Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] What Do you dont like about your Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 04:44 PM
ysb02
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Interior, who cares. I prefer a F40 type interior in a sports car. I bought it to drive, not pose with!

The seats aren't too great. Needs a lot more side bolster. Not a big fan of leather seats in a sport car since it's slide city on the corners.

Shifter isn't great but it's an cheap + easy fix that I've done on every t56 car I've known.

For the price they're hard to beat for road course cars (3000 lbs, 405+ hp with a good torque band). If you're into straight line racing I might look elsewhere though.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:53 AM
toyotabike
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock
EBCM, interior, stereo, overall fit and finish, cost to maintain in my first 2 months has been CRAZY expensive. I am at the point now that if the car doesn't become reliable and stop costing me money that I am going to regret having bought one and selling my immaculate and 100% reliable SRT8. I really didn't think that there was any way I could get a Vette with this many issues, this quickly.

Can you please share the problems you are having with the car and how long have you owned it?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:00 AM
toyotabike
Instructor

Originally Posted by zeevette
I actually like the interior. You can upgrade just about any part of it if it doesn't suit you, and for far less $$$ than other "Sports cars". I keep breaking, or modifying the drivetrain parts, so my car has become a 9 year long science project, and only has 17k miles. It's on stands now, waiting for me to(again) drop the rear cradle to replace my diff, and upgrade the trans. Getting a brace this time. None of my woes were the car's fault. If I would have left it stock, I would probably only bitch about the shifter.

WOW, sounds like a lot of work for a car with only 17k miles.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Grimlock
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotabike
Can you please share the problems you are having with the car and how long have you owned it?
New tires, alignment w/corner balancing, serpentine belt, a/c belt, water pump, replaced every fluid in the car, bleed brakes, steering lock, EBCM failed, and now replacing the valve springs. I've owned the car around 2 months. The above cost me well over $4,000, granted about $500 or so of that is due to damage to the EBCM harness that I will be repairing next week.

Last edited by Grimlock; 10-14-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:08 AM
Seraphus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EBCM, interior, stereo, overall fit and finish, cost to maintain in my first 2 months has been CRAZY expensive. I am at the point now that if the car doesn't become reliable and stop costing me money that I am going to regret having bought one and selling my immaculate and 100% reliable SRT8. I really didn't think that there was any way I could get a Vette with this many issues, this quickly.
Ditto, I'm in the same boat you are.

I pretty much hate the entire drive train on this thing. I'm rebuilding the trans, new clutch, new slave, and now have column lock issue so gotta get the bypass. I'm very close to wishing I bought a . . . Cobra (yea I said it).
Old 10-14-2011, 09:08 AM
81c3
Le Mans Master

Received 615 Likes on 431 Posts

Wow.... I guess some of these cars are lemons ??? Ive owned two, both 2002 Z's. Neither have had any of these issues... I can honestly say there was only one real failure for me so far and that was the steering wheel position sensor failure on my present MY car. I think it was around $85. and an hour and a half or so of my time to fix.

The car responds nicely to modifications and has been extremely reliable. On top of that it gets excellent fuel milage (18 city, up to 28 hwy) for the 470 crank horse power it delivers.... I have no real qualms with my Z.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I don't think a 10 year old car can be a lemon.....It's a USED car....Things wear out and break on ALL cars. The C5 is no spring chicken, get over it. It's old tech, old styling. You are comparing it to new Mustangs and Hyundais? Compare it to 2001 models and see how it stacks up. 2001 Mustang is a huge POS, just like most 2001s out there.

Relatively speaking, my C5Z is holding up very well except for the things I have done to ruin it (things that come along with 725rwhp)....
Old 10-14-2011, 10:18 AM
purple_motion
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- Climate control sucks (I got my car used but the buttons seem sticky and annoying to use... I just open the windows and avoid using it
- Lack of transmission cooler kinda sucks for track use. It is a "track ready" car that overheats in 5 laps. That is with me driving, who is not a race driver by any means so I am not pushing the car to its limits.
- Sticky clutch. I don't do much high performance driving but when I do the sticky clutch is another annoying problem (I do use the Ranger method when I remember!)
Old 10-14-2011, 10:31 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I'm not a fan of pop-up headlights and like others have said,to be a hi-perf car,the seats SUCK!!

