C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

MAI Grand Sport Build 03/2011

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:52 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,530 Likes on 3,004 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizzard
Jim....Im thinking of adding fuel pressure to mine, or perhaps a simple light that would get my attention if fuel pressure drops.
Even a small drop in fuel pressure on a car running EFI (in the open loop mode) can lean the engine out causing lots of damage.
Ah, good point, Larry. I know dang near nothing about EFI systems and hadn't considered their needs.

Jim
Old 08-21-2013, 11:22 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

I left my camera to the shop, but I found an older crappy photo showing my gauge stuff.

I'm using very lightweight set up with home made gauge cluster plate made out of aluminum and powder coated hot rod black. Then I have a set of custom Autometer gauges, I can't believe how light these things are, they feel a lot lighter than their Ultra Lite gauges which I've used in the past builds.

Last edited by groovyjay; 08-21-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:06 PM
keystonefarm
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 77 Posts

Here's my entries !!! First my 66. These gauges were installed in 1973 so they are correct for that era !!

Next is my D&D. These phantom Auto Meters will be replaced this winter with a more era correct set.

Next is the new Mongoose. The D&D will get a set like this. ------ Ken

Last edited by keystonefarm; 08-21-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:57 PM
TheSaint
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

keystonefarm. From which car did you get the leather shift boot?
It looks really good
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2013, 05:44 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

To everyone:

I really appreciate the interior pictures, they are very inspiring and give a nice amount of guidence for people at this stage of their GS build.

The "Target", or "Purpose" of this Grand Sport build. (Very Important)
======================================== ======
I've thought a lot about Jim's question regarding my "Purpose" of this build, realizing you really can't have one car that's great and realaxing for the street, and then take it to a real race track, and expect to be reasonably competitive in a real race.

Put like that, My ride will be nice on the inside with C6 seats, dynomat for sound control, enough gauges and safety devices to be able to run safely, and pass inspection on most tracks for the track time I definitely want to do. I've always planned to take driving lessons, and be able to drive the car to and from the track. The car will look like a race car, but will have enough comforts in it to take on a roadtrip with my wife. As it is it should have a power to weight ratio at the flywheel under 5:1. fully loaded. At this weight and power level, it should be a blast to drive, and be actually capable of performing as well or better than just about any of the other street legal cars that would ever show up to a open track day.

If I want to start racing, I'll just visit with Jim and see about picking up a Grand Sport built exclusively for racing.

I think this is a decision that will allow me and my wife the opportunity to drive the car a lot, and really enjoy putting a lot of miles on a car we have spent a lot of money on. It might as well be fun to drive and enjoy. In essents able to do the "Route 66" type of road trip, in enough comfort to NOT want to come back home after a 2-3 week road trip.

Thoughts or advice??
===========================
BTW:Any other pictures you can add of your cars would be very much appreciated. These are the types of details that can make or break an otherwise beautiful car.

Thanks again,

Ty O'Neal
"Gulf" Grand Sport
aka: GS 427

Last edited by tyoneal; 08-27-2013 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Misspelling and general clean up that I missed

Quick Reply: MAI Grand Sport Build 03/2011