C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Headers Dont fit!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:24 AM
blkhrt12
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker Headers Dont fit!!!!!!

Can anyone help??? Suggestions PLEASE!!! Just received our second set of Hooker Headers (stainless) for a side mount system on our c3 Corvette. After calling Hooker the first time around because the drivers side did not clear the frame, they told us the "jig" must have screwed up to send back to the company we bought them from... So we did (after paying 120.00 shipping) we just received our 2nd set from a diff company too, well same thing, they do NOT clear the frame nor do they clear the steering box and they are up tight against the pitman arm.. WTF Hooker!!!!! We are beside ourselves thinking we have to bang the hell out of our 1100.00 headers. REALLY??? I know from googling - this has happened but I never hear the "how to resolve" part of this. We are stuck, cannot send back the side pipes (after 90day return policy) and not sure if other headers like Dougs will fit our car as well as match up with the already purchased Hooker side pipes... Please help, any suggestions are appreciated. Even if you tell me we need to destroy our headers to make this work. Not saying we want to do that . (LAST RESORT)
F R U S T R A T E D in MAINE...
Thanks
Stacey
Old 03-10-2012, 03:21 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I grew up (I'm 46 now) believing that Hooker headers were the best headers you could get. But the last few years, I am hearing way to many stories like this. Ya never, ever heard stuff like this about Hooker headers back in the day. I'm starting to sound like a grumpy old man, next thing ya know, I'll be yelling at kids to get off my lawn! Seriously, though, I would send them back, and tell them to just forget the whole thing, and go with another product. I think that when you buy Hooker headers now, you're just paying for the name.

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 03-10-2012, 05:04 AM
Clubby99
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of us on the Forum have OBX headers and sidepipes. Stainless steel. Looks identical to Hookers. Cost about $600. Best of all, they fit great.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:53 AM
blkhrt12
Heel & Toe

LOL Thanks! I figured that would be what most would say. It's too bad we are stuck with the side pipes. I guess we WILL make them work somehow. Just wish someone could tell me from experience how they "banged the hell out of em" to make them fit. I know it won't show its just very frustrating and YES Hooker will be getting an earful today by phone and I have already posted some nasty comments on their FB account! We did see the OBX and were afraid because I really didn't find much info about em on the net. I AM KICKING MYSELF IN THE BUTT NOW!!!!! DAMN HOOKERS>.... Well we wanted a Vette and boy we got a Vette and all the issues that go along with "fixing it up"
LIke those fuel lines, those stainelss are hard to get in while the body is on, and oh hey where did that rust come from near the rear tires (yea looking at some chasis restoration). Replacing the bumpers with tru flex, that has been I guess I can say NOT a walk in the park. But I still can't wait to get in and drive it... May be in the year 2020 but so be it... LOL
Old 03-10-2012, 08:14 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Hang in there, sister! You'll forget all about all the trials and tribulations when you're tooling around in it this summer!

Keep the shiny side up!
Scott
Old 03-10-2012, 09:22 AM
blkhrt12
Heel & Toe

You said it!!! I will be in it this summer... Been in touch with Stan at
2nd Gen Restorations in Walpole for the chassis issue.. I heard he is THE MAN. Going to see if he can do the fuel lines too since he will have the body partly off doing the resto. And...... those damn Hookers will be on.. I will post pics LOL
Thanks Scott for your POSITIVE words!!!!

Stacey
Old 03-10-2012, 09:32 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

You can always try unloading the Hookers on fleabay to some poor, unsuspecting bastard (before you butcher them, then they are worthless) and then pick up a set of OBX that fit.
Even if you don't get the full price for the Hookers, as long as you can recoup at least $600, you're not out anything other than maybe shipping.

Elm
Old 03-10-2012, 09:38 AM
blkhrt12
Heel & Toe

Good idea!!! Thanks. Although I would feel sooooo guilty LOL
Old 03-10-2012, 09:41 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Originally Posted by blkhrt12
Good idea!!! Thanks. Although I would feel sooooo guilty LOL
I'm sure you'll get over it quickly
Old 03-10-2012, 09:43 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I would suggest no one buy Hookers, I had to weld a piece into the #8 primary and make a ding the size of the grand canyon to clear the steering box let alone the idler arm. The problem you are faced with now is trying to ding stainless steel, it is no walk in the park even heated up till they glow red.

I feel sorry for you, if they haven't been touched then try and sell them and be honest and say they didn't fit my Vette, all Vettes are different, your frame may be out a bit etc a lot can happen after 40 years.

