Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Window Seal

Old 04-05-2011, 10:08 AM
DVagedes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Window Seal

Does anybody have any recommendations on how to properly seal and hold the rear window in place, and have it look good too!?

I resealed it with the sticky window rope (I think from 3m) and it hold it in and seals fine, but it looks HORRIBLE! Not to mention that any dirt dust or debris that comes into contact with it sticks to the seal. permanently, and yes, it is very noticable...not impressed with this stuff and i am ready to replace it with something better, any suggestions?

Oh, its a 1976 model.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:52 PM
DVagedes
Intermediate

is there a better product available?

or do i just need more practice with butyl tape?
Old 04-06-2011, 08:40 AM
hwcoop
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

this was the way I installed mine...use Urethane
http://www.73spot.com/bulletin_files/rwindow.pdf
Old 04-06-2011, 09:16 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

This is what was used from the factory. http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=17385

It's not real hard to use and once in place it will stick.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:22 AM
Slvr77
Advanced

Great question, my project this week has been resealing the rear window on my 77. One of the top corners came loose and was vibrating around while driving.

So far I have removed the glass and am in the process of scraping off the old butyl tape. Getting both the glass and fiberglass surfaces clean is taking more time than I thought. I too bought replacememt 3m tape to reattach the window. Since I have yet to use the new tape if there is a better product I would like to try it.

I was not happy with the looks of the window to begin with, there was an 1/8inch or more gap between the glass and the car body. I see how the butyl tape can create this gap as there is no channel for the tape to sit in. Unless I am missing something I don't think I will be able to get the glass flush against the car body.

Anyone have any pictures of their rear window, if its taped in (not a removeable one) what does it look like at the seal ?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:29 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Slvr77
Great question, my project this week has been resealing the rear window on my 77. One of the top corners came loose and was vibrating around while driving.

So far I have removed the glass and am in the process of scraping off the old butyl tape. Getting both the glass and fiberglass surfaces clean is taking more time than I thought. I too bought replacememt 3m tape to reattach the window. Since I have yet to use the new tape if there is a better product I would like to try it.

I was not happy with the looks of the window to begin with, there was an 1/8inch or more gap between the glass and the car body. I see how the butyl tape can create this gap as there is no channel for the tape to sit in. Unless I am missing something I don't think I will be able to get the glass flush against the car body.

Anyone have any pictures of their rear window, if its taped in (not a removeable one) what does it look like at the seal ?
The glass never was flush to the car. When properly installed you will see the black edge of the tape and should have about 5/16" gap between the body and the glass. The 3M tape will hold this in without any issues.

When you use the tape, you want to start at the top so the bottom is one nice clean edge and your ends are at the top.

I can take a picture later today if no one post one up.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Slvr77
Advanced

I am thinking it is best to run the 3m tape around the edge of the window glass, and then push that up against the body. Instead of putting tape on the car body and pushing the bare glass into it.

that way you know the glass has a good seal all the way around. Thanks for the tip about keeping the seam at the top !

If I am thinking the wrong way let me know
Old 04-06-2011, 11:39 AM
bcr76
Navigator

I am also putting back window in the 76 after paint is complete. Has anyone put some kind trim on the outside between window and body? The previous owner had a black bead of sealant around outer window and body I thought it would look better with some sort of trim.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:11 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Slvr77
I am thinking it is best to run the 3m tape around the edge of the window glass, and then push that up against the body. Instead of putting tape on the car body and pushing the bare glass into it.

that way you know the glass has a good seal all the way around. Thanks for the tip about keeping the seam at the top !

If I am thinking the wrong way let me know
Always put the tape on the car and not the glass.... Trust me, this stuff will hold the glass just fine.. Actually you'll need to be careful when you put the glass in because if you get it in the wrong place they are hard to move.

Once you have the glass up on the tape, spread your fingers out wide and gently push, this will seat the glass.... Now here is a neat trick.. if you put a bright light in the car you can see if the glass is seated properly by looking for a glossy black touch mark. Everywhere the glass is touching the glass you'll see this.. you kind of have to do this to know what I'm talking about.

