C6 Scan & Tune Onboard Diagnostics, Service Advice, Dyno Tuning, and Fuel Management for the Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no cats ---------> highflow cats. Retune?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 PM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default no cats ---------> highflow cats. Retune?

So I have finally had enough of the smell. I'm going to intstall highflow kooks cats tomorrow. Do I need a retune right away? I plan on going to Chicago in the spring for a tune, can it wait?
My car: Forged LS2 with ECS supercharger, blower cam and Kooks headers

thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 09:43 PM
ODE-Z
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I just got a large cam, milled heads, a valve job, and headers in my Z got the cats with the headers so the car was tuned that way. As soon as i get the car I am umm having a magician play with my car and i believe the cats will wind up empty haha. but I wanted the canisters there for umm sound you know Anyways my tuner says that I do not have to worry about a retune when that happens.

I believe that because before I had an 06 gto that i did the same thing too with the same tuner then drove 3.5 hours to have the tune checked since i went from cats to no cats. I picked up like 6-8hp and he didnt have to touch the tune so in that respect I say you are fine however i dont know if FI changes the equation.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 AM
knyght4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say no need for a tune if adding cats.

Also, have you thought about adding meth to your setup. I think it can reduce the smell somewhat. My father had this done to his some time back.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:26 PM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by knyght4
I would say no need for a tune if adding cats.

Also, have you thought about adding meth to your setup. I think it can reduce the smell somewhat. My father had this done to his some time back.
I am adding meth with the tune this coming spring. I did add the kooks cats and all is good. I know it was a little silly to ask, but I have had enough "fun" with this car. found a ton of threads about taking the cats off, but none about adding them.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:07 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Yeah the smell is why ill never run a car with no cats again. It permeates everything

Get notified of new replies

To no cats ---------> highflow cats. Retune?

Quick Reply: no cats ---------> highflow cats. Retune?