\db2
carolina
Old 10-14-2011, 11:16 AM
toyotabike
Instructor

New tires, alignment w/corner balancing, serpentine belt, a/c belt, water pump, replaced every fluid in the car, bleed brakes, steering lock, EBCM failed, and now replacing the valve springs. I've owned the car around 2 months. The above cost me well over $4,000, granted about $500 or so of that is due to damage to the EBCM harness that I will be repairing next week.

sorry, about your car troubles. Did you buy from a local dealer, or on craigslist?
Old 10-14-2011, 11:19 AM
toyotabike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Seraphus
Ditto, I'm in the same boat you are.

I pretty much hate the entire drive train on this thing. I'm rebuilding the trans, new clutch, new slave, and now have column lock issue so gotta get the bypass. I'm very close to wishing I bought a . . . Cobra (yea I said it).

LOL. Are you referring to the termi cobras or the new GT500 cobras?
Old 10-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Devoz
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having to reach so far for the steering wheel, I like them alot closer, and the seats. Both curable items. No clutch problems thanks to Ranger's tips, but I wish it had a better feel for engagement.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:11 PM
kilingiros
Advanced

Melts in the Rain/Snow
Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

sorry, about your car troubles. Did you buy from a local dealer, or on craigslist?
I bought it from a local Corvette club member.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:57 PM
pluslt
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the most part I really like the car. My only minor complaint would be the complete loss of view of the road when putting the sunvisor down. I do it quickly but its still unearving to me.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:59 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,233 Likes on 1,589 Posts

Originally Posted by ysb02
Interior, who cares.
98% of the people who bought the car.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Seraphus
Instructor

LOL. Are you referring to the termi cobras or the new GT500 cobras?
Terminators 03/04

Get notified of new replies

To What Do you dont like about your Z06

Old 10-14-2011, 04:01 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

WOW, sounds like a lot of work for a car with only 17k miles.
True, but it's only a weekend/summer car, and I have three other vehicles to choose as DDs. The only things that've broken are due to my modifications, so I don't blame GM. I've become a bit of a mod junky, and when certain aftermarket performance mods go on sale; I cave in, and buy them, even though I rarely use the added power. It's really a hobby, and fun, too, when you do your own wrenching. I heard the comments from people that've had multiple problems, but the guy who wishes he had a old blown Mustang would change his tune if he had to live with their shortcomings. I had an '01 Cobra, and drove the '03s when they were out, and a Corvette. No contest for driving/looks/performance. I plan on keeping my Z forever.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:12 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

for those with so many negative comments,my question to you is why did you buy the car if it is such a piece of crap in your opinion....nobody has a better package for such a cheap price. me, i like my car fine and can live without complaint on minor flaws which EVERY car has regardless of price of maker of car. my 2 cents
Old 10-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Originally Posted by LT1driver
for those with so many negative comments,my question to you is why did you buy the car if it is such a piece of crap in your opinion....nobody has a better package for such a cheap price. me, i like my car fine and can live without complaint on minor flaws which EVERY car has regardless of price of maker of car. my 2 cents
That's exactly why I bought mine. The interior still sucks monkey ***** though. And I didn't expect all the mechanical problems. I though the Z06 was supposed to be mostly "bulletproof", yet I am having tons of issues. Spending over $4K in just two months of ownership is too high. I expected to spend around $2K, but $4K is just way higher than expected. I am hoping that once these things are sorted out, the car will indeed be bulletproof....yet I think the clutch is going to need to be done. So who knows how much more that is going to cost me. Very frustrating since I had the car checked by Rick at Synergy Motorsports before buying it, and he said it was in immaculate shape with the only issue he mentioned was a slightly work serpentine belt. So to go from that to over $4K is annoying.

Last edited by Grimlock; 10-14-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] What Do you dont like about your Z06