C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

If ignition switch is bad, can you push start a car?

Old 04-25-2002, 02:11 PM
ZZZASY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If ignition switch is bad, can you push start a car?

Hi all, I posted a couple of days ago about my car not turning over or doing anything. The response I got back was its either the ignition switch, starter, or theft deterrent. My question is, if it was the ignition switch, I wouldn't be able to turn the ignition on and push start the car would I. If it was the switch, wouldn't it not get current to run?

TIA

Curtis
96 LT4
Old 04-25-2002, 02:19 PM
a851yy07
Melting Slicks

Default Re: If ignition switch is bad, can you push start a car? (ZZZASY)

If it is a manual transmission and when you turn the key to the on position everything that is supposed to come on comes on then theoreticly you should be able to push start the car. I hope you have a lot of help and a steep hill as well.
Old 04-25-2002, 02:22 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

Yes and no. You can, but the neutral safety switch on your clutch pedal is going to stop you from doing it.
Old 04-25-2002, 02:25 PM
91mongoose
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: If ignition switch is bad, can you push start a car? (a851yy07)

Push starting is not hard to do. I've done it with my wife driving plenty of times. If your dash lights up when you turn the ignition to on push starting may work. If VATS (anti-theft) is the problem, I think you're still out of luck because that kills the ignition as well as the starter (I think, wouldn't be much of an anti theft if all they had to do was push start it :D)

The key to push starting is to use 2nd gear, 1st gear tries to turn the motor over too fast causing the car to slow to a stop almost immediately. Make sure you are wearing tennis shoes or the like, push starting with leather soles doesn't work well :). You have to have an manual tranny, an automatic won't push start, but since you have an LT4 you have a stick so you're good to go.

[Modified by 91mongoose, 1:05 PM 4/25/2002]
Old 04-25-2002, 02:26 PM
91mongoose
Melting Slicks

Default Re: (scorp508)

Yes and no. You can, but the neutral safety switch on your clutch pedal is going to stop you from doing it.
The safety switch only interrupts the starter circuit, not the ignition, so it won't have any effect. Been there, done that :)
Old 04-25-2002, 02:32 PM
ZylaRace
Drifting

Default Re: (91mongoose)

Scorp,.. What were you thinking? :rolleyes: :nono:
Old 04-25-2002, 02:37 PM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

The safety switch only interrupts the starter circuit, not the ignition, so it won't have any effect. Been there, done that :)
DOH!!! :D It's the little things that get ya. :jester
Old 04-25-2002, 04:00 PM
ZZZASY
Instructor

Hey guys got your responses, but you are missing the point. I have already push started so I know that works. My question is could I push start it with a bad switch. I'm trying to rule out some of my problem options. I disconnected the battery last night to let it sit for 12 hours to see if its the theft deterrent system. My thought is, if I let it sit with no juice for that long, everything should reset, including the theft deterrent. I will reconnect the battery when I get home today. If it still doesn't do anything (I mean no whining at the starter); I think that pretty much rules out the theft deterrent which will leave me with the switch and starter. If I cannot push start with a bad switch, then that would rule out the switch and I can look into investing in a new starter. Just trying to eliminate items from the three potential problem areas I've been given.

TIA

Curtis
96 LT4
Old 04-25-2002, 05:06 PM
Black87c4
Pro

I'm thinking bad starter solenoid.
Old 04-25-2002, 08:24 PM
91mongoose
Melting Slicks

If you can get to the starter solenoid, with the car in neutral and the parking brake set (VERY IMPORTANT!!!) you can short across the two terminals with a screw driver and see if the starter kicks over. If it does, switch, if not, starter.

Perhaps easier and certainly less dangerous is to remove the starter from the car and take it to your local auto parts store and have them test it. Push starting does not vindicate the switch since the start pole is never used and may be the part thats bad.
Old 04-26-2002, 12:58 AM
Steve85
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Yes and No, if the switch contacts at the start position we're bad and the contacts in the run position were good, you would be able to push start a car with a bad ignition switch. However if the switch contacts in the run position were bad, you would not be able to push start, your fuel pump wouldn't run nor would your ignition system fire.

I can tell you that starters crap out far more frequently than ignition switches.

Try the loud wrench on the starter test. With a helper turning the key to start, tap the starter solenoid with a hammer. If the solenoid releases and the starter turns over, go buy a starter
Old 04-26-2002, 10:34 AM
91mongoose
Melting Slicks

Default Re: If ignition switch is bad, can you push start a car? (91mongoose)

What about that clutch saftey switch? That would cause the same problems, and it wasn't menitioned as a possible candidate. You can bypass it with a jumper wire and see if it cranks then.

Get notified of new replies

To If ignition switch is bad, can you push start a car?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: If ignition switch is bad, can you push start a car?