Try and find a guy named Josh don't know the name of the company his headers fit matter of fact I helped him make undercar headers

To bad not too many have these they are the katz azz 1 7/8" primaries, stainless steel and billet flanges he sells sidepipes to that make the Hookers look like a kid made them

Last edited by MotorHead; 03-10-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:27 AM
blkhrt12
Heel & Toe

Hey Motorhead!
I hear ya! Thanks for the pic, NICE headers. Got a response from Holley/Hooker. They told us to call and said they will fix the prob. I guess we will see. Fingers crossed. Yea we did ck the engine to see if the dimensions all matched according to the specs in the orig manual and they did, also the car is stock so there is no excuse for Hooker to be making such crap. If they do not pull through I will take your advice and post for sale and be honest to any potential buyer, then look for this Josh guy. I gotta have my sidepipes.. LOL
Take care
Stacey
Old 03-10-2012, 11:32 AM
fitter
Advanced

Hooker makes great headers, but for some reason there side mount headers have as lot of fittment issues since they moved their production to Mexico! I just removed mine after 3 years for other reasons, but they aren't made to the same quality as when they were produced in the good old USA! I would return them and check out the other brads out there. On a positive note, the other manufacturers prices are less than Hookers price. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:54 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,162 Likes on 486 Posts

What heads are you running? Perhaps Hooker used real Chevy heads to model their pipes on.

The stock Chevy head has the exhaust port turned 10 degrees past verticle and this would make the pipes angle in 10 degrees toward the block. This is why the Header Power Bracket works and lets you put the bolts next to the valve covers.

Here you can see that the angle is past verticle.

But many aftermarket heads do not have this 10 degree turn and the ports are verticle, so this pushes the bottom of the pipe further from the block.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 AM
Dracule
Advanced

Screwing unsuspecting buyers on ebay is ........despicable. Suggesting it is the same. Now talk yourself out of that one.
The following users liked this post:
JohnRR (01-12-2020)
Old 03-13-2012, 09:09 AM
U17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Hookers bolted right on... No problems....
Old 03-13-2012, 09:19 AM
ezobens
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dracule
Screwing unsuspecting buyers on ebay is ........despicable. Suggesting it is the same. Now talk yourself out of that one.
Ever hear of 'Buyer Beware'?
I never suggested for anyone to lie, just simply list what you have to sell- If the buyer asks a direct question, I would give an honest answer.
The poor bastard is the one one who doesn't do their homework and ask questions first. Apparently you don't shop ebay much.

This practice has been used by many business to sell their product for decades and now you're offended when I suggest to do the same?
I don't need to justify my comments- Even the tongue in cheek ones.
We are all adults here (maybe I'm assuming too much?) and if what happens in real life offends you, you may chose to ignore it.
You also have the option to ignore me.
Lighten up Frances..
Old 03-13-2012, 09:31 AM
CFD E59
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree , recently had a similar problem with Hooker although it was with a Camaro. Called Hooker with no help, I had to modify my buddies new $800 ceramic headers to fit. I had to dimple one tube for clearance. Never again would I buy a Hooker product, this coming from a guy who had chrome Hooker side pipes on his C3.

Last edited by CFD E59; 03-13-2012 at 09:32 AM. Reason: No photo

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker Headers Dont fit!!!!!!

Old 03-13-2012, 05:19 PM
blkhrt12
Heel & Toe

Hey everyone,
I would never sell something I knew was defective! Especially with all we have been through with these headers. This is such a pain in the .... We once had a defective boat (yes a defective boat, the stringers let go) and we were trading it in for a new boat. We got a decent trade in, but could not live with the guilt of not informing the boat dealers that there was something seriously wrong with it. So we went back and told em, YUP we got a crappy trade in but left with a clear conscience. Hooker is in the process of sending me a tag so I can return the drivers side and they are going to replace. I hope this goes well I would like to post pics after we FINALLY get these installed but I cant seem to figure out how to post on here... I will work on it! Oh and before I would sell em, I would have sent em back to Summitt for a refund and ordered another brand. No worries of me selling anything defective, I am way too honest for that! Thank you all for your input, if I have issues with my new set you bet I will be posting on "how to bang the crap out of em without causing too much damage"
Thanks again!!!
Stacey
Old 03-13-2012, 05:24 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,162 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by blkhrt12
Hey everyone,
I would never sell something I knew was defective! Especially with all we have been through with these headers. This is such a pain in the .... We once had a defective boat (yes a defective boat, the stringers let go) and we were trading it in for a new boat. We got a decent trade in, but could not live with the guilt of not informing the boat dealers that there was something seriously wrong with it. So we went back and told em, YUP we got a crappy trade in but left with a clear conscience. Hooker is in the process of sending me a tag so I can return the drivers side and they are going to replace. I hope this goes well I would like to post pics after we FINALLY get these installed but I cant seem to figure out how to post on here... I will work on it! Oh and before I would sell em, I would have sent em back to Summitt for a refund and ordered another brand. No worries of me selling anything defective, I am way too honest for that! Thank you all for your input, if I have issues with my new set you bet I will be posting on "how to bang the crap out of em without causing too much damage"
Thanks again!!!
Stacey
So tell us, what heads are you running?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:11 PM
blkhrt12
Heel & Toe

Hey
We are running 1975 original stock heads. The engine is the original and nothing (believe me) has been changed. It is the orig engine with 75000 miles.

Quick Reply: Hooker Headers Dont fit!!!!!!