821. Advertised duration is 276/284. 214/222@.050 lift, .488/.509 total lift with 1.5 rockers ( I have comp 1.52 roller).

I even have the recommended springs installed on my Edelbrock RPM heads. can sell heads complete.
Sorry, this is a plan to execute next winter, unless life gets in the way, plus, that cam is a little bigger than what I'm looking for.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 04-08-2012, 07:14 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
As far as the Cloyes timing cove goes I wouldn't use another one. Way to hard to setup correctly. Sounds simple but when you get down to trying to get the cam play you want it ends up taking way longer than expected.
Think about it, you have to set the roller bearing and if not what you wanted you have to take it off set it again, take it off set it again I could go on for hours, about the time it takes to get the exact cam endplay you want.
I don't know what cloyes cover you had, but the one I have adjusts externally.

Just turn the allen bolt until it just touches the cam and that's it.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:23 PM
cooper9811
Pro

So not to be nosy - what cam are you thinking of? I caught that you are going with vortec heads, just curious what the plan was?

FYI - same cloyes cover I used by the way...
Old 04-08-2012, 08:44 PM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by speedreed8
using howards setup on my 79 350, cam, lifters, springs, pushrods. canton racing products reinforced timing chain cover, no fit issues, roller thrust button, lunati timing chain w/ roller thrust washer machined into gear. using oem fuel pump pushrod, and msd hei streetfire distributor. summit roller rockers on dart iron eagle heads.

http://www.competitionproducts.com/H...o/CL110245-12/
What length/type pushrods and what rockers did you install (part numbers please)?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:35 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Set my endplay about .007-/008

Try to get your cam on a billet core the metals in too many cast cores are garbage yes even rollers. Got a low mile XFI cam with erided lobes sitting here .

Avoid the billet dist gear so you dont need to run bronz in there.

Bronze/roller tip all work well..Howards has an impregnated carbon composite which is neat. .97 oz

thought some water pumps have threaded boss underneath for the timing cover?
Old 04-08-2012, 11:15 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

So not to be nosy - what cam are you thinking of? I caught that you are going with vortec heads, just curious what the plan was?

FYI - same cloyes cover I used by the way...
If you are asking me, I'm thinking about using this cam:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL08-408-8/

but I am not using vortec heads, the plan for now is Dart SHP heads.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 04-09-2012, 06:34 AM
cooper9811
Pro

That is actually the same cam I used with my vortec headed engine (heads were machined to allow higher lift than stock) - It was actually a really nice driver. It was just me being greedy for more power, but I ended up wanting a little more grunt.

I don't know which Dart heads, but depending on the versions you use, I suspect they may make plenty of power anyway, and the mild cam should give you nice street drivability.

This is just a thought, Dart heads can make a lot of power, you might not realize thier full potential with that cam. If it were me, based on my learning, I might consider something with longer duration. Comp has some reasonably decent Desktop Dyno software for modeling different cam/head combinations (Not CamQuest, I think it's very "optimistic"). That, along with others on here, helped me with many of my 383 choices.

Plus we obviously cannot discount the experience of the folks on this forum - I've soaked up more knowledge just reading/asking questions on here than I could have on my own...

Last edited by cooper9811; 04-09-2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:58 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It might have been mentioned already but if not then dont forget the mods that need to be done when going to a torrington roller
bearing chain set for your roller cam to keep the bearing oiled.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

That is actually the same cam I used with my vortec headed engine (heads were machined to allow higher lift than stock) - It was actually a really nice driver. It was just me being greedy for more power, but I ended up wanting a little more grunt.

I don't know which Dart heads, but depending on the versions you use, I suspect they may make plenty of power anyway, and the mild cam should give you nice street drivability.

This is just a thought, Dart heads can make a lot of power, you might not realize thier full potential with that cam. If it were me, based on my learning, I might consider something with longer duration. Comp has some reasonably decent Desktop Dyno software for modeling different cam/head combinations (Not CamQuest, I think it's very "optimistic"). That, along with others on here, helped me with many of my 383 choices.

Plus we obviously cannot discount the experience of the folks on this forum - I've soaked up more knowledge just reading/asking questions on here than I could have on my own...
I have a 3.08 diff gear, and I don't want to run a high rpm stall converter, so I'm being conservative with the cam. Do you think I'm being a little too conservative?

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gingerbreadman1977
It might have been mentioned already but if not then dont forget the mods that need to be done when going to a torrington roller
bearing chain set for your roller cam to keep the bearing oiled.
This is new to me, what is a torrington roller bearing chain, and what is involved in making these mods?

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by scottyp99
If you are asking me, I'm thinking about using this cam:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-CL08-408-8/

but I am not using vortec heads, the plan for now is Dart SHP heads.

Scott
Roller cams can be significantly larger duration than flat tappen cams and have higher vacuum and a nice idle. so roller cams I would guess can run @ 8 degrees more at .050

The very mild L-82 cam was 222/222
Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 AM
DaveL82
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I have a ZZ4 motor in my 80 vette right now but want to build a stronger performing track day motor.

I have the spare L82 motor with 90K miles on it and have considered building it with a roller retrofit kit. I can reuse the L82 crank and rods.

But then I think find a later roller block but most don't have forged internals but I could reuse my ZZ4 flywheel and roadrace oil pan.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Just turn the allen bolt until it just touches the cam and that's it.
any problem wiht leaks? How does your short water pump fit it?

Get notified of new replies

To Retrofit roller cam....thinking about it, but I have some questions.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:41 AM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by scottyp99
I have a 3.08 diff gear, and I don't want to run a high rpm stall converter, so I'm being conservative with the cam. Do you think I'm being a little too conservative?

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Yes, pretty conservative. If you go with the 72 CC heads and a 1094 gasket you can go higher duration, I would look at something like this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRS-CL113215-10/
Should work well with your new compression, 3.08 gearing, convertor and heads. Those heads will like some duration and lift. I assume your needing a retro toller. Your original link is a roller block cam and lifters. Lift and duration is figured with 1.6 rockers.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:59 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
any problem wiht leaks? How does your short water pump fit it?
No leaks. Short pump fits with just a hair of clearance.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:48 AM
BlackC3vette
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 63mako
Yes, pretty conservative. If you go with the 72 CC heads and a 1094 gasket you can go higher duration, I would look at something like this:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HRS-CL113215-10/
Should work well with your new compression, 3.08 gearing, convertor and heads. Those heads will like some duration and lift. I assume your needing a retro toller. Your original link is a roller block cam and lifters. Lift and duration is figured with 1.6 rockers.
I was considering the XR264HR until I checked the spec's for the Howard cam.

Quick Reply: Retrofit roller cam....thinking about it, but I have some questions.