Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Daze: 14 & 15 November (Full and Grand Courses)!

Old 11-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
Dunno - but I will be at Chin this weekend....

Can't wait!
Hey Ken...remember the EVO ride....
Old 11-21-2011, 04:11 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 360 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Hey Ken...remember the EVO ride....
nice!

sure do...

Old 11-21-2011, 08:11 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06cool
I will echo that comment. And when will we see him down south at RA or the new track AMP next year....
Khoi, I am definitely coming out to Road Atlanta next year. I enjoy VIR, Summit Point, Watkins Glen, NJ Motorsports Park and BeaveRun - it's time to check out Road Atlanta. We just need to decide if we're doing a NASA or Chin Motorsports event there based on their schedules. What do you recommend so we can meet up?

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 11-21-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:33 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Khoi, I am definitely coming out to Road Atlanta next year. I enjoy VIR, Summit Point, Watkins Glen, NJ Motorsports Park and BeaveRun - it's time to check out Road Atlanta. We just need to decide if we're doing a NASA or Chin Motorsports event there based on their schedules. What do you recommend so we can meet up?
CHIN definitely for more track time. NASA if you want to get down with some Time Trialing. Let me know which dates when you have it so I know to sign up. At least at my home track maybe I can stay ahead of you (for about 2 laps I'm guessing...)

I'll probably do less quantity and more quality next year - meaning go outside the SE and visit new tracks. Mid-O for instance. For the rest of the year, I have RA in Dec and maybe NOLA New Years. Sunny side up bro...
Old 11-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
Dunno - but I will be at Chin this weekend....

Can't wait!
Ken, I'll be contacting you for more Carbotech XP16/XP10 or Hawk DTC 70/60s once I deplete my inventory at home.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:19 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I almost went to this but had been dealing with noise issues that I wanted cleared out before taking the car to the track.

When I was reviewing their site I read something about new people not being able to run racing compound tires. Would the pilot sport cups or r888s be considered by them as racing compounds (I know some people call them r compound despite the fact that they arent real racing tires)

as far as them requiring an instructor for your first few runs - is this a situation where Im going to have to let someone drive my car, and are these experienced older folks or young kids in college doing the "instructing?" Im not too comfortable letting anyone drive my car - but just thinking of letting some 18 year old in a 240sx drive my car (just because they went to more trackdaze events than I did) gives me a mini heart attack every time it pops in my head...

last question - where is a good place to find time trials and rallies/hillclimbs in the va/nc/md/wv area? It seems like the west coast is the only place they do those kinds of events (timed runs on closed off sections of country roads)...

thanks!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:06 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

el es tu, No club will place an instructor behind the steering wheel of your car unless you ask that instructor to drive your car; even then, many will decline because they don't want to be liable for any problems. Instruction is provided in the classroom and from the passenger seat. There are many clubs offering HPDE and Time Trials, e.g., National Auto Sport Association (NASA), Chin Motorsports, Trackdaze, SVT Cobra Mustang Club, Audi Club, THSCC, 10/10ths Motorsports, etc.

I'm not familiar with local "rallies/hillclimbs", but I'm sure there are forums that can provide local information for those types of events. If you're new to HPDE, you definitely want to use good street tires and avoid R compounds in HPDE 1 so you can learn 'car control' and hear the tires talk to you in the turns as you get faster. NASA and most other clubs have Instructor Clinics to ensure students receive safe and knowledgeable instructors vs. guys and gals with "just more track time".

Come on out and join us next year! I also track my '09 Mustang GT and prepared a "Guide for HPDE Beginners" that I hope you find helpful. Mike
Old 11-23-2011, 10:22 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 360 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
I almost went to this but had been dealing with noise issues that I wanted cleared out before taking the car to the track.

When I was reviewing their site I read something about new people not being able to run racing compound tires. Would the pilot sport cups or r888s be considered by them as racing compounds (I know some people call them r compound despite the fact that they arent real racing tires)

as far as them requiring an instructor for your first few runs - is this a situation where Im going to have to let someone drive my car, and are these experienced older folks or young kids in college doing the "instructing?" Im not too comfortable letting anyone drive my car - but just thinking of letting some 18 year old in a 240sx drive my car (just because they went to more trackdaze events than I did) gives me a mini heart attack every time it pops in my head...

last question - where is a good place to find time trials and rallies/hillclimbs in the va/nc/md/wv area? It seems like the west coast is the only place they do those kinds of events (timed runs on closed off sections of country roads)...

thanks!
THSCC - TarHeel Sports Car Club has time trials too.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:46 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Thanks for the information. It clears up a lot of the concerns I had!

While I dont have documented information on my experience, is there a way to show my skill level and get skipped to at least an intermediate group?
Old 11-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by el es tu
Thanks for the information. It clears up a lot of the concerns I had!

While I dont have documented information on my experience, is there a way to show my skill level and get skipped to at least an intermediate group?
All clubs require an instructor "check ride" if you're new to the club or HPDE to verify your driving skills before moving you to HPDE 2 or solo. NASA provides their drivers with a "Driver Log Book" so you can document your experience, lessons learned and instructor comments. You would be amazed at how many people "think" they know how to drive on a road course, and are quickly humbled by much faster drivers in much slower cars. You don't want to be this guy! LOL

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 11-23-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:35 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
All clubs require an instructor "check ride" if you're new to the club or HPDE to verify your driving skills before moving you to HPDE 2 or solo. NASA provides their drivers with a "Driver Log Book" so you can document your experience, lessons learned and instructor comments. You would be amazed at how many people "think" they know how to drive on a road course, and are quickly humbled by much faster drivers in much slower cars. You don't want to be this guy! LOL
more great info! I think Im going to want to join a few differnt clubs for next year.

I know what you mean by everyone thinking they can drive. Its as if the dmv gives licenses out like candy (as long as you know the rules and pay the fees, youre allowed to drive regardless of your ability to control the vehicle).

I like the idea of the logbooks it really lets you go back and see where you were and where you are going.

thanks again!

Last edited by el es tu; 11-23-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:58 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Just as a point to the slower car better driver scenario:
I instructed a student for a session at Road Atl last weekend.
He was driving a Volkswagon Rabbit with stock tires, automatic transmission.
Was gridded in front of a Viper, Corvette and a few other fast cars.
His comment "I'm going to get passed by everyone", nope, not if I can get you to keep it moving on the turns (thats what I was thinking), "We'll see" was my comment.
After observing for half a lap, I figured out he knew where he was going and just needed a little confidence on the turns and some small corrections to 5 and 7 because of the nature of his car. He got on it and followed my directions very well. We caught up to traffic twice and lost a little momentum at those points, otherwise He was staying ahead of the faster "straight" cars, they'd catch him at the end of a straight, but by turn 5 he was several seconds ahead. He did fantastic with the car he had, and by executing fairly well he was able to keep those fast cars behind him. We had a blast and I'll bet that grin isn't off his face yet!

Just remember "They are ALL momentum cars"!
Old 11-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

http://www.facebook.com/v/1386765982129

Exactly. This video is a few years old, but it's me in my old '93 Celica GT chasing a Corvette C6 around the Summit Point Shenandoah Circuit. I added some text for humor... nothing beats seat time and good instruction!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Track Daze: 14 & 15 November (Full and Grand Courses)!