C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 C6 1SA and factory heated seats.

Old 12-14-2011, 08:06 PM
cybercat
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 C6 1SA and factory heated seats.

I've got a 2005 1sa coupe.
I've searched the forum and the web for this answer and still can't find a definitive answer.

I want to put heated seats in my 2005 and was wondering if the oem switches would work with after market heating pads?

or
If I have the heated seat switches is there a way to use oem parts and install heated seats?
Old 12-14-2011, 08:19 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

This question comes up fairly often. The general consensus opinion is, it "could be done" but it wouldn't be easy, not plug and play......best bet is some type of aftermarket add on kit. Here's just one of many threads to give you an idea.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ted-seats.html
Old 12-15-2011, 12:25 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

The OEM switches will not work with aftermarket heated seat kits. The factory "switches" in fact do not switch the heating elements on and off. Rather, they send signals to the heated seat modules located in the seats that pefrom the function of turning the elements on and off and regulating the temperature. The system is tied into the BCM through the IP fuse block. The three levels of load management are controlled by the BCM. The BCM sends the status of load management from the heated seat modules to the HVAC module via a class 2 message. In response, the HVAC control module signals the heated seat modules through the heated seat module inhibit circuit indicating the current load. The factory set up is a very complicated system.

There are some very good aftermarket kits available (check out autowarm.com) that look factory when installed. That is the route I took for my '08 2LT coupe after exhaustive research on the factory system. I even ordered the factory switches and the ashtray bezel to mount them then found that they could not be made to work with conventional kits. Instead I installed the switches for my after market kits in the factory locations - they look great and they look factory.

Last edited by vetteright; 12-15-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:50 AM
cybercat
8th Gear

Awesome thank you for taking time to respond. I've got senors in the seats for factory air bags. Is there a kit that will work around that?

Thanks again for your help.

Originally Posted by vetteright
The OEM switches will not work with aftermarket heated seat kits. The factory "switches" in fact do not switch the heating elements on and off. Rather, they send signals to the heated seat modules located in the seats that pefrom the function of turning the elements on and off and regulating the temperature. The system is tied into the BCM through the IP fuse block. The factory set up is a very complicated system.

There are some very good aftermarket kits available (check out autowarm.com) that look factory when installed. That is the route I took for my '08 2LT coupe after exhaustive research on the factory system. I even ordered the factory switches and the ashtray bezel to mount them then found that they could not be made to work with conventional kits. Instead I installed the switches for my after market kits in the factory locations - they look great and they look factory.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:50 AM
cybercat
8th Gear

Thank your for replying back.

Originally Posted by RicK T
This question comes up fairly often. The general consensus opinion is, it "could be done" but it wouldn't be easy, not plug and play......best bet is some type of aftermarket add on kit. Here's just one of many threads to give you an idea.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...ted-seats.html
Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Originally Posted by cybercat
Awesome thank you for taking time to respond. I've got senors in the seats for factory air bags. Is there a kit that will work around that?

Thanks again for your help.
Yes, there are several that I have seen. I have the factory sport seats with the side impact air bags in my car. I ordered the Heizgerat Setzt Germany Model H3 Seat Heater Kits from the AutoWarm.com. site. (Also found on www.heatedseatkits.com). This was the kit they recommend for the C6 Corvette. This company supplies OEM seat heaters to Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Cadillac, Lincoln, BMW, Porsche, etc., (according to their web site). They come with round, three position (push the top for high, center for off and bottom for low) lighted switches that will install into the OEM factory switch postions on either side of the ashtray door in the C6. You can order an installation kit as an accessory which includes a special drill bit for drilling the proper size holes for mounting the switches in the plastic ashtray bezel. I believe that I paid $200.00 for the heater kits (the pair) and $45.00 for the installation kit plus shipping for both; total was $255.00.

You will need to take your seats out of the car (very detailed, complete installation instructions come packed with the kits) to install the heater kits. You take off the seat covers, install the elements (one in the bottom and one in the backrest for each seat) put the covers back on, wire 'em up, install the switches, and you're done.Took me about two hours I think. I used an "Add a Circuit" fuse kit from Autozone and wired them to the heated seat fuse slot in the IP fuse block (very easy, every C6 has this provision in the fuse block whether it came with heated seats, or not.) under the passenger side footwell.

The seat heaters have worked great and I use them quite a bit. The heat feels good on the lower back during long trips, even in the summer. They are a great addition to the cars that don't have them.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:39 PM
cybercat
8th Gear

This is the best information thank you. How did the bottom pad work with the seat sensors?

Originally Posted by vetteright
Yes, there are several that I have seen. I have the factory sport seats with the side impact air bags in my car. I ordered the Heizgerat Setzt Germany Model H3 Seat Heater Kits from the AutoWarm.com. site. (Also found on www.heatedseatkits.com). This was the kit they recommend for the C6 Corvette. This company supplies OEM seat heaters to Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Cadillac, Lincoln, BMW, Porsche, etc., (according to their web site). They come with round, three position (push the top for high, center for off and bottom for low) lighted switches that will install into the OEM factory switch postions on either side of the ashtray door in the C6. You can order an installation kit as an accessory which includes a special drill bit for drilling the proper size holes for mounting the switches in the plastic ashtray bezel. I believe that I paid $200.00 for the heater kits (the pair) and $45.00 for the installation kit plus shipping for both; total was $255.00.

You will need to take your seats out of the car (very detailed, complete installation instructions come packed with the kits) to install the heater kits. You take off the seat covers, install the elements (one in the bottom and one in the backrest for each seat) put the covers back on, wire 'em up, install the switches, and you're done.Took me about two hours I think. I used an "Add a Circuit" fuse kit from Autozone and wired them to the heated seat fuse slot in the IP fuse block (very easy, every C6 has this provision in the fuse block whether it came with heated seats, or not.) under the passenger side footwell.

The seat heaters have worked great and I use them quite a bit. The heat feels good on the lower back during long trips, even in the summer. They are a great addition to the cars that don't have them.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:14 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Originally Posted by cybercat
This is the best information thank you. How did the bottom pad work with the seat sensors?
It's not a problem. The element pads are trimable, and you can actually do cut outs in them. In fact you have to do some cut outs at the seat cover attachment points (you just use a regular pair of household scissors) where the seat covers attach to the seat foam so that the fasteners will work (the ones that hold the covers tight to the seat foam. (This is all well covered in the instructions) If you would like to see some pics of the finished installation, PM me your e-mail address and I'll forward a few. I did not take any during the installation, but really, there is not much to it.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:02 AM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Great write up on the heated seats, got me thinking about installing a pair now!
Old 12-17-2011, 02:42 AM
vetteright
Drifting

Originally Posted by B-Vette
Great write up on the heated seats, got me thinking about installing a pair now!
Go for it. It's a great mod at a very reasonable price. Even if you don't want to do the installation yourself, any auto uphostery shop can do it for you.

Get notified of new replies

To 2005 C6 1SA and factory heated seats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 C6 1SA and factory heated seats.