C6 Tech/Performance LS2, LS3, LS7, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rivet Nuts

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rivet Nuts

Plan to use some AL/AK series rivet nuts to attach items to the thin sheet metal or fiberglass engine compartment panels. Seems like a much better idea than self tapping screws.

Anybody have alternatives these products?

http://www.acfcom.com/product_profil...g%20Manual.pdf
Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 AM
indyDan
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Dan, Rivnuts have been used in aircraft for as long as I can remember. The only issue is knowing the application. What are you installing? Most fasteners are application specific, so you should look closely at what load you have on it. I would hesitate putting anything heavy on a plastic panel though. Also, without the proper tools they can be hard to install.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Mez
Safety Car

Location: Austin, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Houston, Dallas, Hong Kong, Elgin, etc.. Texas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They are stronger than sheet metal screws or pop rivets depending on which model you use. I've used them in production and like them.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,505 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

The biggest problem with blind fasteners other than the actual installation is having enough blind side surface area to avoid breakout or distortion of the parent material. Some applications are impossible, due to the limited strength of the parent structure.

Get notified of new replies

To Rivet Nuts

Quick Reply: Rivet Nuts