C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 - 2005 Key Fob - Not Working - Help Please

Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Bls8195
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 - 2005 Key Fob - Not Working - Help Please

I have only 1 key fob - #1 for my 2005 C6, I cannot get it to work, I just got my windows tinted and it stopped working, I replaced the battery on the key fob and nothing still, I cannot get into my Corvette, what can I do? I did order a new key fob prior to this issue but still has yet to come in but not sure how to program them as my manual is locked in the car.

What are my options what can I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:01 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

Use the key to open the rear hatch, pull the emergency door release behind the left rear wheel well to open the driver's door. Then see if the car will start.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Bls8195
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Hope this is not a stupid question but I have never owned a vet until the past week but I don't see where I put the key in for the trunk.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:20 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Above the license plate, there's a key cylinder and a button. If it hasn't been used in years it may well be full of dirt and the key may not go in or may not turn. If so, try flooding the cylinder with WD40, try key, flood, try key, etc.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:29 PM
Bls8195
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Ok figured it out right before you sent that, I appreciate it, finally got into the car, but it will not start, nothing works, any ideas?

Dead Battery, or Key Fob or both? Where should I start?
Old 03-20-2011, 09:33 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Most likely the car battery. If it's a manual trans '05, it has to parked, shut off, with the trans in Rev to tell the computer to shut down. If you haven't done that then that's the main reason the battery would die. If not the case then may be just a bad battery or some other issue.

Very common to have battery issues with these cars, you really have to stay on top of it, keep an eye on it.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Bls8195
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Its an automatic
Old 03-21-2011, 01:06 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

You mentioned you just got the car back from window tinting. I suspect that the shop had the doors and hatch open for a long time and they probably ran the car battery down.

So first step would be to charge the car battery and then see what happens.

If after that it will not start, there is another way to get it started. In the glove box there is a slot (next to the transmission tunnel) that you can put the FOB in. Do this and then try and start the car. The orientation of the FOB in the slot is important so you might has to try it in both directions ( I 'think" the FOB buttions should be pointing towards the door.....it's been a while since I had to do this).

If that works, then the FOB is not being powered by the FOB battery. Check to make sure the new FOB battery is installed correctly.

If that didn't work than the FOB will need to be re-programmed to the car and that must be done by a dealer.

Good luck.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:51 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Originally Posted by FireRoc

If that didn't work than the FOB will need to be re-programmed to the car......

No, it won't. FOB's don't lose programming due to dead batteries.

and that must be done by a dealer

No, it doesn't. The owner can program if necessary. It may be slightly easier, and certainly more expensive, to have a dealer do it but an owner can do it. The instructions are available here on the Forum.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Bls8195
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Finally got the car started via jumper cables, but didn't want to start and first and said no fob programmed or something, but once I put the fob in the glovebox in the slot it started with the jump that is, so not sure if its a combo of both or what is going on either way she is at the dealership tonight and should have an answer tomorrow hopefully.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 PM
GordyRay
VETERAN
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 111 Likes on 62 Posts

Default KEY fob problem fixed today

howdy,
I had both key fobs inop. I couldn't open the door nor hatch.
So I went to Track Auto and bought two energizer batteries #2034 for $5 dollars. Used a screw driving to open the kep fob and insert the new battery. Now everything works great. This was an easy fix for only $5 bucks. I had replaced my car battery with an Optima Red back in the summer so I knew that the problem wasn't the car battery.
I was at the golf course and I couldn't get the car to open. So I used the key to open the hatch and pulled the wire to unlatch the door.
Car started fine. The next time I was stranded with this problem I was at work and when I opened the hatch the alarm went off and the cops came over to see what I was doing. Oh well , everything is good now.
Just get a #2032 battery for the key fob.
Good luck.
Gordy
Old 03-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Bls8195
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I tired the battery thing also and it still didn't work. Does the seal around the bottom of the fob turn red if wet? I am thinking maybe the kids spilled something on it, but not sure, just a thought.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Slammin07
Instructor

The buttons on the fob have to be facing the driver's side of the car. Actually just had to do this myself. If done correctly, the marker lights will flash twice.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:14 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Bls8195
Finally got the car started via jumper cables, but didn't want to start and first and said no fob programmed or something, but once I put the fob in the glovebox in the slot it started with the jump that is, so not sure if its a combo of both or what is going on either way she is at the dealership tonight and should have an answer tomorrow hopefully.
Don't let the dealer charge you for programming the fob. You can do a complete reprogram of the current fob or add another one for free using your manual or the instructions on this forum.

Make sure the fob battery is in correctly. Positive should be facing down.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 - 2005 Key Fob - Not Working - Help Please

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C6 - 2005 Key Fob - Not Working - Help Please