Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[Z06] Problems w/Check Engine Light & Traction Control System

Old 03-13-2011, 12:17 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Problems w/Check Engine Light & Traction Control System

Problem has been solved!!!!!
While driving yesterday; the check engine light started blinking and service traction system was displayed on the DIC. I did adjust my driving after these lights came on. After sitting overnight, same problems. Car info: 2009 Z06; M2W, Oil Remaining 47% and odometer reads 3000 miles.

Any suggestions other than maintenance service? Maybe 02 Sensor from bad gas? (prior to the trip, I did fill up w/gas)

Last edited by RobVette; 03-14-2011 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Problem was fixed!!!
Old 03-13-2011, 12:39 PM
My07C6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your onstar is working have them run a diagnostic scan.

Otherwise you can go to advance auto or many other parts stores and they will scan your car for free.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Jasil
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does that pretty often but only at a stop and never when I'm driving.....go figure. The minute I start moving it goes off again.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:45 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by My07C6
If your onstar is working have them run a diagnostic scan.

Otherwise you can go to advance auto or many other parts stores and they will scan your car for free.
I'm in Germany so the on star is not active.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:51 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

The reason the TC message shows up is there is a problem that is preventing the ECM from doing its part of the traction control function. Just a run of the mill emission system issue wouldn't do that. That probably means your problem is in the throttle control area. Some of those issues will also throw the car into limp home mode as well. You will need to get somebody to read the codes but a cheap scanner should be able to read the ones that concern you.

Bill
Old 03-13-2011, 09:42 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Check your batt & alternator. Those kinds of warnings are what the car will start throwing when the battery is low on charge. These cars are hard on batteries.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:18 AM
twinger01
Pro

Also check ur gas cap cuz that could b ur check engine light.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by twinger01
Also check ur gas cap cuz that could b ur check engine light.
That will definitely cause a code to be set and the check engine light to light but it will not generate a Service TC message. There are only a certain number of OBDII codes that will also generate a Service TC message. He needs to focus on the failure not on non failures.

Bill
Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That will definitely cause a code to be set and the check engine light to light but it will not generate a Service TC message. There are only a certain number of OBDII codes that will also generate a Service TC message. He needs to focus on the failure not on non failures.

Bill
Sometimes, things that do not seem to relate can cause codes to be thrown. When I installed a Vette-Air scoop and the Attack Blue air filter my car DIC would say "service traction control" and "service active handling". Sometimes it would cause the CEL to come on. All it was, was that the MAF was receiving turbulent air. After I removed the Attack Blue filter and made a diffuser for the Vette-Air, the problem was resolved. Plenty of posts on problems when people went with aftermarket air breathers.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:01 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

After a short drive tonight; I heard a clicking sound so I removed the plastic valve cover and noticed one spark plug cable OFF. Plug in the cable then went for a drive; now both (engine light & traction control) lights are off. And it's running & driving like a Z. Yesterday my co-polit said he heard a clicking sound but when I checked; it had stopped.

Thanks everyone for responding; this forum is awesome.

Last edited by RobVette; 03-14-2011 at 04:19 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 PM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

What would we do without GM warning lights and CF members.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by RobVette
After a short drive tonight; I heard a clicking sound so I removed the plastic valve cover and noticed one spark plug cable OFF. Plug in the cable then went for a drive; now both (engine light & traction control) lights are off. And it's running & driving like a Z. Yesterday my co-polit said he heard a clicking sound but when I checked; it had stopped.

Thanks everyone for responding; this forum is awesome.
A misfire will definitely set the Service TC message.

Bill
Old 03-15-2011, 02:17 AM
RobVette
Burning Brakes

Bill, since you mentioned it; i believed a misfire did occur before those lights came on. Then we started reading the manual and forgotten about the misfire!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:07 PM
blackjet
Heel & Toe

Drove 15 miles to work this am, everything ok, hop in at noon to go for lunch, running on 7cylinders, ticking on left side, "service traction control" message and CEL light on and all plug wires looked ok. Got on CF, did a search, found this thread, took cover off and found the problem: plug wire off coil pack! Problem solved, thanks to CF. 2010 Z 8800 miles.
The following users liked this post:
Mrmaalox (09-10-2017)
Old 06-22-2011, 01:20 AM
want2buy
Heel & Toe

Default C6/05 DIC problem

Originally Posted by RobVette
Problem has been solved!!!!!
While driving yesterday; the check engine light started blinking and service traction system was displayed on the DIC. I did adjust my driving after these lights came on. After sitting overnight, same problems. Car info: 2009 Z06; M2W, Oil Remaining 47% and odometer reads 3000 miles.

Any suggestions other than maintenance service? Maybe 02 Sensor from bad gas? (prior to the trip, I did fill up w/gas)
On our 05, the DIC is nothing but a bunch of dots and daskes. Does any body have any ideas on what might be the problem or how to correct it? I tried to disconnect the battery and see if it would reset but after about 1/2 hour, re-connected the battery and nothing changed. Never lost power to clock or any memory setting. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 675 Likes on 504 Posts

When was the last time you replaced your battery? Sometimes it takes more than just disconnecting it.

Thanks,
Laura
GM Customer Service
Old 04-19-2013, 05:21 PM
jayvee01
4th Gear

Default Fuel Gauge & Engine Maint light

Filled up with gas. Got in car and 'service fuel system' msg came on. Turned off engine, and checked filler cap was snug. Got home and
looked on the Vette forum and promptly purchased container of Chevron Techron additive.
Let set over night. Next day while driving to work the fuel gauge popped back and forth several times and end up on 'full' - where it should be. Engine service light is still lit. How do I reset this light?

Thanks a lot and thanks for all the previous info.

Get notified of new replies

To Problems w/Check Engine Light & Traction Control System

Old 04-28-2013, 06:17 PM
talionstallion21
Racer

This happened to me today. Started my 08 and it was idling very rough and the exhaust smelled funny. Service traction control and CEL came on, so parked it. Went on here and found "check your spark plug cables". One was off the the coil pack. Started it up and ran much better and no smell from exhaust but CEL is still on. Does this take awhile to reset??
Thanks to the forum for good data base of info.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by blackjet
Drove 15 miles to work this am, everything ok, hop in at noon to go for lunch, running on 7cylinders, ticking on left side, "service traction control" message and CEL light on and all plug wires looked ok. Got on CF, did a search, found this thread, took cover off and found the problem: plug wire off coil pack! Problem solved, thanks to CF. 2010 Z 8800 miles.
Same thing happened to me today. Service Traction Control & Service Active Handling messages came up and engine sounded like crap. Plug wire off the coil pack .

I really don't want this to happen again when I go to Vettes on the Rockies next month. Should I replace the plug wire that slipped off? How do you keep them from coming off?
Old 12-12-2013, 02:21 PM
Dallasb84
Advanced

Same thing just happened to me. Service traction light was blinking and I checked my plug wires. Bam! Lights still on though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: [Z06] Problems w/Check Engine Light & Traction Control System