C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what do i use to install the rivets for the under body insulation clips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 05:24 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default what do i use to install the rivets for the under body insulation clips?

i just got my new under body insulation retention clips this afternoon, and their rivets. im not familiar with this kind of rivet, so what do i use to install it?

Old 06-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

You use a bucking bar and an air chisel with a circular, flat face rivet punch. Place the rivet punch against the head of the rivet and someone holds the bucking bar against the shank of the rivet. If you are not concerned with originality, just use 1/2" diameter head pop rivets with the head against the fiberglass.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:37 PM
MyRed69
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In a pinch you can use a sledge or a big smooth faced hammer as the bucking bar and another smooth hammer as the rivet 'gun'. The rivets are aluminum and it doesn't take much to flatten them out. but it'll take two people if you're talking about the transmission tunnel. Not too difficult, I had the wife hold the bucking bar (I have the air chisel and rivet sets) and it looks great. But be careful having the wife help; if she is like mine she'll expect seat time if she helps with the rebuild...
Old 06-03-2011, 08:09 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi au,
Those rivets (and slight variations) are used in quite a few places on the underbody, cowl, and fender aprons.
I found that a 'nail set' for a large finishing nail, bought at the home store, works pretty well to gve the shaft the mushroom shape of the factory set rivets.
Good Luck,
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To what do i use to install the rivets for the under body insulation clips?

Quick Reply: what do i use to install the rivets for the under body insulation clips?