Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] nav/dvd unlock

Old 01-02-2012, 11:43 AM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 262 Likes on 215 Posts

Default nav/dvd unlock

Ive been searching for awhile now, I want to unlock the dvd player so i could watch movies while driving . Ok before i get flame, let me explain while im doing a long road trip for like more than 10 hours. My girlfriend and i like to rewatch so old movies its like listening radio for me. Or rewatch my favorites episodes of series. I bought a harness couples ago for my truck, but didnt found nuttin for the Z06.
for the record 08 Z06 with nav of course
Old 01-02-2012, 01:28 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I hope you don't find it.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:44 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Ive been doing for years, IM NOT WATCHING IT!!! I listening while my gf is watching it. Is it better put this way?
Old 01-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

Received 252 Likes on 217 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

This will do the job but you''ll have to get the movies onto your iPhone or iPod.

My friend has it, works well.

http://www.coastaletech.com/CORVETTEIPOD.htm
Old 01-02-2012, 01:56 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Joe_G
This will do the job but you''ll have to get the movies onto your iPhone or iPod.

My friend has it, works well.

http://www.coastaletech.com/CORVETTEIPOD.htm
Thanks but actually trying to use the radio dvd, its made for gm truck should something for vette as well
Old 01-02-2012, 01:56 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Maybe it work with HTC too?
Old 01-02-2012, 02:41 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

FYI - don't know about Canada, but in almost every state in the US it is illegal to play a dvd in the front seat (some states don't even allow playing a dvd on a laptop in the front seat) - even if the driver isn't 'watching' it.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Jesus, who cares if its illegal, who cares if its dangerous, thats not what this guy is asking.........nice to see that the corvetteforum has stupid answers just like the trailblazerss forum...........Can anyone point me into the right direction to have my windshield tinted 5% btw????

Timmy- I believe the lockpic will do the trick, but (I believe) its the same requirements in the trailblazer (even though different nav); that you remove the nav unit and reinstall a modified ribbon..........Which, I think is the same for installing a back up camera in the vet, nothing directly plug and play. But watching dvd's is possible, I did it on my trailblazer so my daughter could watch movies while I was driving........

Last edited by Maligator; 01-02-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by timmyZ06
Maybe it work with HTC too?
It has the standard RCA video/left/right inputs so it'll run anything that has those outputs.

I've had one for I guess 5 years now, not the video portion, just the iPod portion, it's been great.

It's important to order the one for xm or without xm, they are different. The hookup for the iPod thing is super easy to install, the one to make the video work is a lot harder, you have to take the radio apart.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:29 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

It has the standard RCA video/left/right inputs so it'll run anything that has those outputs.

I've had one for I guess 5 years now, not the video portion, just the iPod portion, it's been great.
, you have to take the radio apart.
Really there is no way to trick the radio like i did with my truck. Its like bypass signal indicated its moving or parking brake released
Old 01-02-2012, 04:02 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

When the C6's first came out there was a thread regarding this topic. Some one discovered that there is a certain area of the screen that needs to be touched, and had the format for the unlock. This was several years ago. But as I recall the DVD could not be played while the vehicle was moving.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:47 PM
kilr4d
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dmuellenberg
FYI - don't know about Canada, but in almost every state in the US it is illegal to play a dvd in the front seat (some states don't even allow playing a dvd on a laptop in the front seat) - even if the driver isn't 'watching' it.
It's illegal here too.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Really there is no way to trick the radio like i did with my truck. Its like bypass signal indicated its moving or parking brake released
You can trick the nav to work while you are driving (which my Honda Minivan and Pilot do by design) several ways. The Lockpick does it, you can short the speedometer feed to the radio, but it only works for a very short period of time.

There are some experts in the Vette Nav/Radio system in the stereo section of this forum who know a lot more than me.

Frankly, the Vette nav is so lousy I never use it. Trying to program it is a lesson in futility down here in FL...the streets are all numbered, it's a mess. The Honda system is much better.

My guess is an aftermarket system that does all you want might be a cheaper option for you. Only thing is I don't think you will maintain the HUD connectivity to the NAV...but that wouldn't' be a big loss to me.

I use my iPhone to navigate. It's easier to use than the lousy NAV in our cars.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:24 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Ive been searching for awhile now, I want to unlock the dvd player so i could watch movies while driving . Ok before i get flame, let me explain while im doing a long road trip for like more than 10 hours. My girlfriend and i like to rewatch so old movies its like listening radio for me. Or rewatch my favorites episodes of series. I bought a harness couples ago for my truck, but didnt found nuttin for the Z06.
for the record 08 Z06 with nav of course
Let me pass on some info from an "ole Grandpa" There are Portable DVD players that fit on your lap and you can listen while your lady watches. My wife and I got a set up for the Grand kids that hangs off the rear seat. Not that there is a rear set in the Vette but after we drop them off everything goes back to the original status in our SUV's. maybe something along this line will help

Clif
Old 01-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by z06clif
Let me pass on some info from an "ole Grandpa" There are Portable DVD players that fit on your lap and you can listen while your lady watches. My wife and I got a set up for the Grand kids that hangs off the rear seat. Not that there is a rear set in the Vette but after we drop them off everything goes back to the original status in our SUV's. maybe something along this line will help

Clif
Along those lines....an iPad does not only that, but about a million other things!

Get a cellular wifi hotspot, and you're on the road and wired, with traffic info, streaming radio, etc. That's how I roll!

I like the Lockpick because it hooks up the iPhone or iPod to the stereo for great sound.
Old 01-03-2012, 03:51 PM
dmuellenberg
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Maligator
Jesus, who cares if its illegal, who cares if its dangerous, thats not what this guy is asking.........nice to see that the corvetteforum has stupid answers just like the trailblazerss forum...........Can anyone point me into the right direction to have my windshield tinted 5% btw????
Maybe you don't care, but maybe the op didn't realize that it's illegal and may think twice about doing it. If you are in an accident that causes a death and they find out the dvd player was playing a movie, you can be charged with second degree murder. Informing a fellow forum member of legal issues is not a 'stupid answer'.
Old 01-03-2012, 04:54 PM
jerseydrew
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 77 Posts

i looked into this once and there is one way to do it with the lockpic. but the screen isn't a dvd quality screen the video would look absolutely terrible. your best bet is to go aftermarket. or as others have suggested an ipad with the audio feeding through the sound system.

Get notified of new replies

To nav/dvd unlock

Old 01-03-2012, 05:14 PM
Joe_G
Tech Contributor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jerseydrew
i looked into this once and there is one way to do it with the lockpic. but the screen isn't a dvd quality screen the video would look absolutely terrible. your best bet is to go aftermarket. or as others have suggested an ipad with the audio feeding through the sound system.
I've watched a movie from my iPhone to the screen using my friend's lock pick...the quality was actually fine. I was surprised about it, frankly, but the sound and picture were great.

This was a movie I'd downloaded from iTunes.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:00 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Along those lines....an iPad does not only that, but about a million other things!

Get a cellular wifi hotspot, and you're on the road and wired, with traffic info, streaming radio, etc. That's how I roll!

I like the Lockpick because it hooks up the iPhone or iPod to the stereo for great sound.
Did I mention I was 'ole Grandpa"

Clif
Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 PM
timmyZ06
Le Mans Master

Lockpick???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] nav/dvd unlock