C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 Convertible Top Frame

Old 10-21-2011, 01:11 AM
cohme
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 Convertible Top Frame

Hi All,

I have a 1963 Roadster that was missing the soft top when I bought it. It is a dual top car. I have the hard top, but I would like to buy a soft top. I noticed one is being listed for sale locally. It is off a 66 car. My question is, are there date codes or other indicators that would make it obvious the frame is not correct for my car?

Also, the top already has the vinyl top installed since it was pulled off a car which was later sold. Any comments about that? Would I be able to bolt it right on my car or am I over-simplifying? Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:36 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Originally Posted by cohme
Hi All,

I have a 1963 Roadster that was missing the soft top when I bought it. It is a dual top car. I have the hard top, but I would like to buy a soft top. I noticed one is being listed for sale locally. It is off a 66 car. My question is, are there date codes or other indicators that would make it obvious the frame is not correct for my car?

Also, the top already has the vinyl top installed since it was pulled off a car which was later sold. Any comments about that? Would I be able to bolt it right on my car or am I over-simplifying? Thanks in advance for your advice.
About the only difference would be the #2 bow - it was round on a '63, and rectangular on a '66 (only an Interior judge would notice it). It might fit fine on your car, or might need some adjustments - not a big deal.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,465 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

If you get the frame, before you have a shop put the new top on, adjust it first too the windows, header latches, and rear pins. Then have the new top installed. Make sure your new one includes pads. If you need weatherstriping, don't be surprised at the cost. The vinyl covered hardtop should bolt right on. Some people have two sets of front latches and some don't. It's up to you on that. A vinyl top was an option on '67 only. So it will depend on what you want too do with your car relative to the top. Dennis
Old 10-21-2011, 09:02 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 537 Likes on 350 Posts

Bluestreak has excellent advice. I have a round bow for a 63 if you want to take it that far. You would also need rivets.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:38 PM
cohme
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks!

Thanks all for the valuable info! I am trying to scrape the money together to buy the top.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:16 PM
Kerrmudgeon
Race Director

Received 4,583 Likes on 2,157 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C1 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I installed my 62's with the cover on it, and it was no problem, BUT make sure you get all the mounting stuff on both ends, and the reinforcement plates at the rear mounting locations if missing. (if there are those on a mid, i forget). The hardware is expensive to buy after the fact, and should reflect in the price accordingly.
I did mine myself, and it would have been a lot easier if you do it with a bud.

Get notified of new replies

To C2 Convertible Top Frame

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C2 Convertible Top Frame