Willcox
Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 PM
ctroadster
Advanced

I recently did an RR on the 75 rear window and used the 3m butyl and the primer. I dont remember the name of the primer but its reccomended in the butyl instructions for good adherence. costs about $28 at body supplier. I also wasnt happy with the unfinished look of the job and I just happemed to have some peel and stick chrome strips in the garage. This was the stuff used to apply to doors and fenders to protect from parking lot dings and can be found at probably pep boys or simalar. its about 5/16-3/8 wide. I had enough to run a continus strip around the perimeter right on the butyl with the seam at the top. I have to say its what was needed and looks like its supposed to be there...if you need a pic I will try and post tomorrow

Last edited by ctroadster; 04-06-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:13 PM
DC3
Melting Slicks

Received 352 Likes on 253 Posts

You might consider converting to the removable rear window. I converted my '73 and it has been one of my favorite mods.

DC
Old 04-06-2011, 10:14 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

You know.. great post on the primer.. I left that off.. I too use this on every windshield or rear window glass installation.

I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of the untreated black strip there either. It tends to get dirt on it and look bad.. On the other side of the coin.. it is how the cars are supposed to look.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 469 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by hwcoop
this was the way I installed mine...use Urethane
http://www.73spot.com/bulletin_files/rwindow.pdf
Hate to say it but this is the best instructions you will find.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:59 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Tom-

I have a car in my shop right now where the customer used urethane. He pushed in to hard and the window sagged downward. We didn't do this install, but we are removing it and re-installing it for him. One other issue that I see is that he did not get a consistent bead, which may have lead him to push inward more than needed...

But I'll go out on a limb here for the people that want urethane.. When we use Urethane to install on any glass... We cut 1" long sections of the 3M tape sealer and put them on the car past where you would put the urethane... What this gives you is a fixed resting point for the glass and something to help keep the correct spacing. In the case of a back glass if used with some Duct tape it will not sag.

I like Urethane, but on the rear window the straight up ribbon tape is way to easy.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:39 PM
myoriginal77
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DC3
You might consider converting to the removable rear window. I converted my '73 and it has been one of my favorite mods.

DC

You'll enjoy it,

Frank
Old 05-18-2011, 11:03 AM
DVagedes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tom73
Hate to say it but this is the best instructions you will find.

^these instructions are exactly what anyone searching this post would be looking for^

I have since finished my window. I ended up being able to finish it well without the mess of removing the window.

First I cut back the butyl tape with a razor (carefully) and pulled out the excess with a pair of pliers. This removed the dirty tape and brought the tape down about a 1/4 of an inch from the body.

Then I taped off the class and body where I wanted the lines to be, filled the recess with urethane and ran a rounded metal edge along the tape to gather the excess and give a uniform look, just like you would do to caulk a bathtub or window.

If I had practiced on a bathtub or window first, I would not have had to do this:

Because the urethane stuck to the tape so well, it was impossible to peel it off and get the lines i expected, so, once the urethane dried, I took to the razor blade again, and simply cut the urethane flush with the body....it looks great. No dirt, no bulges, just a level, black, waterproof ribbon between the window and the body.

Thanks to everyone who put in their two cents, and best of luck to anyone who finds themselves in the same situation!
Old 03-22-2018, 09:05 PM
JDW77
1st Gear

Default Rear window

[QUOTE=DC3;1577275675]You might consider converting to the removable rear window. I converted my '73 and it has been one of my favorite mods . Getting ready to convert my 77 to removable , any tips ?
Old 03-23-2018, 01:46 PM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

[QUOTE=JDW77;1596839903]
Originally Posted by DC3
You might consider converting to the removable rear window. I converted my '73 and it has been one of my favorite mods . Getting ready to convert my 77 to removable , any tips ?
Looks like you found an old thread. Here is another thread I used when I did mine. Unfortunately it looks like the pictures are no longer available.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-of-pics.html

There is also this article that I read for some inspiration:
http://www.corvettemagazine.com/tech...-installation/

Good Luck
Old 04-20-2018, 12:06 PM
Backstop
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If anyone else is finding this old thread, there's a newer walkthrough with pics here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-77-coupe.html

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Window Seal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Window Seal