Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] 2006 vs 2012

Old 12-10-2011, 08:58 PM
sky1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2006 vs 2012

I bought from new a 06 Z06.It was a great car that drove well and the only problem was the roof that had to be repainted and replaced. It felt alittle nervous at times in the back,but handled great.I was never happy with the clutch,as it did not have the feeling that I liked,or the shifter.I had them both replaced with upgraded units.I live in the mtns where there are ALOT of twisty & curvy roads,so the Z was at home.I sold the car in 2009 and was kinda sorry I did,as it never let me down on smiles or dependability even after having it modded heavily.

Now fast forward to today,and about a month ago I bought a new 2012 Z06 with the Z07 package.I have put about 700 miles on it,and here are my thoughts.The clutch and shifter still feel the same,so I will have them both changed out in the near future.The seats are better in the 2012 for support and comfort,they still could have more support,but it is improved.The engine seams to idle alittle rougher then I remember my 06 idling,but I will give it alittle more time.The 2012 has SO much more grip then the 06 that in that dept it feels like a different car,and its not just grip but being more planted and composed even at more then 1g on the meter.The alignment is so aggressive that if you turn very sharp the Z will pop in the front because the tires are at extreme angles.It says in the manual that it is normal,but its alittle unnerving,so I try not to take sharp turns.It is a great car to drive and just relax listening to the stereo,or attack some mtn roads.Over all I think the 2012 feels more refined and more focused on how it handles itself in the curves,and I feel right at home.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:06 AM
peterpiper
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hot bananas! Don't worry about weird sounds in the parking lot, and just enjoy it on the road. Congrats on the new car. -pp
Old 12-11-2011, 02:56 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by sky1
The alignment is so aggressive that if you turn very sharp the Z will pop in the front because the tires are at extreme angles.It says in the manual that it is normal,but its alittle unnerving,so I try not to take sharp turns.
Sometimes, I do hear and feel some clunking in the front when turning. Why does "aggressive alignment" cause this? Where in the manual does it mention anything about it?

Thanks,
Old 12-11-2011, 10:07 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

My 2012 z06 is not aggressive aligned had that taken care of right after I bought it.The noise comes from the tires goodyear and the michliens are worse. On older models it is the sway bar end links in the front had those replaced on my 09 z06.
z51vett
Old 12-11-2011, 01:59 PM
GMuffley
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 12-11-2011, 02:09 PM
sky1
Racer

With the Z07 performance package I think the alignment is different compared to the Z06's without this package.The whole front pops when turning sharp.My 06 did not do this,and I can see with my eyes how much the tires are tilted inwards.If anything the GY on my 06 made more noise then the Pilot Sport Cups on my 2012 when I am driving.I won't get alot of miles on the PS Cups anyway.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:53 PM
hiznhrz
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I would expect that a model having been built and modestly improved over a six year period to perform as such. In this economy and at this point in my life, a 2012 is not in the cards. That said, I'm still pleased with and grateful to be able to drive a car that performs like my 2006 Z06. New or old, they are still an amazing car.

To the OP, glad to hear you are back in a Z06 and enjoying it!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:37 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

I own an 06. Isnt a lot of the improved grip due to the change in tires? Im assuming you have the old crappy goodyears on your 06 and now you have the much improved michliens.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Tsar
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also like to think the changes in grip are due to the cup tires, I understand they alone accounted for a much improved Nurburgring time on the Z.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:28 PM
sky1
Racer

I loved my 06,and after all the mods that I had done it was alot better then stock.I had the car lowered and had a front CF spilter and a CF rear spoiler added,and better sway bars,and Ps2 tires with 345 in the rear.I agree alot of the improvement is in the tires,but of course the suspension has to be able to handle the extra grip,and that is where to me the 2012 has been improved.Of course the ceramic brakes are a huge upgrade over what my 06 had.Again the stock 06 brakes where great,but when taken to a track day they would fade in a short time.I know that some 06 & 07 owners where complaining about oil starvation at track days with sticky tires,and I wonder how GM tackled that with the 2012 Z06 with the cup tires.

Over all I think all the C6 Z06's what ever year are great cars for everyday,or modding it and doing whatever.I would have liked to see GM up the hp even just alittle to like 530-550hp,as the car has a great platform to do so,but I am still happy that GM is making improvements in performance to there sports car.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:39 PM
1QUICKSSB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sky1
I loved my 06,and after all the mods that I had done it was alot better then stock.I had the car lowered and had a front CF spilter and a CF rear spoiler added,and better sway bars,and Ps2 tires with 345 in the rear.I agree alot of the improvement is in the tires,but of course the suspension has to be able to handle the extra grip,and that is where to me the 2012 has been improved.Of course the ceramic brakes are a huge upgrade over what my 06 had.Again the stock 06 brakes where great,but when taken to a track day they would fade in a short time.I know that some 06 & 07 owners where complaining about oil starvation at track days with sticky tires,and I wonder how GM tackled that with the 2012 Z06 with the cup tires.
Over all I think all the C6 Z06's what ever year are great cars for everyday,or modding it and doing whatever.I would have liked to see GM up the hp even just alittle to like 530-550hp,as the car has a great platform to do so,but I am still happy that GM is making improvements in performance to there sports car.
I believe the larger sump helped a lot with the starvation issue.

Get notified of new replies

To 2006 vs 2012

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] 2006 vs 2012