C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

MAI Grand Sport Build 03/2011

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 04:38 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default MAI Grand Sport Build 03/2011

Hello:

I thought I would post some updates on the Grand Sport I'm getting built/putting together.

I know I have posted many questions researching everything I can so hopefully this would come off reasonably smoothly. Here are some of the things I have accumulated so far.

Starting Point

I have 1964 Coupe that had part of a MAI "KIT" put on it. It's in decent shape and I hope to use the parts off of it on another car. (see photos)

It has a NOS 350 putting out about 400 hp. A little bit of a lope healthy and very street able, Muncie 2.10, with 4.10 gears in rear

The Bird Cage is clean, and I believe it to be a decent foundation for the car.

It has a couple nice Kirkley Racing Seats, as well as the original seats that came with it. I'm not sure why he didn't finish it other than he got the look he wanted and that was all he was after at the time.

Anyway, more later.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
Frisco, Texas
Attached Images       

Last edited by tyoneal; 03-22-2011 at 04:44 AM. Reason: Forgot some additional information.
The following users liked this post:
Darinminkler (04-28-2016)
Old 03-22-2011, 05:14 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I had spoken with Jeff a couple of times in the past and he has been very pleasant to visit with. I had contacted several people who had purchased his products and had had good luck with him and his company. I'm looking forward to working with him.

I started ordering parts the parts I knew I was going to need. I have some additional things going on with work so everything wasn't ordered at the same time. (I know Drivel)

Some of the things I have ordered:

The Front Clip with metal inserts
Daytona Small Block Hood with metal louvers installed
Rear deck with trunk lid
Door handle inserts with New Handles
Extended foot well pieces
Floor Pieces that contour to the 4 inch Rails
Transmission tunnel expansion parts for the T-56
Rear brake cooling ductwork

Some pictures of what has been coming in.
Attached Images       

Last edited by tyoneal; 03-22-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:17 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Here is a couple more pictures.......
There are a few more things that will be in soon.

I just received a couple pictures of the chassis. I should have some others soon.

More later.

Thanks,

Ty
Attached Images      

Last edited by tyoneal; 03-22-2011 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Forgot to add some information.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:59 AM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

The Drivetrain for the car will consist of a LS3 SS from Mast Motorsports.

http://www.mastmotorsports.com/2010/...lt%20N/A&id=75

With a weight in the area of 2700 pounds and a bit over 600 hp, the power to weight ratio should be lively at about 4.5 pounds per hp. From what I have read it's not quite as powerful as the originals, but it should be plenty.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of my time at Mast. Once they assembled the engine I was able to be there for the break in period and Dyno Runs.
Attached Images     
Old 03-22-2011, 08:32 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,513 Likes on 2,999 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Congratulations, Ty, on getting this project off the ground. You'll have lots of folks in the bleachers following your progress and cheering you on.

Is that your frame in the pictures or just a representative frame? Reason I ask, the motor mounts appear to be for early Chebby engines, not the LS series.

Good luck!

Jim
Old 03-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts

Ty's engine builder went for a ride in my GS Saturday afternoon.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:24 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizzard
Has his blood pressure returned to normal yet?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

This is awesome, another GS build! Good luck and may the forum be with you. I hope your dealings with Jeff are better than what I had... I waited over a year for my parts to arrive, didn't get my calls or emails answered.

Can't wait to see more!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:03 PM
Mr. Wizzard
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 187 Likes on 71 Posts

He's coming back for more tomorrow!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:02 PM
oldsarge
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Just say, way too KOOL !!!
Old 03-25-2011, 07:42 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jim lockwood
Congratulations, Ty, on getting this project off the ground. You'll have lots of folks in the bleachers following your progress and cheering you on.

Is that your frame in the pictures or just a representative frame? Reason I ask, the motor mounts appear to be for early Chebby engines, not the LS series.

Good luck!

Jim
=====================================
Jim:

Thanks for the email and encouragement, I just got back in town otherwise I would have written earlier.

From what I understand, I will use an adapter plate to mount my LS Engine.

I appreciate your interest and your keen eye, these generation 2 cars are still pretty new to me.

I'll update further as I get more information.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
Old 03-25-2011, 07:47 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

==================================
How did Horace enjoy the ride?

Which engine are you running now, I have forgotten.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:55 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by groovyjay
This is awesome, another GS build! Good luck and may the forum be with you. I hope your dealings with Jeff are better than what I had... I waited over a year for my parts to arrive, didn't get my calls or emails answered.

Can't wait to see more!
Jay:

I appreciate your encouragement, I've been wanting to build one of these for many years now, and it looks like it will finally happen.

Jeff called me yesterday and mentioned another box of parts were being shipped, so hopefully I'll have those pretty quickly. I think the plastic headlight covers were still backordered, but should be in before to long.

