C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

??? - 85 corvette - location of fuel pump relay

Old 11-07-2011, 02:41 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

Default ??? - 85 corvette - location of fuel pump relay

i don't have access to a FSM for an 85 corvette, so, can someone tell me where the fuel pump relay is located? trying to troubleshoot "zero" fuel pressure via long distance phone... TIA
Old 11-07-2011, 04:22 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

On the driver side firewall between the brake booster and the wiper motor. Can you hear the pump run when the key is first turned?
Old 11-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 699 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by cumbercr
On the driver side firewall between the brake booster and the wiper motor. Can you hear the pump run when the key is first turned?
no, he can't hear the fuel pump. sounds like he's not getting power to the pump itself. haven't heard today if the fuse is OK... i figure he would check the fuse and relay before looking to replace the pump itself. my money is on the pump, but i figure its better to do some electrical checks first. BTW, thanks for the reply...

Last edited by Joe C; 11-07-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:54 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If the car happens to have the 4+3 manual tranny, the OD relay is next to the fuel pump relay. Both relays are the same. I don't think the relay is very expensive; maybe $12-$15??

Also, check the wire harness at the fuel pump for voltage. The heavy black rubber boot around the filler neck has to be removed. Should be a tan/white wire.
Disconnect the wire and check for voltage but note that the pump will only run for a couple seconds once the ignition is turned to the ON position if the engine is not started with the key.

This tan wire comes from the fuse block. The FP fuse is a 10A and should be at the lower right corner of the block.

Power for this circuit comes from the fusible link H behind the battery.

Get notified of new replies

To ??? - 85 corvette - location of fuel pump relay

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ??? - 85 corvette - location of fuel pump relay