Northern California Northern California

New Go Kart Track in Santa Clara....K1 Speed & Groupon Deal

Old 11-04-2011, 12:19 PM
TPSMak
Supporting Vendor

Received 270 Likes on 204 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default New Go Kart Track in Santa Clara....K1 Speed & Groupon Deal

I just got a email from Groupon about a new Go Kart Track called K1 Speed.... looks like they have over 10 locations nationwide. Tracks look pretty good. I'm actually thinking of having my son's birthday party there since they allow kids below the age of 11.

Here's the link to the Groupon Deal
http://www.groupon.com/r/uu3765229

Here's a link to the company website
http://www.k1speed.com/

Here's the deal

Groupon: for $44, you get a race package at K1 Speed's new location in Santa Clara (up to a $91.90 value). The package includes:

Four Arrive & Drive races, which can be used by one or two people (up to an $80 value)
Annual race licenses for two people (an $11.90 value)
Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone #: 408/898-4632
Email #: MikeM@TPSMotorsports.com
Authorized dealer of Corbeau Seats, ECS Superchargers, Edelbrock SuperChargers, A&A Superchargers, Kooks, Whipple, Magnalow, Corsa, Borla. LG Motorsports, Procharger, Billy Boat Exhaust, AWE Exhaust, American Racing, TPS Brake Rotors/ Kits, Stainless Steel Brake Lines & much more...

Old 11-04-2011, 02:15 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got the same groupon ad.

As a veteran of Speed Ring (the previous business at K1 Speed's location) and Lemans Karting, I called Lemans and then K1, I spoke with employees of both places that have experience in both facilities and got their impressions on the difference between the two businesses. Here's what I got from them:

1. Karts are similar in performance with K1's cars having quicker acceleration but lower top speed, and K1's cars are quiet since they're electric. The quiet cars make the whole facility quieter.

2. K1's track surface has more grip than Lemans indoor, but less than Lemans outdoor tracks.

3. K1 has shorter sessions and you have to swap cars more frequently since the cars are electric.

4. K1's facility has a larger indoor track, but no outdoor track. The combined indoor/outdoor at Lemans is larger, but you don't always drive the combined track at Lemans.

5. K1's facility is newer, nicer, flashier (brand new).

6. K1 is geared more toward the general public and less toward enthusiasts. Lemans is generally geared toward the general public too, but they are enthusiasts themselves and are very friendly to people who are there more for the driving practice, as long as you don't act like a Jackalope and ram the regular people out of your way.

7. Overall, they are similar and you could have fun at either place.

I didn't ask about the kid/age aspect, but it makes sense that K1 allows kids in the karts earlier than Lemans does. If I recall, I think my son had to be 13 or 14 before he could drive at Lemans. He also had to attend a special training session on a Saturday before he could drive. K1 can get younger kids in the junior karts with less restriction and hassle. So K1 looks like its much more kid friendly.

Since I go to the karts only for the opportunity to work on my driving and keep my skills up, I think I'll probably keep going to Lemans, but everyone has different priorities and K1 might be better depending on what you're looking for.

Either way, its probably worth a visit to K1 to check it out and make your own comparison.

Dog

Last edited by meldog21; 11-04-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Exotica
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice write-up Mel. I saw the same Groupon in my inbox this morning and wondered about many of the things you just answered. Thanks, man.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:38 AM
blueray72
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by meldog21
=
I didn't ask about the kid/age aspect, but it makes sense that K1 allows kids in the karts earlier than Lemans does. If I recall, I think my son had to be 13 or 14 before he could drive at Lemans. He also had to attend a special training session on a Saturday before he could drive. K1 can get younger kids in the junior karts with less restriction and hassle. So K1 looks like its much more kid friendly.
very nice right up.

They're going by height...just like Driven Raceway.

It looks like they are using the same karts.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:59 PM
c5autoxracer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tpsmak
i just got a email from groupon about a new go kart track called k1 speed.... Looks like they have over 10 locations nationwide. Tracks look pretty good. I'm actually thinking of having my son's birthday party there since they allow kids below the age of 11.

Here's the link to the groupon deal
http://www.groupon.com/r/uu3765229

here's a link to the company website
http://www.k1speed.com/

here's the deal

groupon: For $44, you get a race package at k1 speed's new location in santa clara (up to a $91.90 value). The package includes:

Four arrive & drive races, which can be used by one or two people (up to an $80 value)
annual race licenses for two people (an $11.90 value)
so...
Old 11-18-2011, 12:46 PM
fleadh
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to K1 in Santa Clara last week with some co-workers to try it out. We normally go to Gokartracer every few months as a group to play around but wanted to try the new place.

Positives:
The facility is really nice.
The people working were pretty laid back.
You didn't have to put on those STUPID driving suits that serve no purpose except to make you look like an idiot and sweat a lot.

Negatives:
Only (short) lapping sessions, no actual racing.
The track was super simple.. it's flat out except for 1 corner-- even the "Yokohama" track at Gokartracer (their simple track i think) is more technical.
For how new the karts looked, I was really disappointed in them. I did 3 sessions, each in a different kart. The first one seemed fine. The second one had so much understeer I had to tap the brakes before almost every corner. The third one had a throttle that would stick for a second when you lifted and would then understeer on power horribly (as in you couldn't accelerate really until it was almost straight).
The must have brought them (used) from another K1 facility.
It seemed like every time someone spun or hit a wall at any point on the track they'd hit their "slow all button" that put all the karts at walking speed.. I understand that if people run out on track to help get the other guy going.. but it seemed like they did it every other lap.

Anyway.. since I live and work on the penninsula it's not worth the trip down 101 with Gokartracer so close.

-mike
Old 12-17-2011, 12:58 PM
0Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We try to go by one when we are in the Cali area. Great place, and it is co-owned by Lou's friend, Boris Said.

Get notified of new replies

To New Go Kart Track in Santa Clara....K1 Speed & Groupon Deal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Go Kart Track in Santa Clara....K1 Speed & Groupon Deal