C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire won't take air

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:23 PM
giarcmo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tire won't take air

Hi I have a problem with my front passenger tire , It won't take air. The pressure is down to about 23 lbs after sitting all winter , has anyone had this problem ? If so, is it as simple as a valve stem or with the tire pressure sensors is it more involved than that ? Also is it safe to drive with the pressure that low. Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Old 03-22-2011, 10:47 PM
BearZ06
Safety Car

Received 1,324 Likes on 768 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

If your air chuck is good, the valve stem may need to be replaced. Will it work on the other tires? It shouldn't hurt to drive it slow, 30-40 mph.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 PM
'VETTE PHASE
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by giarcmo
Hi I have a problem with my front passenger tire , It won't take air. The pressure is down to about 23 lbs after sitting all winter , has anyone had this problem ? If so, is it as simple as a valve stem or with the tire pressure sensors is it more involved than that ? Also is it safe to drive with the pressure that low. Any help would be greatly appreciated .
The valve stem is the pressure sensor.

You can drive it with 0 pressure safely, they're runflats.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:55 AM
mike72
Pro

check to make sure the small O ring from the cap has not come loose and gotten lodged in the stem. This has happened to others.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:11 AM
giarcmo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 'VETTE PHASE
The valve stem is the pressure sensor.

You can drive it with 0 pressure safely, they're runflats.
Is the stem different than your normal valve stem ? Thank You for your help !
Old 03-23-2011, 01:05 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by mike72
check to make sure the small O ring from the cap has not come loose and gotten lodged in the stem. This has happened to others.
More often than you may think.

Is the stem different than your normal valve stem ? Thank You for your help !
Yes it's different in that the stem is part of the wheel sensor.

Pic:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1561341919-post5.html
Old 03-23-2011, 02:49 PM
giarcmo
Intermediate

Checked for the o ring , valve stem looks clear thanks for all the advice I think I'll bring it to the dealer and have them take care of it
Old 03-23-2011, 03:23 PM
Dave S
Retired & lovin' it!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 332 Posts

Checked for the o ring , valve stem looks clear thanks for all the advice I think I'll bring it to the dealer and have them take care of it
The valve CORE may be defective....cheap & easy to replace yourself. All you need is a slotted valve cap or the little slotted tool that all auto parts stores sell. The cores themselves are very cheap....usually less than a buck each. Just unscrew the existing core....watch your face that it doesn't fly out from the tire air pressure. Screw in the new core & inflate the tire.....2 minute job. If that doesn't work, then something's wrong with the TPS & the tire will have to be dismounted.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:33 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Default Valve stem

So if it does not take air, then the air hose chuck is not pressing the shrader valve in to open the valve. If you look into the valve stem, you will see what looks like the head of a pin. It should be flush with the end of the valve stem. If it is too far in, then the chuck won't press it. All you need is a valve stem tool to replace the little valve. When you take it out all the air will come out of the tire. put the new one in flush.

If you are using an air supply at a gas station, it may be worn or broken so it does not work the shrader properly. Try another one somewhere else.

Also, here in the South, we have insects that will nest in exposed little places and crud up things like valve stems. keep caps on everything.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave S
The valve CORE may be defective....cheap & easy to replace yourself. All you need is a slotted valve cap or the little slotted tool that all auto parts stores sell. The cores themselves are very cheap....usually less than a buck each. Just unscrew the existing core....watch your face that it doesn't fly out from the tire air pressure. Screw in the new core & inflate the tire.....2 minute job. If that doesn't work, then something's wrong with the TPS & the tire will have to be dismounted.
This would be my first thing to try.

Last edited by VET4LES; 03-24-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

This is a C5 Late model Tire pressure sensor. It looks very similar to the C6 sensor and yes,,, the STEM is part of the sensor:

Name:  ZO6carparts037.jpg
Views: 4442
Size:  88.3 KB

Name:  ZO6carparts038.jpg
Views: 4298
Size:  66.2 KB

Theres a RUBBER gasket inside the tire stem cap. Sometimes the valve stem CUTS the gasket and the cut part enters the valve stem. When it does, it will NOT allow air to pass Just use a pick and dig it out. Try pressing the small valve inside the stem and See if air will come out.

BC
Old 03-23-2011, 09:16 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,570 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave S
Old 03-24-2011, 04:27 PM
giarcmo
Intermediate

Well after looking closer (with my glasses on this time) turns out all it was was the rubber gasket from the cap. Thanks for everyone's help. You gotta love when its a simple fix !!!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:31 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Well after looking closer (with my glasses on this time) turns out all it was was the rubber gasket from the cap.
Told you.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:01 PM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Default TPS in the C6

Had a tire pressure sensor give out and stop functioning. After it was swapped and I reprogramed it, I spoke to my tire man about the cause of this failure.

According to him, these sensors have internal batteries that have a life span of about 8-10 years. He further went onto state, they are not rebuildable as they are factory sealed.

It is his opinon that there will be a lot of TPS sensors going out in the near future. He also warned me about the dangers of liquids being intoduced into the tire as it can cause TPS sensors to fail ( i.e. Fix-a-flat compound... personally I have never it but those using tires that are non-runflats may be temped ). Thought I would pass this along...
Old 03-24-2011, 11:40 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by C6topless
Had a tire pressure sensor give out and stop functioning. After it was swapped and I reprogramed it, I spoke to my tire man about the cause of this failure.

According to him, these sensors have internal batteries that have a life span of about 8-10 years. He further went onto state, they are not rebuildable as they are factory sealed.

It is his opinon that there will be a lot of TPS sensors going out in the near future. He also warned me about the dangers of liquids being intoduced into the tire as it can cause TPS sensors to fail ( i.e. Fix-a-flat compound... personally I have never it but those using tires that are non-runflats may be temped ). Thought I would pass this along...
Theres a fix for that. They sell generac aftermarket C5 sensors now that beat GM prices easily. Theres also a battery change fix thats easy enough to accomplish,, and its very inexpensive.

-Check out the links

- Tire pressure sensor rebuild - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1570376652 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-tutorial.html http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1575112894

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 03-24-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 02:02 AM
C6topless
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Theres a fix for that. They sell generac aftermarket C5 sensors now that beat GM prices easily. Theres also a battery change fix thats easy enough to accomplish,, and its very inexpensive.

-Check out the links

- Tire pressure sensor rebuild - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1570376652 http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-tutorial.html http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...post1575112894
the C5 sensor is different from the C6 in design based on my visual inspection of the two and this design change may prevent the fix like that done in the C5 TPS. However with that said, you are absolutely correct that the C5 can be refitted with a new battery. But it is my understanding, the new C6 sensor cannot at this time ( it is the solid grey TPS -- which also needs a reprogramer rather than a magnet to set ) ... Also to the best of my knowledge ( I am sure if I am wrong someone will tell me ) the C5 TPS will not function in a newer C6 that came with the grey TPS.

Perhaps I will collect up some dead C6 sensors and in my spare time work on correcting this problem

Last edited by C6topless; 03-26-2011 at 02:09 AM.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Heres a link with pictures of a C6 sensor. Your are CORRECT. The C5 Sensor will NOT retrofit into a C6.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...05-wheels.html

Get notified of new replies

To Tire won't take air

Quick Reply: Tire won't take air