C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1985 Corvette Engine Stalls

Old 09-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Captain Corona
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 Corvette Engine Stalls

My 1985 Covette stalls when I turn left.It only happens at running temp and only the engine dies.Electrical is not interupted.Then you have to wait about 15 minutes before it will restart.I just bought the car about a year ago.Has anyone ever experienced this?
Old 09-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

That's an interesting problem...

In a situation like this you need to fall back to the basics: fuel and spark. One of those is going away when you turn left.

I recommend connecting a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and mounting it so you can see it from the driver's seat. I like to tape stuff to my windshield wipers for a test like this. Check the pressure while turning left. Maybe you could do donuts in a parking lot... ;-)

Checking spark while driving is a little more difficult... My first attempt would be to disconnect the timing connector next to the brake booster (tan wire with black stripe). That will bypass the spark control from the ECM. Your timing will be stuck at 6 degrees, but at least you could eliminate the ECM and associated wiring, etc.

DON'T DO BOTH OF THESE AT THE SAME TIME!!!!!!! One of the most basic rules of troubleshooting is to change ONE thing at a time and see what happens. If you change multiple things then you can't be sure which one fixed/modified the problem. The same rule applies when replacing parts in an attempt to fix a problem. ONE at a time.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Big Daddy James
Intermediate

I would recommend going around and checking for vacuum leaks as well. If you have an engine scanner, hook it up and see if there are any codes stored in the car.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Captain Corona
3rd Gear

Default Engine Stalls

Wow

Thanks Cliff
At least I know a direction to go in..I'll try it and let ya know...Thanks for the help!!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:05 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Whats the fuel level when this happens?
Low fuel levels are often responsible for windage issues in Vettes...There is a way to end the problem if windage is causing it to stall..

Look INSIDE the distributer...The wires to the module inside the cap are very EASY to get pinched and break the insulation. As you make a turn it can ground and kill the ign. The module heats up...won;t fire again till it cools off. Seen it, done that, been there.

Idle the engine and reach back behind the dist and grab the wire harness and wiggle it around...see if that duplicates the stalling. Do the same with other harness under the hood. Look closely at the bulkhead seal behind the passenger side valve cover.

While you teast drive with the fuel pressure gauge, IF it drops pressure in the turn, then the windage/starvation is the problem. If it maintains pressure and the eng stalls as if the ign were cut, proceed to the dist and ign wires.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:31 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Corona
Then you have to wait about 15 minutes before it will restart.?
Does it crank over during the 15 minutes, or not at all during the 15 minutes ?

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 Corvette Engine Stalls

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1985 Corvette Engine Stalls