C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pop rivets or SS bolts for Body brackets?

Old 06-17-2011, 11:14 AM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Pop rivets or SS bolts for Body brackets?

I have the #4 body bracket and, the seat belts, and the rock deflector brackets to secure to the fiberglass on my 69.

I'm not going to use the original solid rivits as I don't want to order them, get the special tool and deal with all that.

I saw a thread somewhere that I can't find now where they used pop rivets and washers in place of the solid rivets. But I can't remember what size rivet was used and all the details needed.

But then I also saw that a bunch of people were using SS bolts with lock washers in place of the rivet. Didn't know what size they used there and if that was preferred as it's easy?
Old 06-17-2011, 11:16 AM
mar
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Bair's Corvette in PA and ask: 800-421-9644
Old 06-17-2011, 01:28 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

If you use pop or blind rivets, the OEM rivet shanks are 3/16". For pop rivets be sure to use 1/2" diameter heads and those go against the fiberglass side, not the bracket side.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 PM
PUNISHER VETTE
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought SS pop rivets but I think i'm going to go back to the store for some SS bolts/nuts. At least for the #4 body mount...

Those rivets are just a HUGE pain to get into place with the washers and the space you have to try and get the tool in there to pop them is limited.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:32 PM
MyRed69
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not quite the body mount (but I used them there too) Fastenal buttonhead stainless screws with nylock nuts. Used some heavy duty sealant between the body and mounts too.

Get notified of new replies

To Pop rivets or SS bolts for Body brackets?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pop rivets or SS bolts for Body brackets?