Sponsored by:

Heater core - '69 w/AC

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 11:57 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Heater core - '69 w/AC

Anyone else have a problem ordering these? I went to Napa and ordered a #6603141 with the spec's the same as my original core:

Heater Core Height : 7"

Heater Core Hose Size : Inlet - 5/8", Outlet - 3/4"

Heater Core Length : 6 3/8"

Heater Core Width : 2 1/2"

I go to pick it up and the tubes look the same and the height is OK but the width is 1 7/8" (maybe 2) and the length is a bit different. He orders another (from a different distribution whse) and it's the same. He says "maybe it's a substitute replacement" but that doesn't make sense since the brackets holding the core will have a 1/2" space and won't hold it correctly - plus, in addition, it's a smaller core. So now we wait till Monday so he can call the tech dept. And I thought this would be faster than ordering one from a Corvette speciality supplier. I also didn't like that idea cause it didn't say who built them.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

His book has the wrong part number. That is always a possibility when purchasing parts from the generic parts suppliers. It is a good practice to compare your original with the replacement part they hand you over the counter.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 AM
TWINRAY
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

The 2nd one that NAPA ordered was a mis-fit, same as the first. Be aware to anyone ordering a Spectra Premium core for a '69/air, you will get a 2" thick unit instead of the correct 2.5" one. Making a long story short, I considered my original Harrison core unfit for boil out and "settled" on a "Vista" core that seems to be the most readily available. It is in no way comparable in quality to a Harrison unit, but like I said, I had to move along on this. One bracket hole didn't line up (because the Vista unit is sorta cockeyed by almost 1/4") so I drilled and tapped for one that fit. In addition, the clamp holding the 2 pipes didn't line up also, so I fabricated one that did fit. New seals and this is ready to go in. Now onward to the ductwork.

This is where I had to drill and tap for another hole - the hole about 1/4" below is the correct placement:

New seals:

The new core:

Ready for install:

Get notified of new replies

To Heater core - '69 w/AC

Quick Reply: Heater core - '69 w/AC