C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Blowby question World Product Motor 415

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 10:22 AM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

if it was assembled by the machine shop, and is warranted, i would expect them to make it right...

Last edited by knockbill; 04-03-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,728 Likes on 810 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by sixty4
Hi all I purchased a Billy Mitchell 415 World product motor. The motor has given myself and mechanic fits (replaced the rear main twice now)! The problem we think is blowby making the rear main seal leakas well as through the pan bolts like crazy! After a few google searchs I have found others have had the same problem with the motors as well. Can anyone shed some light on the subject to help me understand if there is a fix for something like this overpressurized lower end problem? Thanks (I am afraid of the answer) but can take it.
In the final analysis, my bet is that the problem lies with the piston rings--either wrong ones, type, or improper installation. Just my guess.

BTW, what is the advertised compression ratio of this engine?

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 04-03-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:49 AM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by sixty4
Hi all I purchased a Billy Mitchell 415 World product motor. The motor has given myself and mechanic fits (replaced the rear main twice now)! The problem we think is blowby making the rear main seal leakas well as through the pan bolts like crazy! After a few google searchs I have found others have had the same problem with the motors as well. Can anyone shed some light on the subject to help me understand if there is a fix for something like this overpressurized lower end problem? Thanks (I am afraid of the answer) but can take it.
In any case, too much pressure in the crankcase, or not, the rear main seal inner lip is supposed to respond to pressure by pressing against the crank even tighter for a stronger seal.................the more pressure, the tighter the seal.

As far as the pan bolts go, the holes are blind on a Chevy block. Are they not blind on a World block?

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 04-03-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Comp Cam 1
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
In the final analysis, my bet is that the problem lies with the piston rings--either wrong ones, type, or improper installation. Just my guess.

BTW, what is the advertised compression ratio of this engine?
9.5 to 1
Old 04-03-2012, 12:46 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I had a friend with a 64 Impala 327 that had the same problem. He was getting blow by just like you and couldn't figure out where it was coming from. He installed PCV system and still couldn't get it to stop. He pulled the engine down and we found that the rings were misaligned. The gaps were basically all lined up on the pistons and allowed the pressure to go into the pan area. Once he corrected the ring gap spacing the engine had no blow by at all. Not saying this is your problem but I (like the others) would look at a leak down test first to see if the rings are allowing the compression to escape into the pan area.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:13 PM
vettsplit 63
Le Mans Master

Location: "You may all go to Hell- and I will go to Texas- Davy Crockett
Received 474 Likes on 337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Just out of curiousity, what weight oil are you using? The reason I ask is that I remember reading in Car Craft I think, that Quaker State had been doing some testing and some of the thinner oils were actually vaporizing as they reached the top ring land on the pistons and causing a massive blow by condition. Another thing to consider- have you had any instances of a water leak of any consequence into the oil system? That can certainly cause a blow by condition.

But all those who have recommended doing a leak down test are right on target. Once you determine where the leakage is you can correct it.

Last edited by vettsplit 63; 04-03-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:08 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 374 Likes on 64 Posts

Well I guess a leak down test is in order , Just will confirm what we already know whatever it is the motor will have to come out . It can not be fixed in the car .
Old 04-03-2012, 11:43 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=65tripleblack;1580455763]In any case, too much pressure in the crankcase, or not, the rear main seal inner lip is supposed to respond to pressure by pressing against the crank even tighter for a stronger seal.................the more pressure, the tighter the seal.

As far as the pan bolts go, the holes are blind on a Chevy block. Are they not blind on a World block?[/QUOTE]

I would think so, but I have a 434 sbc World/Motown engine from a fellow racer I have re-worked , because as a crate engine, it was a POS. Not built by World. That engine leaked lots of oil from each pan bolt hole located third from the rear along with many other problems.

World/Motown has had a very bad reputation in the past for bad parts, engines and correcting customer problems.

A leak down test is easy to do and will tell you if it is one cylinder or many.

