Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Lords of the Ring....ZR1/Z06 Nurburgring interview

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 10:34 AM
LB
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Here is the ZR1 and LFA overlay on the ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L02cJmp7zFs

The LFA does start to pull away in the last half of the video. My one big question:

Supercharger heat soak?!?!?!
WOW ... After watching that I have a new found respect for the LFA
Old 09-18-2011, 11:13 AM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
But you missed the most important point.
I DON"T CARE.

Oh, and it is LOSE

I really just liked the video and sometimes the finger don't alway type what they are told to type.

Besides, like a lot of us I think we buy are vehicles simply because WE like them and doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
Hopefully this doesn't infringe on a copy right, but here's the entire article scanned from the magazine.

I really enjoyed reading the article, thanks a lot for posting!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:43 AM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, thanks for posting that article!
Old 09-18-2011, 08:03 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Huh?

On one hand they said budjet restraints dictated how they went about things, but, didn't mention money when they explained why they didn't use a race driver? I'm guessing it did play a role!

Heck, all the more reason for someone to set a ZR1 up, and give it that extra downforce for a race driver, just like those other guys(The Mclaren F1s time was 7:11 I beleave!)!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 09-19-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:37 AM
FNBADAZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 634 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Ronald
I really enjoyed reading the article, thanks a lot for posting!
You're welcome
I think it shines some light on the mindset and goals of the Corvette team, and enlighten's us to some of the decisions they've made when engineering and testing the car.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by FNBADAZ06
You're welcome
I think it shines some light on the mindset and goals of the Corvette team, and enlighten's us to some of the decisions they've made when engineering and testing the car.
Absolutely! And that's exactly the added value of it, clarifying the things that I always wanted to know.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:27 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As impressive as the LFA IS, MOtortrend rated the Z06 Z07 model as the better drivers car. Somthing about ride quality...and the nervous feel at the limit. Funny how the Z06 was known for those same characteristics until the Magnetic suspension and better tires were added.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:00 PM
911/Q45
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hooked on Driving always has my car and one or two other ZR1s at all our events. I don't think ZR1 owners are as price sensitive, which may be why your discount didn't attract them

Last edited by Allthrottleandsomebottle; 09-21-2011 at 07:01 AM. Reason: na
Old 09-20-2011, 03:55 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,791 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by 911/Q45
Hooked on Driving always has my car and one or two other ZR1s at all our events.
Well, you don't count because you don't shuffle steer. So there.

jas
Old 09-20-2011, 08:53 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Inference!

Getting back to the article, the whole thing was better then 2008, for sure. The VID had explanation, and the driving was tighter, for sure.
But, I'm not contradicting anyone if I bring up that in 2008 when Magnussen was brought in, and given time$ they achieved four seconds. The new time with that bump.... Exciting!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 09-21-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:00 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

Enough of the pizzing contest.........Keep the thread on track, feel free to start another thread in other cars comparing this to that. If anyone has questions, pm or e-mail me......a rule
Steve
Old 09-22-2011, 04:44 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default I lost you?

Originally Posted by Racer
Ah, I think it has been proven that in a Corvette Mero is faster than Jan around the Ring.
No more points?

Old 09-23-2011, 08:29 AM
vette friend
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

But, I'm not contradicting anyone if I bring up that in 2008 when Magnussen was brought in, and given time$ they achieved four seconds. The new time with that bump.... Exciting!
Tadge has said several times that lap never happened. Complete fiction.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:53 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Jan's Fast!

Originally Posted by vette friend
Tadge has said several times that lap never happened. Complete fiction.
Yes and it didn't get posted in records, certainly not anything official. I originally wasn't referring to that time when I brought up Magnussen. I googled it here. I had only recalled and compared both Mero's and Magnussen's VIDs and recall everyone being blown away by Mags VID which came later. I was surprised, street tires and a passenger? I know he may have creamed several cars to make it.

Anyway, there was another record run with a transaxle at the ring with relative to less than race car aero. It was with their test driver, as well! I think there is some stuff about that run being bogus, as well.

I always believe half of what I read and all of what I see!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 09-23-2011 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Leonie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Another run of a "stock" Vette with Sparco seats as "safety equipment".

No, seriously, several users in the german forum - who regularly drive on the Ring - already scratched their heads if / how Jim Mero could achieve these times with the stock seats, now this question is answered.

...and the records (even if already surpassed) show some light flaw again.

Best, Bernd
Old 09-25-2011, 11:40 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,791 Likes on 1,140 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Leonie
Another run of a "stock" Vette with Sparco seats as "safety equipment".
GM's corporate insurance requires that cars that are run like that on a track must be properly fitted with harnesses and fire suppression. It's not "safety gear" it's really safety gear. If he weren't required to wear a harness, it's likely he wouldn't have had that seat in the car.

jas

Get notified of new replies

To Lords of the Ring....ZR1/Z06 Nurburgring interview

Old 09-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Leonie
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, it might be "likely" he may have tried with the stock seats without these GM corporate insurance issues.

Still:

1. other manufacturers take their cars to the ring as you can buy them at the dealer, aka stock

2. as I said, Corvette owners who drive their Vettes on the Ring regularly - and tried with the stock seats before upgrading - seriously doubt one could achieve these times while having to press his knees against the console / door and not being 100% focused on driving in the consequence

3. personally, I have been on the Ring, unfortunately not with my C5 (the SLP Loudmouth is too loud), but I know the track, and I know the stock seats, and I fully agree with the doubts of point 2...

And so, I can say the records have a flaw in my book - unfortunately as I have to say as a Corvette enthusiast!

Best, Bernd
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Leonie
Ok, it might be "likely" he may have tried with the stock seats without these GM corporate insurance issues.

Still:

1. other manufacturers take their cars to the ring as you can buy them at the dealer, aka stock

2. as I said, Corvette owners who drive their Vettes on the Ring regularly - and tried with the stock seats before upgrading - seriously doubt one could achieve these times while having to press his knees against the console / door and not being 100% focused on driving in the consequence

3. personally, I have been on the Ring, unfortunately not with my C5 (the SLP Loudmouth is too loud), but I know the track, and I know the stock seats, and I fully agree with the doubts of point 2...

And so, I can say the records have a flaw in my book - unfortunately as I have to say as a Corvette enthusiast!

Best, Bernd

They should have got themselves fired adding extra SPECIAL "No Profit" part options!

Thanks again, as I think we can see why GM hasn't done an ACR...

Old 09-26-2011, 01:31 PM
vette friend
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Still:

I suspect Mero has a wife and kids. He was there for 2 weeks running at or near the limit. He has over 1400 laps total. Running that long and that hard without proper safety equipment (including a Hans which is required for all GM track test vehicles) in some folks opinion may be balzy, but in my opinion constitutes stupidity. As awesome as his job is, I suspect he wouldn't want to leave a family behind because he didn't utilize all the safety equipment reasonably available to him. It might be OK for many laps, but there is a law of averages. And again, we're talking about the "Green Hell". Arguably one of the fastest and probably the most dangerous race track in the world.

I have no issue with him using safety gear.

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Lords of the Ring....ZR1/Z06 Nurburgring interview