C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'81 Electric Mirror L/R Selector Switch Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Hardway
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Default '81 Electric Mirror L/R Selector Switch Wiring

When I removed the selector switch from the console one of the wires came unsoldered from the back of the switch. No big deal but now looking at it another one came off and now I do not know which wire goes to which pin. On the back of the switch each pin is numbered 1-6. I need to know which wires go to pins 5 & 6. The two wires are lt. green and lt. blue with no stripes. The rest of the switch is as follows. Pin 1: Green, Pin 2: Blue w/white stripe, Pin 3: White, Pin 4: Yellow. The wires connected to pins 1 & 2 branch off in to a 2 pin connector and the others go to a 4 pin connector. I have a wiring diagram for the car but it does not go in to this much detail for the switch itself. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:58 AM
tonyv123
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will this help?

Old 03-17-2011, 03:23 PM
Hardway
Pro

Thank you for posting up the image Tony. That is an awesome diagram, especially since it is in color. Where did it come from because my wiring diagram is only black and white and is in micro print.

Unfortunately it does not help since it does not show the pin numbers in which the wires go to. On my switch there are 3 wires on each side. I guess I will just solder them together, test the switch, and if it does not work solder them to the opposite terminals.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:04 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

That illustration is from a 1981 Chevrolet Shop Manual. It contains numerous similar illustrations, of all of the electronic systems. I was going to post the same illustration earlier, but tonyv123 beat me to it.

I have a complete set of wire harnesses out of an 81, outstairs in my shop. When I pulled them, I left all of the switches, relays, ECM, etc. attached to the harnesses. I don't think the car we took them from, had power mirrors though. I wanted to look at it today, but couldn't get a chance. I'll try to look tomorrow, to see if it has the power mirror toggle switch.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:06 PM
Hardway
Pro

I got it! The full pin out goes as follows. Pin 1: Green, Pin 2: Blue w/white stripe, Pin 3: White, Pin 4: Yellow, Pin 5: Lt. Green, Pin 6: Lt. Blue. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:58 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
That illustration is from a 1981 Chevrolet Shop Manual. It contains numerous similar illustrations, of all of the electronic systems. I was going to post the same illustration earlier, but tonyv123 beat me to it.

I have a complete set of wire harnesses out of an 81, outstairs in my shop. When I pulled them, I left all of the switches, relays, ECM, etc. attached to the harnesses. I don't think the car we took them from, had power mirrors though. I wanted to look at it today, but couldn't get a chance. I'll try to look tomorrow, to see if it has the power mirror toggle switch.
All of a sudden I have decided to add Power Mirrors. To be more exact C5 Power Mirrors. I really don't care what Switch and Joystick I use but the 81-82 one fits the console so I might as well try to find them. It Looks as though you may of had one back when this Tread was started. I'm sure they were not Corvette specific. The major Vendors don't seem to stock them. They probably have Plugs on them so I'd like them to if somebody has them. I'd think it wouldn't be that hard to wire ,just one more project to make sure I never get done. Thanx...
Old 01-10-2012, 01:41 AM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
All of a sudden I have decided to add Power Mirrors. To be more exact C5 Power Mirrors. I really don't care what Switch and Joystick I use but the 81-82 one fits the console so I might as well try to find them. It Looks as though you may of had one back when this Tread was started. I'm sure they were not Corvette specific. The major Vendors don't seem to stock them. They probably have Plugs on them so I'd like them to if somebody has them. I'd think it wouldn't be that hard to wire ,just one more project to make sure I never get done. Thanx...
I found both the Switch ( C4-PWSS-8182 ) and the Joystick used at Corvette recyclers at $100 and $200. So they must not be all that common and look as though they are sought after. A late C4 Switch is dime a dozen and will get me started. I'll see if I can get them going on the Workbench first.

Get notified of new replies

To '81 Electric Mirror L/R Selector Switch Wiring

Quick Reply: '81 Electric Mirror L/R Selector Switch Wiring