Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding Brakes with Power Bleeder

Old 07-11-2011, 12:06 AM
71SoCal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bleeding Brakes with Power Bleeder

I replaced the brake pads on my '71 last week, and must have let a little air get into the system, so this weekend, I broke out my old Motive power bleeder to get the air out.

It was a very frustrating experience. I've used the bleeder in the past with moderate success, but today was especially difficult. For those who are familiar with this bleeder, I used the flat, rectangular pancake looking master cylinder adapter.

I’m not sure what went wrong. I ran the chain below the master cylinder and equally tightened the wing nuts (and had them cranked). I started pumping the bottle, and after about ten pumps, fluid started spraying from the back of the cylinder. By the time I got the pressure off of the bottle, I had brake fluid dripping everywhere.

I pulled myself back from total rage, calmly removed everything from the master cylinder, then I carried all of the pieces of the bleeder to the trash can. It felt good to get rid of it.

A couple of hours later, I went back out to the trash can and pulled everything back out.

My question is why is this so difficult? I remember when I used it a couple of years ago, I had to play with it, and really crack down the bolts to get it to hold.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Just use some large jaw vice grips or clamps to hold the cover.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:03 AM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

I agree, throw just the chains away! When you crank the chain tight you flex the cover.

Use some clamps, one over each compartment, and pressure test it empty first. Sometimes you'll even need to loosen the clamps to get a good seal. When it holds pressure, THEN add the fluid.

Some guys like to NOT put any fluid in the container and constantly undo everything to check the master fluid level, but I feel that just defeats the purpose of the bleeder.

Last edited by KapsSA; 07-11-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:19 AM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by noonie
Just use some large jaw vice grips or clamps to hold the cover.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:22 AM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

The chains are junk due to flexing of the nylon plate.Large c clamp and a block of wood on top to distribute the clamping force.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:24 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Block of wood and a C-Clamp is what I use. The chains are crap.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:20 PM
mar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one but have not used it yet. I did notice that the chain idea is trash. I plan to use a c-clamp. Anybody out there like their pressure bleeder?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 PM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I made my own and held it down with some big c-clamps:

However unlike the professional power bleeder that has a container full of fluid, I only had my master cylinder full. So I could only drain so much before I had to stop and make sure I wasn't getting too close to empty. Was it a complete 100% seal, no, but it was just air escaping so no brake fluid to squirt around unless I filled the MC too high. It only took a minute or so to take everything off or put back on and hook up my 10psi air supply from my compressor.

If I hadn't bought a mighty vac to try and do the brake job and wasted $40 on it, I would have bought the correct tool (power bleeder) for the $90 or so. In building mine I saved some $, not a bunch.

Jeff

Last edited by StingrayLust; 07-11-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 PM
rugerm44
Burning Brakes

It's ok just don't put dot 5 in it and pump it up.I just use for an air source to bleed by one person.Seems like it agitates the dot 5 fluid and causes air bubbles to form.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:49 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

I used mine with the power bleeder tank empty and did as others suggested, in using a block of wood and clamps to hold the seal. My car also has DOT 5 fluid and it worked great. Yes I had to undo the clamps several times to check the master cylinder level, but knowing the Vette is the rare car I would bleed with DOT 5, i didn't want to fill the power bleeder with it, figuring if anything I'd fill it with DOT 3 for other vehicles. Basically I don't want to have to clean DOT 5 out to fill with DOT 3, it seems like too much trouble to me.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:13 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

As most of the folks above have already said, use a block of wood (I use a 2X4) and a clamp instead of the chains.

Also, I don't like to have fluid in the pressure bleeder. I just use it to pressurize air. The down side is that you have to be vigilant about keeping the master cylinder filled with fluid. I use a bleeder cup that I know is smaller than the M/C. The upside is that you never have to worry about spewing fluid ever again. Big upside.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i like my motive pressure bleeder and use it with no fluid just air i use c clamps....didnt need any wood.

stingray lust ...that looks good what is in between the 90* L and the cap with holes in it? what do you call that cap? it looks like you used a round neoprene ring washer in betwen them, is that all you need for the seal?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:51 AM
StingrayLust
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
stingray lust ...that looks good what is in between the 90* L and the cap with holes in it? what do you call that cap? it looks like you used a round neoprene ring washer in betwen them, is that all you need for the seal?
The center is the air inlet (obviously) that goes to the T. The T goes to the elbows which are sitting atop a piece of plexiglass. Then some rubber washers before my thick piece of metal. The elbows have a small extension piece that goes through the plexi, washer, some foam, metal plate for stiffness, another rubber washer, and the cap finishes it off. I drilled the holes in the cap myself.

The finished solution was never intended to hold a perfect seal, just get enough pressure to push the brake fluid through. In the end, Mityvac=0, my own power bleeder=1.

It wasn't dirt cheap, maybe $40, all from Home Depot and ready in 2 hours. As I said, if I knew from the start that the power bleeder was the way to go, I wouldn't have spent money on the mityvac and then try to save ($) face by building my own version of the power bleeder later.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:26 PM
71SoCal
Racer

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'm going to use clamps and a block of wood. I'm also going to keep the bottle empty. I'd rather keep re-checking the m/c fluid level than risk another spill.

As far as using Dot 5 fluid, I read that it has a higher heat rating, but are there other reasons for switching over? I also read that without proper flushing of the Dot 3 before use, the seals can be damaged.

I'm pretty easy on my car, so I assume I'm fine staying with Dot 3.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:26 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by StingrayLust
atop a piece of plexiglass. Then some rubber washers before my thick piece of metal. The elbows have a small extension piece that goes through the plexi, washer, some foam, metal plate for stiffness, another rubber washer, and the cap finishes it off. I drilled the holes in the cap myself.

thks i am going to make one for fun, what is the purpose of the plexiglass , the extension piece is just threaded brass cut to size? size of the holes in the cap 3/64? thks bob
Old 07-14-2011, 05:54 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

1//2" alum with a slot milled (or ground), 1 hole with a 3/8" hose nipple.
Strong enough not to flex and leak when clamped.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:26 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Noonie,how do you seal that ? If you put a solid piece of rubber on doesn't that put the fluid slot on top of the rubber seal ?
Originally Posted by noonie

Get notified of new replies

To Bleeding Brakes with Power Bleeder

Old 07-14-2011, 09:35 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

This is mine from an old EIS bleeder. I also use a big c clamp , no block of wood because this one is thick steel.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:36 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Napa has some.
https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...006401570&An=0
Old 07-14-2011, 09:56 AM
tonak
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience with the motive pressure bleeder was similar to the op's and it went back in a box on a shelf immediately. I did use a clamp and 2x4 with lousy results, which leaves me wondering why the manufacturer doesn't correct the adaptor issues themselves. Anyway, is the NAPA adaptor a better way to go ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bleeding Brakes with Power Bleeder