Sponsored by:

Rivet install ? See Pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 11:22 AM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Rivet install ? See Pics

I bought new BlowOut Clips and Rivets for my side pillar weatherstripping. The problem I have is that the Rivets supplied loosely go into the clip hole already - with no pressing needed. I thought it would take a hammer to get it in. Is this correct? Is there a way to still make this work? These are very small hollow rivets from one of the vendors here:

Old 03-25-2011, 11:55 AM
avner
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Hi
The correct way is to use air hummer gun with correct head that fit the rivet you going to use.
When you punch you need to hold the rivet head with an iron piece.

Good Luck
Avner
Old 03-25-2011, 12:24 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by avner
Hi
The correct way is to use air hummer gun with correct head that fit the rivet you going to use.
When you punch you need to hold the rivet head with an iron piece.

Good Luck
Avner
I think he's talking about much smaller rivets which hold the clip to the weatherstrip retainer.
I had mine replaced, a local Corvette shop staked the rivets for me. No sense buying a tool for a one time job.

Interesting tool, the air gun to stake the larger rivets. I've done all of mine with a hammer. Works but won't look original.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:32 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I fail to see the real benefit of these clips. The WS is not going anywhere or going to be blown out by highway speeds. All I see is when the rubber wears off, it just starts to scratch up the window.
What's their purpose or need to begin with? Are they really necessary?
Glenn
Old 03-25-2011, 12:49 PM
BBCorv70
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GD70
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I fail to see the real benefit of these clips. The WS is not going anywhere or going to be blown out by highway speeds. All I see is when the rubber wears off, it just starts to scratch up the window.
What's their purpose or need to begin with? Are they really necessary?
Glenn
My understanding is they hold the weatherstrip in place when the doors are closed. If all windows are up, slamming the door creates a momentary increase in air pressure which may cause the strip to push out. That's the theory I've heard.

Earlier models have one clip. Later have two. I don't recall when the change went into effect.

Fords use the same clip. I recall dealing with them on a few 69 Mustangs I've owned. They created an annoying rattle when the plastic wore off.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:51 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 79vetter
I bought new BlowOut Clips and Rivets for my side pillar weatherstripping. The problem I have is that the Rivets supplied loosely go into the clip hole already - with no pressing needed. I thought it would take a hammer to get it in. Is this correct? Is there a way to still make this work? These are very small hollow rivets from one of the vendors here:

You need the correct rivet set to roll over the edges. I believe it is a semi-tubular rivet. You may be able to get away with a ball bearing to flare out the opening & then flatten out the edges with a hammer.

I bought a rivet set from these guys

http://www.rivetsinstock.com/

Jim
Old 03-26-2011, 06:00 AM
79vetter
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for all the replies

Get notified of new replies

To Rivet install ? See Pics

Quick Reply: Rivet install ? See Pics