Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Mirrors ? for those who Trailer to the Track

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:58 AM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Towing Mirrors ? for those who Trailer to the Track

I'm looking for a good set of towing mirrors I can use when I haul my car to the track. I have a 24 ft enclosed trailer that I use which is pretty difficult to see around when going down the road. I'm not looking to replace my factory mirrors just have something I can use when needed. Has anyone found something that works and doesn't just fall off? (my truck is a '11 GMC Sierra)

(bought a towing mirror from Northern Tool that looked pretty solid however it sagged and finally fell off before I could even do a test drive around the block)
Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by stangklrzo6
I'm looking for a good set of towing mirrors I can use when I haul my car to the track. I have a 24 ft enclosed trailer that I use which is pretty difficult to see around when going down the road. I'm not looking to replace my factory mirrors just have something I can use when needed. Has anyone found something that works and doesn't just fall off? (my truck is a '11 GMC Sierra)

(bought a towing mirror from Northern Tool that looked pretty solid however it sagged and finally fell off before I could even do a test drive around the block)
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/gr...ID=MIRRORTOWGM

#5153 were the best...unfortunately they won't fit my '03 Yukon

#5146 I've seen on a few trucks and it seems pretty solid.

Just set the cushioned adjustable feet on the back of your vehicle's mirror, hook the clamps to the top and bottom of the mirror housing, tighten the ****, and you're set to go. Mirror surface measures 4.5" across and is fully adjustable. Fits on left or right side. Sold individually; available in black only.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:36 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the **** Custom Towing Mirrors, similar to the #5153 listed above. They work well on my Silverado with a 18ft open trailer. I can see around to the rear of the trailer easily. With an enclosed you should be able to see the back corners pretty easy. They go on and off pretty easy and don't scratch things up.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:44 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vms4evr
I've got the **** Custom Towing Mirrors, similar to the #5153 listed above. They work well on my Silverado with a 18ft open trailer. I can see around to the rear of the trailer easily. With an enclosed you should be able to see the back corners pretty easy. They go on and off pretty easy and don't scratch things up.
+1 on the *****.

I use the slip on ones with my Silverado. Much better than the Longviews also on that page. Those lasted only two years and were never as stable.

http://www.etrailer.com/tm-2011_GMC_Sierra.htm
Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I tired the 5153 above and they were OK. But get a remote wireless camera and 3" monitor too
Old 04-03-2012, 02:34 PM
shotchkiss
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

we use the **** extentions on our '08 Tahoe pulling our camper, and they work fine for that. Cheaper at Amazon btw <$50: http://www.amazon.com/****-10900-Che...3477835&sr=8-1
Old 04-07-2012, 10:12 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I bought a set of the **** mirrors for my '08 Silverado when I bought an enclosed trailer last Fall. They work great for the money (got them through Amazon for under $50 ) and they are easy to put on and remove.

I looked into upgrading to the OEM towing mirrors but adding up the cost of the mirror assemblies, the different switch, door trim and the ECM re-flash would have come to almost $450 And I would have lost the power-fold function.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:06 AM
MongoZ06
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks guys for all your feedback, I ended up ordering the ****'s on Amazon with free shipping.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that's a good deal off Amazon. Never would have thought to check there. Bought all my towing gear from etrailer. Not bad at all for <$50. There is no reason these things shouldn't last. There isn't much too them.

I found putting a small rubber piece cut from a pad where the plastic screw tip goes against the back of the truck mirror helps. Stops it from slipping and sliding. My Silverado has those metal/chrome look backs on the mirrors. They're slippery. Other than that they seem to stay on well.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:57 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I've never found any strap-ons that work very well. The OEM slide-outs on my 07' Yukon are great, maybe you should just buy the OEM set for your truck
Old 04-08-2012, 11:19 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I've never found any strap-ons that work very well. The OEM slide-outs on my 07' Yukon are great, maybe you should just buy the OEM set for your truck
pics of yours?? I didn't know they have them as options and I have an 07

Get notified of new replies

To Towing Mirrors ? for those who Trailer to the Track

Quick Reply: Towing Mirrors ? for those who Trailer to the Track