You should find a well known circle track engine builder and have them go through the engine. Not cheap and get it fixed correctly.

Every crate engine I have witnessed, has been a POS. I guess they figure, if you cannot build your own, You will not know the difference between a 500HP claimed engine and one that actually makes 350HP.

I am sure that there are some quality crate builders out there, But how do you tell?? I would only buy a GM or Dart crate engine, If I did not build my own engines.

Last edited by vetrod62; 04-04-2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:36 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by 65tripleblack
In any case, too much pressure in the crankcase, or not, the rear main seal inner lip is supposed to respond to pressure by pressing against the crank even tighter for a stronger seal.................the more pressure, the tighter the seal.

As far as the pan bolts go, the holes are blind on a Chevy block. Are they not blind on a World block?
If this is a full round late model seal pressure pushes them right out of the block.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:06 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,843 Likes on 1,398 Posts

A stock production PCV system should maintain 1-2" of vacuum on the crankcase. No positive pressure.

The OP won't have any negative pressure as he is running an open vent in the valve cover. This isn't what's causing the problem though.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MikeM
A stock production PCV system should maintain 1-2" of vacuum on the crankcase. No positive pressure.

The OP won't have any negative pressure as he is running an open vent in the valve cover. This isn't what's causing the problem though.
Nope. Read posts 4 and 5.

Of course the crankcase should have (mostly) negative pressure with a functioning PCV system under most, but not all conditions. Positive pressure results during backfire, and near zero vacuum results initially during WOT.

The talk has been about a pressurized crankcase and I responded to a worst case scenario.

Yes, the OP certainly seems to have problems, and they will be found with the leak down test.

OP says he sees no oil in the exhaust. If he's not using/losing oil either, then it could very well be exhaust gases getting into the crankcase via a cracked head or leaky head gasket. Could be a crack at the exhaust seat(s).

Last edited by 65tripleblack; 04-04-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Jamis
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like a few guys have sugested a leak down test would be the best way to go. 10% or less is want you want to see. You may find one worse then another and that could be your problem cyl. Commen problems are incorrrect ring for application, wrong cyl wall finish or compression ring installed upside down (this wont show on leak down test but it will cause blow by when running). No matter what you find you will probebly have to tear it down to fix.
How many miles you have on the motor?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Nope. Read posts 4 and 5.

Of course the crankcase should have (mostly) negative pressure with a functioning PCV system under most, but not all conditions. Positive pressure results during backfire, and near zero vacuum results initially during WOT.

I don't know what you mean by "nope" In the first place, the OP doesn't have a PCV system, he has a CV system and he'll NEVER see negative pressure with that setup.

The rear main seal lips seal from OIL pressure pushing the lip seal against the crankshaft. NOT crankcase pressure!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:40 PM
65tripleblack
Safety Car

I don't know what you mean by "nope" In the first place, the OP doesn't have a PCV system, he has a CV system and he'll NEVER see negative pressure with that setup.

The rear main seal lips seal from OIL pressure pushing the lip seal against the crankshaft. NOT crankcase pressure!

Read post #5.
Paulywannafly says he installed a PCV system, not old fashioned vent system.

The rear seal lip is supposed to seal with oil pressure. Any (unwelcome and abnormal) positive crankcase pressure would serve to aid the lip in sealing, not hinder it. Again........only responding to a possible worst case scenario.

