Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definetly wave, it's one of the very few Vette things that's free
Old 12-26-2011, 01:54 AM
chassed
Melting Slicks

Received 281 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by zesstey1
i am a dh, i don't wave at anyone. I can't stand the bike riders that have to wave at every bike they pass like they are in some secret club, it's gay! Now i will give someone a thumbs up if the are driving something bad to the bone!

this^^^^^^
Old 12-26-2011, 02:54 AM
Ian99Vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While it may be somewhat overboard to have a discussion about it...I don't see why it's "gay" or weird to wave at another car owner. I had a Wrangler, we waved. Motorcycle, we wave. Supra, we wave.

It's not dumb, maybe a little silly. But it's a silly gesture that just communicates "hey, we both have a love for a non-typical (like Camry, minivans, accord, integra, etc...). It's something a little different that we both decided was worth it to us to purchase, and while it's not as rare as a viper or Ferrari, it's a "club" type car, owned typically by "car-guys" or "car-girls".

Motorcycle wave in part to say "hey, we both share in a love for adventure, and a vehicle above just to get from point a to point b".

The "Wave" in part is what brings the vette guys together, sort of a "oneness"..

Yeah, it's corny...maybe even childish, but it's a small part of what makes owning a vette fun, and a little different.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:06 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Ian99Vette
While it may be somewhat overboard to have a discussion about it...I don't see why it's "gay" or weird to wave at another car owner. I had a Wrangler, we waved. Motorcycle, we wave. Supra, we wave.

It's not dumb, maybe a little silly. But it's a silly gesture that just communicates "hey, we both have a love for a non-typical (like Camry, minivans, accord, integra, etc...).

The first time I saw any wave was in the 1950's riding in my uncle's MG-A. Thought it was pretty neat then...still do.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:04 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 366 Likes on 259 Posts

Everything I have is either old, impractical, expensive, unusual, anti-social, very beautiful or shockingly ugly.

I wave at people who have the same taste. They usually return the favor.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:38 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by johnson-rod
Everything I have is either old, impractical, expensive, unusual, anti-social, very beautiful or shockingly ugly.

I wave at people who have the same taste. They usually return the favor.
I actually have some practical things. When I'm out in the Caravan or Altima, I don't wave at other Caravan or Altima owners. My arm would get tired because I see so many of them. People don't buy prosaic sedans or vans because they like cool cars. Those are just automotive appliances. Try to join a local Dodge Caravan owners' club.

I do wave at Corvettes when I'm in my Corvette. Most, except some C6 Z06 types (WTF guys?), wave back. Most people buy sports cars because they like performance and style. There is something "different" about us. I get along better with people I meet at car shows or the race track than almost any other social setting. That's why I wave.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:44 AM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Originally Posted by FYRARMS
This is the only car forum I know of where waving or not waving at another car owner is worthy of an actual discussion thread.

Tomorrow I am checking the tire pressures in the Z06. Not sure if I will start with the driver side tires or the passenger side tires. When I make my choice, I will be sure to create a thread to let you guys know what I decided...
Sometimes I wave when Im checking my tire pressure but onlt when I'm checking the Vette! I never wave when checking the pressure in my Yaris unless of course it's Charlize theron in the driveway!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:47 AM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

This is the only car forum I know of where waving or not waving at another car owner is worthy of an actual discussion thread.

Tomorrow I am checking the tire pressures in the Z06. Not sure if I will start with the driver side tires or the passenger side tires. When I make my choice, I will be sure to create a thread to let you guys know what I decided...
Sometimes I wave when Im checking my tire pressure but only when I'm checking the Vette! I never wave when checking the pressure in my Yaris unless of course it's Charlize Theron in the driveway!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:54 AM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-26-2011, 12:07 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,221 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
I do wave at Corvettes when I'm in my Corvette. Most, except some C6 Z06 types (WTF guys?), wave back.
Dude, don't let a non-waver upset you. WHO CARES? Many of those C6Z guys are probably like me---I didn't buy my car to be part of "a group" or some kind of social club on wheels. I bought my Z06 because I plan on building it up into a 700+hp terror. However, I am not a die-hard Vette nutswinger, as I love many makes and models of performance cars. I am not a purist. I am shopping for another MKIV Supra to park next to the Z06. Saturday I was in my friend's shop discussing buying his modded '87 Buick G/N. I don't belong to one individual car "group", which is probably why I don't pay too much attention to other Vettes on the road, or notice if someone inside them is waving at me.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a snob or a douche, and if another Vette guy waves at me and I notice it, I do wave back. I just wish they would cut it out. There are a gazillion Vettes around Chicagoland, and my arm gets tired.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:15 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by itzza427
Kind of hard to make a judgement call with that brief description.Amount of room,,the manor that it was accomplished makes a BIG difference! I've been known to add a bit of oversteer on occasion,,but I've been doing it for more years than a lot of members have been alive!!If you know what you are doing,,it can be fun once in a while!!!
Trueee, I love kicking it out down low and turns cause its just a brief reminder of the sheer brute for my car has

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
So we own one of the fastest productions cars built and we get all wee weed up if someone presses on the go pedal a little aggressively?