I'll post some additional pictures as soon as I can.

Take care,

Ty
The following users liked this post:
stingray2 (03-01-2024)
Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

He's coming back for more tomorrow!
==========================

Give us a complete play by play on his ride with you, I bet he had a blast.

If he is coming back for more, you need to give him the "Full Monty". I'm sure that will get his attention.

He was a real nice guy to work with, and I will definitely use him again. Also, from everything I have read, his products and his staff have done a nice job with their customers, and out in the marketplace.

What is your impression? I still have a 69 Camaro I want an LS engine in. Originally the LS3 I have was going into it, but the opportunity came up to build this Grand Sport, so this LS3 has been re-routed.

Maybe you can get Horace interested in a GS?

Anyway, I look forward to one of your updates soon.

Thanks,

Ty
Old 03-25-2011, 08:13 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by oldsarge
Just say, way too KOOL !!!
-----------------------------------------------------
Sarge:

Thanks for the compliment. I still have a ways to go, but if I can get everything I need reasonably quick, I have a guy locally who will help get the fiberglass and the miscellaneous jobs done where I hope I will have it on the road sometime later this year.

The place I am wanting to use is:

http://www.carrscorvettesandcustoms.com/

He has been around a while, and I have been on his waiting list now for about 6-7 months. I spoke with him about a week ago and he is just about ready to have a space for me. He hasn't worked on a C2 Grand Sport before, and seems to be real excited about the job. From what I have seen of his work, he does nice work.

If anyone has heard anything about him, please feel free to chime in, I am always looking for other people impressions, or advice.

Thanks,

Ty O'Neal
Old 03-25-2011, 08:31 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

To all:

Here are a couple more pictures I was sent in the last day or so. They are a bit dark, but I think they will still come out.

Here is the frame.

It still needs the recesses installed for the power steering and the Drive Shaft. I think at this point it will be pretty close to finished.

I have decided to have it Powder Coated Silver. I wanted something a bit lighter so oil and grease would hopefully show up faster if out on the track, so any sorting out, or repairs could be seen and fixed asap.

At least that is the idea. It worked out well in a car I crewed on that ran at Bonneville. Those high rpm's would show any weak links really quickly and since you were running on the edge all the time, and getting on top of a problem was paramount.

A couple of the chassis pictures I loaded again so referencing the power steering or the drive shaft areas could be seen easier with the new information.

The other two pictures are the donor suspension pieces that will be eventually fitted to the chassis once it has been finished and powder coated.

I hope all this makes sense.

As usual any advice is welcome.

Thanks a million.

Best regards,

Ty O'Neal
Attached Images      
Old 03-25-2011, 08:42 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Ty,

Although the C4 suspension wear items (wheel bearing assemblies, ball joints, etc.....) will be lightly loaded in your car (compared to a full-weight C4), you might consider having Jeff install all new parts in these locations. Reason being that you just don't want to take anything for granted when you take your car to the track.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To MAI Grand Sport Build 03/2011

Old 03-26-2011, 07:54 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Ty,

Although the C4 suspension wear items (wheel bearing assemblies, ball joints, etc.....) will be lightly loaded in your car (compared to a full-weight C4), you might consider having Jeff install all new parts in these locations. Reason being that you just don't want to take anything for granted when you take your car to the track.

Jim
Jim:

Thank you for the tip. It sounds logical to me, I'll send off a post to Jeff now.

Thanks again,

Ty

(Your insight/Hindsight is very appreciated)
Old 03-26-2011, 08:15 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by tyoneal

Thank you for the tip. It sounds logical to me, I'll send off a post to Jeff now.
This is what I did when I built my own GS. It gave a good feeling of confidence when I took to the track with an otherwise unproven, and lightly tested race car.

That said, I take nothing for granted.

I check and record the radial and lateral movement of the wheel bearing assemblies after every track event. When I see a sudden change, even if the assemblies otherwise feel fine, I change them out.

I take nothing for granted.

Jim
Old 03-26-2011, 08:38 PM
tyoneal
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

This is what I did when I built my own GS. It gave a good feeling of confidence when I took to the track with an otherwise unproven, and lightly tested race car.

That said, I take nothing for granted.

I check and record the radial and lateral movement of the wheel bearing assemblies after every track event. When I see a sudden change, even if the assemblies otherwise feel fine, I change them out.

I take nothing for granted.

Jim
=====================
Jim:

That sounds like good old Cheap insurance. One crash, and wheel bearings are incredibly cheap.

Thanks again, these are the types of things that I will need to get in the habit of checking and replacing.

You could write a book with boxes that could be checked every time one goes out on the track. Like a flight plan, or Dive plan, it sounds like something people need and would probably buy to keep with there log books.

Ty

Quick Reply: MAI Grand Sport Build 03/2011