C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 loose side mirror

Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 AM
andy carroll
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1972 loose side mirror

my side mirror moves when i shut the door. i do not see any screws to adjust. how do i tighten.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:34 AM
69 Chevy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What moves, the base or the mirror head? There is a set screw to tighten on the outboard of the base. As for the ball socket of the mirror head, I have used super glue. Some folks suggest a sort of make shift knurl on the ball using a punch and hammer. I've tried using a spring-load center punch but it didn't stay tight for very long.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:47 AM
andy carroll
7th Gear

the mirror head moves. i will try the super glue
Old 06-05-2011, 01:28 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you use 'super glue', you will only be able to position it once. The correct fix is to soak the mirror head in mineral spirits or gasoline overnight to dislodge the mirror face; make a couple of thin, "U"-shaped sheet metal shims to stick under the swedged [rivet] heads holding the upper head body to the lower pedestal...which will tighten up the fit; then use RTV to bond the mirror glass back on.
The following users liked this post:
bosco1 (12-26-2018)
Old 06-25-2011, 06:05 PM
zigvs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is this the only way to fix this?
Old 06-25-2011, 07:13 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If you use 'super glue', you will only be able to position it once. The correct fix is to soak the mirror head in mineral spirits or gasoline overnight to dislodge the mirror face; make a couple of thin, "U"-shaped sheet metal shims to stick under the swedged [rivet] heads holding the upper head body to the lower pedestal...which will tighten up the fit; then use RTV to bond the mirror glass back on.
It's the only RIGHT way...
Old 06-26-2011, 04:28 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by birdsmith
It's the only RIGHT way...
Also, put JB Weld over the rivets when finished with the shim.
Worked for me.

A search will show same fix.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 PM
Driftwood
Racer

Default Same problem with both mirrors on 69

I have same problem with both side mirrors. Hit a decent bump in the road, and they both fall down. Too bad there aren't a couple of small screws on the back of the mirror to adjust the tightness of the mirror against the ball.

I was actually considering putting thick grease or maybe vasoline on the ball to see if it stiffened up the motion. But since no one else mentioned something like that, I'm thinking that probably wouldn't work.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:17 PM
ja1724
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '12

A new one will certainly fix it. At least for a few years.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:55 PM
spinadog
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Driftwood
I have same problem with both side mirrors. Hit a decent bump in the road, and they both fall down. Too bad there aren't a couple of small screws on the back of the mirror to adjust the tightness of the mirror against the ball.

I was actually considering putting thick grease or maybe vasoline on the ball to see if it stiffened up the motion. But since no one else mentioned something like that, I'm thinking that probably wouldn't work.
Grease or Vaseline will just make them fall smoooothly....

Old 07-16-2011, 11:14 AM
LarryTC6
Cruising

I have the same problem, but I was thinking about adding red loctite on the ball of the mirror. I figure if loctite keeps the bolts from coming off my Harley, maybe it will hold the mirror. Anyone every try it?

Larry
Old 07-16-2011, 01:47 PM
birdsmith
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ja1724
A new one will certainly fix it. At least for a few years.
When I replaced mine with a $59.95 "new" one it drooped just like the old one. I screwed around w/ JB Weld, etc. until I finally got sick of the problem. These cars are already too hard to see out of without being able to put the mirrors where you want them. I soaked mine in lacquer thinner, then re-bent the little spring inside it to hold the ball more tightly. They are FIXED and they won't come un-fixed.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:58 AM
knockbill
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryTC6
I have the same problem, but I was thinking about adding red loctite on the ball of the mirror. I figure if loctite keeps the bolts from coming off my Harley, maybe it will hold the mirror. Anyone every try it?

Larry
i have,, it didn't last long,,,,, i ended up removing the mirror (soaking in gas), and drilling out and tapping for screws (4-40),in place of teh rivits,,, should be the last time i work on teh mirror...
Old 07-17-2011, 09:42 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

The mirrors on these cars were designed to last about 5-10 years....not 50. Just remember that you are being a mechanic for a "geriatric" vehicle, and cut it a little slack. If a loose mirror is going to put you in a tither, how will you respond to a 'finicky' fuel gauge?

Such is the life of a C3 owner....
Old 07-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Farmdawg
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The mirrors on these cars were designed to last about 5-10 years....not 50. Just remember that you are being a mechanic for a "geriatric" vehicle, and cut it a little slack. If a loose mirror is going to put you in a tither, how will you respond to a 'finicky' fuel gauge?

Old 07-17-2011, 05:09 PM
LarryTC6
Cruising

I agree.

BTW, I can't get over how much your car looks like mine. Except for the fact you have a '71 (with clear lights) and I have a '72 (with amber), they could be twins!

Larry
Old 07-17-2011, 07:56 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Well, brothers, anyway.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:13 AM
ryanmh
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For the sake of those using Google to search for a fix for a loose Corvette side mirror, I'm going to post a quick testimonial for the superglue method (and yes, I realize this is an old thread, but Google loves it...)

The super glue trick can work like MAGIC. I was going to soak the mirror, but thought, "Well, for a $.50 tube of glue, why not?". I put one drop on the ball, worked the mirror around continuously while it dried, applied one more drop, worked it around, and then adjusted it. It holds very well, and is still adjustable. My guess is that if you worked the ball and socket heavily, it might come back off and you would have to re-do.

For mirrors that are just a little sloppy, the superglue trick is a godsend. Try this first, THEN soak your mirror.

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 loose side mirror

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1972 loose side mirror