Go buy a chevette then. Not everyone has access to a track.
True, I think the guy just felt like kickin it out, Use it since you have it lol

Originally Posted by zesstey1
I am a DH, I don't wave at anyone. I can't stand the bike riders that have to wave at every bike they pass like they are in some secret club, it's gay! Now I will give someone a thumbs up if the are driving something bad to the bone!
Originally Posted by chassed
this^^^^^^
How bout two people sharing a commonality between one another? You dont think its nice to see SOMEONE ELSE with a done up car the same as yours? I dont get tired at looking at mine but its great to see another person sharing your hobby.

Unless you just bought a vette because "Its a vette"
Old 12-26-2011, 12:32 PM
zagger
Burning Brakes

Man you sure like to wave and don't need much of a reason to do so .
I'm with the "it's gay" crowd. Only time I wave is while boating and only to some young, skimpy bikini clodded girls Never understood why some guys get upset when a hairy old dude does not wave back, but to each his own.
Now that I got my count up by one, peace out
Old 12-26-2011, 01:12 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by zagger
Never understood why some guys get upset when a hairy old dude does not wave back, but to each his own.
They are part of an elite group, yo.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:36 AM
Dixiecrat
Pro

With an attitude like that if I knew what you drove and reconized you I definatly wouldn t wave at you but would hope you could see the bird I d be sending your way !
Dude, don't let a non-waver upset you. WHO CARES? Many of those C6Z guys are probably like me---I didn't buy my car to be part of "a group" or some kind of social club on wheels. I bought my Z06 because I plan on building it up into a 700+hp terror. However, I am not a die-hard Vette nutswinger, as I love many makes and models of performance cars. I am not a purist. I am shopping for another MKIV Supra to park next to the Z06. Saturday I was in my friend's shop discussing buying his modded '87 Buick G/N. I don't belong to one individual car "group", which is probably why I don't pay too much attention to other Vettes on the road, or notice if someone inside them is waving at me.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a snob or a douche, and if another Vette guy waves at me and I notice it, I do wave back. I just wish they would cut it out. There are a gazillion Vettes around Chicagoland, and my arm gets tired.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:03 AM
jdot
Drifting

My Dad once told me a long time ago "not to outdrive my skill level." Looks like many of use still try to overdo it for whatever reason they may have.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dixiecrat
With an attitude like that
An "attitude" like what? Because I appreciate many makes and models of cars and am not a purist or loyal to one brand? Or, because, when I drive my car, I am more interested in actually driving and not scanning 360 degrees for another Vette to wave at?

if I knew what you drove and reconized you I definatly wouldn t wave at you
Oh, gee. I am so upset. Some guy I don't know isn't going to wave at me. My summer is ruined.

but would hope you could see the bird I d be sending your way
Ahh, there you go. Good job fitting the sterotype---a grumpy old guy with a Vette. Someone posts they personally don't care about "the wave" and a retiree says he will flip me the finger because of my opinion. Way to stay classy, Dad! And turn off your blinker...
Old 12-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Dixiecrat
Pro

This forum is for the love of Corvettes. Dont give a chit about your Ugo or anything else you want to poke around in.

Get notified of new replies

To To Wave or Not to Wave

Old 12-28-2011, 08:09 AM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dixiecrat
This forum is for the love of Corvettes. Dont give a chit about your Ugo or anything else you want to poke around in.
Did you forget to take your pills today? Let me recap this for you:

I own a Z06.
I love it.
I don't care if people wave at me.
You flip me "the bird" because of my opinion on waving.

Pure brilliance.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:10 AM
airbrush1
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

I wave... That said, I tend to wave at all sorts of cars.... Ones I've owned in the past, when I think I might know the owner, cars I'd like to own, chicks, etc... I find myself waving at cars when I'm driving my beater hatchback, they probably think I'm nuts!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:51 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by airbrush1
I wave... That said, I tend to wave at all sorts of cars.... Ones I've owned in the past, when I think I might know the owner, cars I'd like to own, chicks, etc... I find myself waving at cars when I'm driving my beater hatchback, they probably think I'm nuts!
me too...sorta. I've waved with almost every car I've owned, but there is a consistent thread where one might receive a response. My 71 VW Bus, '65 Beetle, Z (love mine too Fyr!), 78 Scout, 86 Blazer, '85 Land Cruiser and sometimes my 84 Audi 4000 once it got old enough. No one waved when I had my 77 Caprice, 90 Taurus Wagon, 325i, 95 Maxima, '02 Forester or my '09 TL.
As my 10th grade Geometry teacher used to say: WHAT CAN WE DEDUCE!?
"Special cars" get waves, common ones don't, no matter how neat they may be. My Bimmer was a VERY nice, cool car, especially the more one got to know it, as is my Acura. However, there is little feeling of camaraderie as there is in unusual cars, partly 'cause of what they are and also 'cause of their age. Heck, I wave at Model A's all the time and they wave back. Just letting them know I appreciate their taste in cars. It's just a nicety that 'car people' share.
So wave if you feel like it, and don't if you don't. No one should be beat up for either opinion. We are all here because we LIKE the same thing, remember?
btw, Airbrush, I don't think you're nuts, and if you see a guy in a 23' Trail Lite RV waving at you in your beater, wave back, 'cause we're visiting my wife's cousins!!

Last edited by chasboy; 12-28-2011 at 10:54 AM.

Quick Reply: To Wave or Not to Wave