All moot now. It seems that the OP will abandon this engine and install a truck motor.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:57 PM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Well Mike just would you do to stop this motor from pushing oil out of every possible place including oil pan bolts? they are not blind holes bty tried pipe dope teflon and you name it , I have installed a one piece pan gasket still leaks and as someone else said I have a functioning pcv system just like a modern car so in your expert opinion just what would you do? Oh and dont bother calling Motown they recommended a rear main seal that was wrong for this engine it was undersized and leaked like a stuck pig my own engine builder got me one that didnt leak as bad . I have been playing with chevy small blocks for thirty years and was never unable to plug a sieve like this thing

Last edited by paulywannafly; 04-04-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:59 AM
Westlotorn
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,273 Likes on 814 Posts

I have yet to see if you actually have pressure in the crankcase, any chance you did verify this is the cause?
I have seen sealing problems with pan gaskets that turned out to be pan bolts a couple threads too long that bottomed before torquing. These issues seem very simple once identified but hard to find. All 400 small blocks I have seen are 2 piece rear main seals, is that the case on this World block? Fel Pro does make an oversize 400 SBC rear main seal.
Did World include oil drainback holes large enough to allow this block to vent?
I can't imagine that this engine can't be salvaged.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 AM
NOM61
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to pull this engine anyway to swap it with a crate motor, why not just pull it now and tear it down BEFORE you spend another big chunk on a crate engine? If the problem is something simple like aligned ring gaps (which gets my vote as the most likely on a new build with this much blowby), you'd hate yourself for throwing that money away! If you do the tear down and the source of the problem isn't glaringly obvious, then you'll feel somewhat better about spending that crate money. Its only a few hours extra labor after all you've already gone through.

DT

Get notified of new replies

To Blowby question World Product Motor 415

Old 04-05-2012, 02:36 AM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Originally Posted by NOM61
If you are going to pull this engine anyway to swap it with a crate motor, why not just pull it now and tear it down BEFORE you spend another big chunk on a crate engine? If the problem is something simple like aligned ring gaps (which gets my vote as the most likely on a new build with this much blowby), you'd hate yourself for throwing that money away! If you do the tear down and the source of the problem isn't glaringly obvious, then you'll feel somewhat better about spending that crate money. Its only a few hours extra labor after all you've already gone through.

DT
The diagnosis needs to be made regardless. Even if money was no object. I would HAVE to know why?

A crate motor may have issues of it's own.

Last edited by MiguelsC2; 04-05-2012 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:01 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by paulywannafly
Well Mike just would you do to stop this motor from pushing oil out of every possible place including oil pan bolts?

....someone else said I have a functioning pcv system just like a modern car

By the time I opened this thread, someone had already suggested doing a leakdown test. No sense being an echo box.

Your quote:
"Yes he does I installed it PCV on one VC and a breather on other".

A "modern" PCV system uses manifold vacuum on one side of the crankcase and air inlet flow on the other along with a sealed crankcase. This setup creates a small vacuum (negative pressure) in the crankcase and is called a closed system.

The fact that you have an open breather on one valve cover means you will never draw a vacuum on the crankcase as your system is open. You have just a plain old crankcase vent no more effective than a road draft tube.

If you're really getting that much blowby past the rings that it pushes oil out the pan gaskets and past the rear main seal, that should be readily obvious by simply pulling the breather cap off and look for puffs of oil vapor (indicating 1 or a few cylinders) or a steady stream of vapor indicating all the cylinders are blowing by.

If you don't see the vapor coming out of the breather hole in the valve cover, try laying a flat piece of paper over the breather hole and see if your pcv vavle will pull the paper against the valve cover which would indicate little or no blowby. You have to have a sealed crankcase, including the dipstick for this to work.

I would do this last bit before I went to the trouble of doing a leakdown test because it's quick and easy.

Are you pushing oil out the valve cover gaskets or just on the lower end? Without seeing the engine, that's all I can come up with.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:21 AM
paulywannafly
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Mike you mentioned other leaks as well . Yes it has spit the bead of silicone out of the galley and intake once , VC gaskets and even the timing cover . My friend Mark the owner has had problems with this motor from the day it was installed 5 years ago I am the second guy who has been working on it . The first guy who installed it gave up on it long ago. Mark is a guy who will not tolerate bs very long he has the means to toss this motor with no regrets although I agree this motor can be fixed just not in the car

Quick Reply: Blowby question World Product Motor 415